Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

5 speed auto issues

SgtBadA

Reaction score
So my dads tacoma is a 2005 doublecab SR5 2wd. It has close to 250,000 miles now, so here is the issue. It seems to skip over gears when under light acceleration. Like going from 2nd to 3rd and skip 4th and straight to 5th at like 30mph. Under heavier acceleration it doesnt do it and it accerlerates really smooth. Toyota says the fluid is a lifetime fluid and should never be changed. Could it be a shift relay or something? Or maybe the fluid is finally bad. I know most on here have 6 speed sticks but i know alot on here are knowledgeable on toyotas. Any advice would help us out.

Redlantern

Reaction score
When's the last time the transmission was serviced? I'm 5 speed auto as well. When my truck hit 60k I did a fluid flush even though it says lifetime. I just don't trust using fluid for that long.

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
If you end up needing a new trans I have one in my basement that I got when I bought my motor. It has roughly 8k miles and has been sitting in my basement collecting dust. I'll let it go for a decent price of needed. Shipping will be a bitch though cause I'm in Canada

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Damn well ill see whats up how much USDollars for the transmission just in case? The transmission has never been serviced before

hiflyer

Reaction score
Damn well ill see whats up how much USDollars for the transmission just in case? The transmission has never been serviced before

That might be the issue

I'd flush with Amsoil and then replace with Amsoil atf

Made a huge difference in my 6 speed. My 5 speed auto runs smooth too

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Ill have to try it. Is there a method to flushing it yourself? Or a how to thread?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
The "Lifetime" of the vehicle has already been passed 2.5 times.

No fluids last forever. I don't care what Toyota says. They would rather tell you that, than just replace your transmission after 100k.

hiflyer

Reaction score
Ill have to try it. Is there a method to flushing it yourself? Or a how to thread?

But do yourself a huge favor and spring for a quality product like Amsoil to flush with !

The $10 you'd save over a generic product isn't worth it IMHO!

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Oh definately, royal purple is whats going in it. Thats all i use in my truck and im trying to get him to do the same

Top Bottom