Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New to the truck world

hman510

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been moto-only off the better part of the last decade, and landed here because I've been getting more into with track riding, which has become a logistical headache! X-runners seem like a good trackday transportation vehicle with some style, and have been looking around here the past few months to learn more.

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
Welcome to the Underground!!

G

hman510

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm doing a search too, but since people here seem to be reasonably knowledgeable and friendly, are the 06-07 xrunners prone to bent tailgates like other tacoma models?

Edit: NVM found the answer in a sticky.

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Welcome, hope you find and X soon, you have been missing out on a great truck!

madtrucker

Reaction score
The X is a lot of fun when the bed is empty too. Welcome to the Underground!

hman510

Reaction score
Thanks guys! So I'm facing a minor dillemma. I'm interested in xrunner's because they seem like fun, but a 4cylinder access cab would overall have lower costs to own. Has anyone had owned a basic truck, then gone to an x-runner or vice versa?

hrspwr236

Reaction score
There a few out there and from what I heard most people's driving style didn't not get great mileage as they had to stuff the pedal to the floor to get any power/acceleration. If you baby it, it could work, not sure if it's enough power to haul around a back the two trucks are in two different worlds. Style and performance vs economy and more or less same function but cheaper. That's my three cents

ISMarco

Reaction score
I got an X-runner to haul bikes too. It's still fun to drive even while hauling!

Never had a 4-cylinder Tacoma to compare though.

madtrucker

Reaction score
I would say take an X Runner for a test drive. See what all the fuss is about.

hman510

Reaction score
I got an X-runner to haul bikes too. It's still fun to drive even while hauling!

Never had a 4-cylinder Tacoma to compare though.

Cool to hear that! It seems like adding D rings are the hardpoint of choice. Do you remove the tailgate when loading/unloading bikes?

I would say take an X Runner for a test drive. See what all the fuss is about.

Seems like a good idea, I may just have to do that this weekend!

Last edited:

05xrunnerx

Reaction score
Cool to hear that! It seems like adding D rings are the hardpoint of choice. Do you remove the tailgate when loading/unloading bikes? Seems like a good idea, I may just have to do that this weekend!

I have loaded a lot of bikes and atvs in the back of my truck with the tail gate down. But the drings are a good idea when I had my 636 in the back of my truck I was nervous the whole way due to the way it was moving with the stock tie down points.

ISMarco

Reaction score
Cool to hear that! It seems like adding D rings are the hardpoint of choice. Do you remove the tailgate when loading/unloading bikes?

Seems like a good idea, I may just have to do that this weekend!

I keep my tailgate on. It does flex a little, but it's held up to probably a hundred loading/unloading cycles now. All my bikes are <400 lbs though, and my ramp has a large surface contact area with the tailgate to distribute the load. One thing I don't like is that a lot of my bikes are just long enough that the tailgate barely can't close. Some trucks have multiple tailgate strap lengths so you can hang the tailgate higher but I have to rig mine up with straps or leave it down haha.

I use my rear D-rings and brackets that bolt to the stock rail system. They're made by "JP Metal Fab" but I bet there are several options out there. Front D-rings would probably work just fine too.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Welcome to the Underground. Be sure uncheck out the vendor threads for all your truck needs.

Top Bottom