Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HID issues...

Scottiekoby

Reaction score
running Hids in the headlights and fogs now, but seems like the ballast are sucking up so much power. When i turn on the fogs and then off, the heads lights need a couple flicks and seconds to turn on. Anyone else have hid ballast issues?

FireB

Reaction score
Did you get a relay harness kit that powers the HID straight from the Battery?
If not, highly recommend you to do that. :)

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
You need to have a relay harness for your headlights... Also what headlights are you running?

TRSAndrew

Reaction score
Your factory wiring wasn't designed for HIDs, so you'll need to add in a relay harness to ensure the wiring is sufficient for the ballasts.

Also, projectors are best to maximize performance and minimize glare for others.

Scottiekoby

Reaction score
Just installed my relay harness from ddm and still encountering some minor problems. I'm going to check the grounding again, but there is still time where both ballast turn on at the same time. I have swapped out ballast and this encountering the same problem.

Any ideas? power is going to both ballast, so only thing i can think of is the ground.

giox

Reaction score
i had to get the warning cancelars.. something like that

Scottiekoby

Reaction score
what about fully digital ballast? they seem to draw less amps on start up? the ddm ballast. Anyone have problems with those on the stock wire harness?

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Just installed my relay harness from ddm and still encountering some minor problems. I'm going to check the grounding again, but there is still time where both ballast turn on at the same time. I have swapped out ballast and this encountering the same problem.

Any ideas? power is going to both ballast, so only thing i can think of is the ground.

The best ground would be where the rest of the grounds are next to the headlights on the sidewalls of the engine compartment

justin13703

Reaction score
what about fully digital ballast? they seem to draw less amps on start up? the ddm ballast. Anyone have problems with those on the stock wire harness?

I had a set of ddm hids on the headlights and the foglights on my truck for almost 4 years with no problems with either set. I had the relay harness for my headlights but not my foglights. They were also the slim digital ones. I would definitely check your grounds. Make sure they are good and to bare metal, not on top of paint.

metalpeddler88

Reaction score
Random thought. In addition to the relay, what if you got a cheap capacitor to add near the battery? I mean, it's for sound systems, but should supply power quicker when the battery bogs down. I'm sure wally world has cheap ones. Or invest into better quality battery?

Another thought, check for corrosion on the battery. Make sure it's a clean connection. Electrics do some weird things when they don't get the full juice they need. :top:

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
HID light are going to be out lawed for road use.

justin13703

Reaction score
HID light are going to be out lawed for road use.

They technically already are for cars that didn't come with them from the factory but they just don't really enforce it. Personally I don't think anything is going to change and I'm gonna keep running hid's in pretty much every car I own. They've saved me from deer on more than a couple occasions.

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
They technically already are for cars that didn't come with them from the factory but they just don't really enforce it. Personally I don't think anything is going to change and I'm gonna keep running hid's in pretty much every car I own. They've saved me from deer on more than a couple occasions.

I concur! Lol

hrspwr236

Reaction score
That won't enforce it merely on the fact that it does save lives because drivers can see farther and prevent possible collisions with people, wildlife and oncoming cars. I would be surprised if they don't make manufactures require HIDS in cars just as they are now require by 2018 for all cars to have standard rear camera. Safety features are a must and this is one of them, now the color temperature is another argument and cab support that, no one should go pass 6k becuase even at that point light output is not increased! There is a reason I run 3k FOGLIGHTS

Top Bottom