Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

brake booster issue ??????

Clown69

Reaction score
ok so today i was on the 710 fwy racing a mustang GT :burnout2: .... after spank his azz the traffic slowed down quickly and i slam on the brake and my truck wont stop i moved over to the emergency line to avoid hitting the car infront of me ..... i had my foot almost to the floor, i thought it was the pads or had air in the lines but i had changed the pads and bleed the lines before and nothing. i read on some forms that the booster my be bad .... DOSE ANYONE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM??????

justin13703

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone but I would think that if your brake booster is bad you would essentially just not have power brakes. The fact that you said your pedal went to the floor makes me think it is something else.

Clown69

Reaction score
yeah ur right ....... its fine when i drive normal but when im racing or fast braking it going to the floor ............ it feels like its not making a vacuum correctly

butters607

Reaction score
Mine does this too at the drag strip from 110-0 I think it's the pad and rotor combination your running also change out your fluid to ebc high temp

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
You need to flush your brake fluid out. Completely replace all of it.

From what you described you have boiled your fluid and the steam act like large air pockets in the fluid and you cannot compress the fluid to transfer the energy to the pads to clamp the rotor.

Brake fluid absorbs moister from the air. The moisture will boil when it gets hot enough. If you flush your brakes the boiling point goes way up and you are less likely to loose your brakes.

The second problem is that the brakes on this truck are to small and you can overwhelm them.

If you want to do a brake upgrade give me a call and I can help you there, but it is not cheap.

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
To complement Gadget, how many years has it been since you have flushed your brake fluid?

Edgeman

Reaction score
To complement Gadget, how many years has it been since you have flushed your brake fluid?

We should flush our brake system every few years. I know I'm overdue for my next flush...

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
Shouldn't be racing in traffic and you wouldn't of had the problem of almost hitting people

Clown69

Reaction score
i did a complete flush when i did the brakes on it ......

iampacman

Reaction score
I have a slightly different problem with my brakes.. I was driving to work last month, doing about 70 mph, I saw a buck, and needed to stop, so I mashed the pedal, and the pedal pushed back. I know my truck has ABS, but if this is ABS, I've never come across this kind before. Wtf? and What can I do about it?

jecbearclaw

Reaction score
Agreed with G, sounds like your boiling the moisture in your fluid.

If you did flush your brake fluid, what did you replace it with? DOT 3, 4, 5, 5.1? Was it a brand new bottle, or a bottle already open on the shelf?

gbrivera

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there, you definitely need to upgrade your brakes, before I upgrade mine I was tailgating one of my trailers 8x16, I was in the highway 60mph, suddenly I have to stop, I couldn't stop, it went all the way down, nothing happened. I didn't crash but was close...
After the upgrade is totally a different truck.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Upgrade the brakes and flush in all new fluid. Done.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Safe to say you have checked for leaks?

**For the gurus, is the booster always assisting? Or does it only assist in "panic" stops? I could see there being a minor leak that only rears it's ugly head under heavy brake pressure.

justin13703

Reaction score
Safe to say you have checked for leaks?

**For the gurus, is the booster always assisting? Or does it only assist in "panic" stops? I could see there being a minor leak that only rears it's ugly head under heavy brake pressure.

The booster is vacuum driven so it's pretty much always doing its thing whenever the motor is running

jecbearclaw

Reaction score
Brake%20Booster_zpsh9ptk5dk.jpg

Perhaps this will clear up any questions about how the vacuum brake booster works.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
I had the same problem, i ordered some dot 4 brake fluid and upgraded my pads and rotors. Seems to help alot. I still have problems with brake fade. I think that is what you are experiencing. Slap some EBC yellow pads and slotted rotors.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Single piston,tiny brakes rotors, coupled with drums, on sports truck that weighs 3900ish lbs, and has brake fade during a heavy stop.....nah.....

Possible scenario - pads were worn down a lot, fluid level in reservoir is low due to worn pads, which would mean boiled and or old. Yeah. New vendor has nice brake upgrade choice. A year on brake fluid, if you drive hard,means it is time to be replaced.

Top Bottom