Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbocharger or supercharger

What type of FI do you prefer?

• Supercharger

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Turbocharger

Votes: 81 53.6%
  • NOS

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Methanol

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None for me thanks

Votes: 8 5.3%

• Total voters

07XR808

Reaction score
Which would you prefer if the turbocharger was mass-produced and why?

Last edited:

Jonathan

Reaction score
just FYI.......methonal isnt effective without the turbo or s/c.........

my choice? tuuuuurbbbbooo

although i did have very good luck with the URD SC.

we'll see if my mind changes once my turbo kit is done being built and see how much of a PITA it is :)

07XR808

Reaction score
just FYI.......methonal isnt effective without the turbo or s/c.........

For that poll option I guess it only applies to people with turbo and s/c and if they feel its a big boost to them or more of a risk.

rx-runner

Reaction score
i would say turbo, only cuz i had a turbocharged car, and once the boost kicks in...youre off. plus you get great high end torque

064X4V6TRDSport

Reaction score
i would say turbo, only cuz i had a turbocharged car, and once the boost kicks in...youre off. plus you get great high end torque

That is where the problem lies with turdo. You have to wait for it to kick in and blow off. Where as with a S/C there is no waiting. If the motor is running then you are Super Charged. If anyone disagrees with my thinking please say so cause I am always ready to learn more. Re-educate me.

5000XD

Reaction score
Jon. Can I start saving money for a turbo kit? :)

Both are pretty potent options IMO.

Jonathan

Reaction score
That is where the problem lies with turdo. You have to wait for it to kick in and blow off. Where as with a S/C there is no waiting. If the motor is running then you are Super Charged. If anyone disagrees with my thinking please say so cause I am always ready to learn more. Re-educate me.

depends what type of sc. with a centrifugal sc, boost comes in slow.

when i was running 8 lbs boost s/c on my xr it was as follows

2k rpm - none
3k rpm - 3lbs
4k rpm - 5 lbs
5k rpm - 8 lbs

now, a turbo you will get your full 8-10 psi before 3k

azjimi

Reaction score
depends what type of sc. with a centrifugal sc, boost comes in slow.

when i was running 8 lbs boost s/c on my xr it was as follows

2k rpm - none
3k rpm - 3lbs
4k rpm - 5 lbs
5k rpm - 8 lbs

now, a turbo you will get your full 8-10 psi before 3k

Of course that's what makes the S/C seemless. I'm not aware I even have one except I have more power. It doesn't kick in like VTEC or a turbo. I'm not saying this is good or bad....just a big diff & probably a matter of personal preference, w/the turbo being more race oriented & the S/C more faily driver suited. What I'd love to do is drive each back to back!

Organic Mechanic

Reaction score
want to learn about turbos and superchargers

read these books

Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems (Engineering and Performance) by Corky Bell

http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost...=pd_bbs_2/002-5435876-6129655?ie=UTF8&s=books

Supercharged! Design, Testing and Installation of Supercharger Systems (Paperback) by Corky Bell

http://www.amazon.com/Supercharged-..._bbs_sr_3/002-5435876-6129655?ie=UTF8&s=books

I read both of these books while I was going to techical college. They are excellent.

I was considering both a supercharger and a turbo for my first gen Rx7. Turbos have a big advantage in rotaries, as there exhaust is hotter than piston engines, so the choice seamed clear.

on a larger, low rpm (what I would consider anything under 7-7500rpm) torquey engine like our v6, a roots or even better, a screw type supercharger could work excellently. a centrifugal would not be my choice

lots of people say that turbos are lagy or slow to come on. This can be true, and can also be true of superchargers also. The lag of a turbo depends on LOTS of things, most of all, the size of the exhaust side of the turbocharger.

the exhaust side (called the turbine) has MANY MANY variations and sizes that affect its performance.

some are dual channel, most single
some have the wastegates (used to control speed) built in, some have seperate (external) wastegates

the size of the inlet and the rate at which it becomes smaller (think snail) called the AR ratio can affect things A LOT.
there are also various turbine style, various blade numbers and trims that affect boost.

same goes for the compressor side

the design of the exhaust manifold affects lag also.

a properly sized turbo can make amazing power, and can bring it on smoothly and efficiently.

smaller turbos will spin up almost instantly, but will run out of pressure on the high end. They all create lots more heat and exhaust backpressure.

large turbos will spin up slower, but will make more power at the same boost levels. this is because of less exhaust backpressure, and less heat.

you need to find what you want and what works somewhere in between.

READ THE BOOKS there worth it.

BTW heres a few pix of my Turbo converted Rx7
this has been a 5 year project that I started when 17.

close to 400hp and around 2200lbs. it is the cheapest model of the first gens, and the lightest of the 3 series' of the first generation.
it has a 13b turbo from japan,
a modified borg warner to4b turbo 1.15 AR P-trim divided exhaust, with a 60 trim compressor
haltech e6k engine management.
fuel cell with aeromotive pump and AN6 lines
3in turbo back magnaflow exhaust

an old pic of the outside, but the only one I have
https://mavdisk.mnsu.edu/creare/images/011_20A.JPG

engine bay, ( a v-mount intercooler is in the works)
https://mavdisk.mnsu.edu/creare/images/first drive 009.jpg

fuel cell
https://mavdisk.mnsu.edu/creare/images/newtank 010.jpg

guages
https://mavdisk.mnsu.edu/creare/images/first drive 006.jpg

trust me, its a scary car to drive

EagleKeeper

Reaction score
Turbo. However, in my field of work, we prefer TURBINES. Unfortunatley, that's not a feasible option for the X. :bawling:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Of course that's what makes the S/C seemless. I'm not aware I even have one except I have more power. It doesn't kick in like VTEC or a turbo. I'm not saying this is good or bad....just a big diff & probably a matter of personal preference, w/the turbo being more race oriented & the S/C more faily driver suited. What I'd love to do is drive each back to back!

did he say vtec :questionmark:

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
Well...I don't have either and can't afford either for a loooonnnnngggg time. But if someone had a gun to my head and told me to choose one to install in my truck...and they would pay for it :dontknow: I would choose TURBOCHARGED.

07XR808

Reaction score
did he say vtec :questionmark:
haha, yeah. i guess he's referring to how VTEC could be like a turbo when it kicks in at higher rpms, it feels like a spool, but obviously the two things are not even close

Jonathan

Reaction score
VTEC??? we have VVTi which is way better than VTECH, much smoother.

read the thread, he was refering to v tec only bc the turbo comes on more like that, where a supercharger is more linear. he wasnt talking about our motors, just the delivery of power.

Organic Mechanic

Reaction score
read my first post, turbos can come on off idle if you want it to.

it all depends on the turbo chosen

you can also run sequential turbo systems where a small turbo starts it off, and a larger one kicks in at higher boosts.

this can be found on such factory cars as the 3rd generation Rx7 and the 4th gen supra. although they are very complex to set up.

azjimi

Reaction score
read the thread, he was refering to v tec only bc the turbo comes on more like that, where a supercharger is more linear. he wasnt talking about our motors, just the delivery of power.

Thanks, J! If you ever need a job as an English interpreter.....

gerk

Reaction score
i love that 1st gen rx7 organic!!!!!:rock:

Top Bottom