Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Junkyard supercharged

Phracker

Reaction score
I picked up a 07 back in 2013 with 38k miles on it. Truck had the heavy Leer 700 cover on the back and some royal purple in the diff. Since owning the truck, I've replaced the cover with a lighter Bakflip G2, picked up a TRD SS and swapped the fluids with Amsoil. The 2nd syncro is a dog, but double clutching tends to hide the problem.

At the end of 2013, I found a supercharger in a yard for $2500. I printed out the list of parts and went to see if it was worth it. The guy had already pulled it off the truck and sent the engine off to somebody else. They had pulled almost everything that was needed, and even gave me parts that are not part of the kit (Throttle body, intake manifold, fuel rail, JBA shorties with cats and O2 sensors).

Now, this isn't my first trip to the junk yard. I was told before I purchased it that they will contact the guy who picked up the long block and see about sending me the pulleys. Sure enough, I got the pulleys I could replace and lost a few parts that are not listed in Toyota or TRD's parts catalogue.

So, over hopefully the next year I will post my build and piece together a TRD supercharger from a yard.

SC.jpgheaders.jpgintake.jpg

Ignore the south bend clutch box, it's just a box to safely store the heat exchanger.

Parts that will also be fitted:
1) UCON EMS
2) JBA 2035S
3) Eaton M90 qwikchange kit (3" and 2.8" pulleys)
4) CAI (open to suggestions)

20131119_105209.jpg

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
This will be interesting. Keep the updates coming.

What kind of shape is the s/c in?

Phracker

Reaction score
Here is what $2500 got me. South bend clutch box had the heat exchanger in it. Yes, that price did include the JBA headers, O2 and cats. It also came with an extra intake manifold and throttle body.

TRD_sc.jpgHeaders.jpgIntake.jpg

Idler.jpgCrank.jpg

Idler pulley was rusted, so my guess that the engine was exposed to our wetcoast weather out here for a good year.

Phracker

Reaction score
Pump.jpgBolts.jpgBrackets.jpg

Here is a list of rest:
- Intercooler pump + reservoir
- Wiring for the pump + relay and fuse
- Intercooler hoses (damaged and some cut)
- Random bolts. Thankfully they gave me the longer crank bolt with washer
- Two brackets. This made me scratch my head, but I guess they just started tossing everything in the box

Phracker

Reaction score
It's was a bit of luck. The spare intake has no plans yet, but the throttle body will get bored out a few mm.

I'll put together a detailed post in the next couple of days. Until then, here is bill from the yard.

20160103_170823.jpg

MiamiChillin

Reaction score
Turbocharger...lol

*edit* didnt see the "supercharger" after turbo lol

Last edited:

Phracker

Reaction score
Sorry, I had a few parts at work for measurements.

Tensioner.jpg20160104_183118.jpg20160103_170141.jpg

I'm missing the bracket for the tensioner and the spacers that sit behind the idlers (C8-C10). C5 should be easy to build. No reply from Magnuson, so I'll give them a call this week and see if I can get a bracket for the tensioner.

I bought equivalent M10 double ended studs from McMaster Carr.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well you are getting there. With any luck, Magnuson will have a positive answer for you.

Phracker

Reaction score
Sadly no. Magnuson informed me that they will handle it similar to TRD. Service parts will be sold, but oddball parts like the tensioner bracket will be available only in the kits.

I have confidence in finishing what I've started.

justin13703

Reaction score
I figured this is what was probably gonna happen when I saw this thread start. Finding missing parts for a Trd supercharger kit is next to impossible and there's people on here all the time that pick them up for cheap missing stuff and end up giving them away because they just can't get parts.

STONER-X

Reaction score
Find a pic or someone with a sc.. and make one.. if I remember it is only a hunk of cast with a pulley or two.. can't be anything more than some tubing and a few metal plates to mount a pulley.

The part is cast because it is cheap to make not because it's the best

Phracker

Reaction score
Yep, that's exactly what I plan todo. I have three clean photos of the bracket and using the import image to sketch function in solidworks. If the numbers are good (+- 0.005") I'll start to cut something out of steel or aluminum.

Ideally I would rather pull the front of the truck apart and just spend 3-4 days taking measurements. That way I have perfect alignment with the belt system and can easily spot clearance issues.

STONER-X

Reaction score
One word of advice.. if possible try to make a belt maintenance access spot otherwise you have to remove the entire assembly to change either belt.. not a big deal just a small pita

Top Bottom