Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Frame Rust Recall UPDATE

Braking Bad

Reaction score
My frame is getting replaced. Brought the truck in for another issue and they said the fram was bad enough to replace. They gave me a rental. Miss the truck... just tried to pull the taco e brake on a civic...

T4Z

Reaction score
I will try to remember to take some pictures. Mine looks good, decent job aside from some overspray on my exhaust that smelled terrible for a week...

Tunedx

Reaction score
I will try to remember to take some pictures. Mine looks good, decent job aside from some overspray on my exhaust that smelled terrible for a week...

Thks appreciate it. Any areas u recommend masking off.. Qa1, bbk inside rims barrels, x brace, exhaust etc...

akakrill

Reaction score
Toyota will be replacing my 4wd frame before winter. Since the xrunner is garage kept, i'm not letting them touch a thing. the dealership is replacing 2 a week, odds are by now they're in a rhythm. I wouldn't be to concerned everything is warrantied...

The EX

Reaction score
Not sure what model years this recall applies to but I was on the phone with my local dealer today doing some research for an upcoming project :burnout2: and was told by the service writer that my truck was eligible for a frame inspection. If they deem the frame is rusted beyond their standards they are replacing the frame. If not they clean up the frame and apply a protective coating. Just wanted everyone to know in the event that you have extensive frame rust and hadn't heard of this recall. :top:

Friend of mine had it done I guess it's just undercoating. And they didn't do a very conservative spray job either from what I saw. :.(

Judas

Reaction score
Brought mine in. They set an appointment to spray it before even looking at it.
And yea the spray made it all over the place, even some over spray on the back of my headlights. And the still managed to miss parts of the frame. Lol

cbatic

Reaction score
I bought my 05 x runner used with 50000 miles on it. if I take it to toyota will they still check it out or is it something that only applies to original owners. Just not sure how this recall thing works.. i live in indiana by the way if that matters. Just trying to prepare for the brutal winter to come..

Last edited:

archngl

Reaction score
Just got my truck back from Toyota regarding the frame/rust recall. Put the truck in the air at a friends garage and saw the biggest mess ever. Even my mechanic friend stated how poor a job it was and how incomplete the spray job was done. Many of the cupped channels had no spray in them meaning water is just going to collect and rot them out. Evidently it's a recall job with Toyota not giving a damn the quality of their work.

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
Not surprise, have the same issue at the dealer in Guelph :thumbdown: . They spray everywhere and miss the obvious. Top of frame at the front and the sides. Took it back and the inside of the frame was suppose to be done. Not by far could they do the job. I'm afraid the coating they use will let the rust spread under it and will not be visible until it's to late. I had them do undercoating when I bought the X and never sprayed where it should have been done.

TacoInvader

Reaction score
So for those of you that are getting your frame replaced how bad was it? I've found a fairly bad patch of rust right by the drivers side cat. The truck has been garage kept since I bought it in 07...

Here is the gore....
C6Kvkee.jpg

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
If you call that bad I don't know what mine is......:ahhhhh:

TacoInvader

Reaction score
haha, I know.... It doesn't go all the way through but there is rust under that entire area. I can jam a screw driver in there and move it around freely. I guess I'm just trying to gauge whether or not it is bad enough that it would be considered for replacement. The rust that is in other places is pretty superficial and surface only.

xrbeach13

Reaction score
My frame got approved this week I'll be doing mone when ever it comes in=)

Braking Bad

Reaction score
I got my truck back last Friday and everything was pretty much ok. The new frame has extra braces, all new bolts are stainless.

Top Bottom