Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Anyone know why there is no transmission oil change schedule?

Edgeman

Reaction score
Toyota only says to "check" the transmission oil every 30K, but to change the diff oil every 30K. I understand the diff change schedule with our clutch type LSDs (05-08), but I don't understand no oil change intervals for our transmissions?

I only did the diff at 30K, but I'm changing the oil in both gearboxes this time (just hit 60K).

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
I just do both of mine every 30k

keeps my baby running smooth

Gadget

Reaction score
Toyota has a very unusual transmission oil change method for this truck.

You pretty much never change the oil. Just change the whole transmission as needed.

The most I have ever gotten out of a stock trans was about 25,000 miles before it was grinding so bad it had to be replaced.

It sure would be nice if the transmission would last long enough to think about a fluid change.

Thats right, I said it!!!

G

Edgeman

Reaction score

You pretty much never change the oil. Just change the whole transmission as needed.

The most I have ever gotten out of a stock trans was about 25,000 miles before it was grinding so bad it had to be replaced.

It sure would be nice if the transmission would last long enough to think about a fluid change.

G

Ouch! I feel lucky.

justin13703

Reaction score

G

This man speaks the truth here.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
No way I go that long on any of those parts. No way. Just doesn't make logical sense. Screw Toyota's "run it to failure" mentality.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
It will be far to broken down at that point. Temperature and time kill it. I change my transmission fluid every three to four oil changes. Oil changes for me are 3-4k

FireB

Reaction score
It's nice to crawl underneath the truck to inspect how much rust damage has taken over while you do the diff oil and tranny oil change yourself. LOL
I do mine 30K and seemingly running smoother that way.

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
I have 83k miles on my stock trans with no issues what so ever. Been pushing ~ double the stock whp for a good 50k miles. I change my trans fluid every 3rd oil change though. Still shifts smooth as butter, no grinds. **** waiting 30k.

justin13703

Reaction score
I have 83k miles on my stock trans with no issues what so ever. Been pushing ~ double the stock whp for a good 50k miles. I change my trans fluid every 3rd oil change though. Still shifts smooth as butter, no grinds. **** waiting 30k.

For every 20 people on this forum who have trans issues there may be one that doesn't. You're a lucky one. Give it time though. Lol

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
If I'm one of 20, what are the chances the other 19 don't take care of servicing their trucks?

justin13703

Reaction score
If I'm one of 20, what are the chances the other 19 don't take care of servicing their trucks?

Pretty unlikely since there seem to be a lot of threads about changing the trans fluid and what fluid to use etc...floating around here, and people generally join a forum to help with things like maintenance.

I for one never beat on my truck or abused it because I couldn't afford to fix it if I broke it, and in under 60k miles, it tore up 3 throwout bearings, 1 clutch, and the synchros in 1st, 2nd, and 5th gear. And it had Redline Mt-90 in it, changed about every 15k miles. NOT something you want from a truck you payed over 20k for and less than 7 years old. Hell my old jeep I payed 500 dollars for has a quarter million miles on the factory clutch and shifts smoother than a tacoma 6 speed could ever dream of. The truck was fun as hell, but the transmissions are complete garbage. Oh and the gearing in them is a joke as well lol

raziug

Reaction score
I don't understand these claims of bad transmissions... My boss has 275,000 miles on his x-runner and has never had transmission issues. I have driven 120,000 miles and have no transmission issues...

Mortifer

Reaction score
155,000 miles here on my 06 X with stock transmission, clutch and TOB. No problems beyond the annoying TOB squeak for the last couple years.
I've changed the trans and diff fluid at 50k and 100k, about to do it again.

What are the symptoms of these failing transmissions?

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
155,000 miles here on my 06 X with stock transmission, clutch and TOB. No problems beyond the annoying TOB squeak for the last couple years.
I've changed the trans and diff fluid at 50k and 100k, about to do it again.

What are the symptoms of these failing transmissions?

A lot of people have problems with high rpm shifts initially. Others, such as myself, have problems just trying to do regular daily driving. Most people complain about 2nd being the worst, but 3rd and 4th are what drove me to rebuild my transmission at 65k miles. URD'S throw out bearing would fix your chirp, and I'd recommend fixing it before the throw out bearing damages the aluminum snout it rides on beyond repair. Glad to hear your transmission is holding up well. I bought my truck used at 60k so I have no idea what it's life was like prior to me buying it. VIN service records show it had transmission fluid changed at 30k miles, so maybe the first owner was already having problems. Works great for me now.

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
In answer to the original question, I'd recommend changing it at least every 50k miles. That's what the schedule was on my old 300zx and I did the same with my 82 Toyota Supra. Ive always used Redline and I really like it. Also added a little Xtreme Friction Fighter to my transmission, it smoothed things out even with fresh fluid on my newly rebuilt transmission. I've gone with and without it in the transmission and it really does feel better with it to me. Smoother when it's cold, smoother overall. Here's an interesting video demonstration for anyone who's curious. [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g_3oRfi9uAY[/ame]
It's manufactured about 30 miles from where I live.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
I just change it every 30k. I have 95k on my Tacoma and still on the first tranny. Don't ask me how cause I dog it alot

sixstringdave

Reaction score
I put Redline MT-90 in mine at around 45k miles.

Sitting at 110k miles and the only thing that has popped up was the TOB. It chirped for about a year.

Got the upgrade kit from URD with their stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel.

I drive this old girl gently most of the time(prolly cause I'm not a young man anymore) but there are a lot of times I smash through the gears with my foot matted to the floor as I get on the freeway. Gotta love a sweet on ramp with some curves to it.

Shifts through every gear smoothly. Keeping my fingers crossed :smile:

Top Bottom