Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SC belt slipping - is this evidence?

Tom2769

Reaction score
My TRD S/C is giving me about 3-4 psi and I'm looking for possible sources of boost leak, belt slip, etc. My oil filter has an odd dirt pattern on the outside, somewhat near the S/C belt. Is this evidence of belt slipping and throwing rubber dust onto the oil filter housing? Or did the prior owner just put a greasy thumbprint on there? (see pic)

Attachments

• SC belt.jpg
    SC belt.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 307

TRON

Reaction score
Most people don't experience belt slip with a stock 3 inch pulley. Boost is relative; so if you are in higher elevation during the hot summer months 3 or 4 psi can be normal. If the belt is aligned correctly there shouldn't be any sign of wear on your oil filter. I would clean the oil filter and see if it repeats the same pattern

30Birdy

Reaction score
^^^^
Good advice. I have put 2000 miles on my TRD Supercharger and I live at 4600 feet above sea level. I don't have any wear on my filter like that.

Tom2769

Reaction score
Thanks Tron, I thought it was a long shot. I'm in Chandler, AZ so elevation is about 1,200. But it is crazy hot now. 3-4 psi still seems low to me at this elevation, but maybe it really is just the combo of heat and slightly less backpressure from my 3" catback. Sounds like it's time for a smaller pulley - and all that comes with it...

Tom2769

Reaction score
30Birdy, I just noticed that you are in Sierra Vista. I think that puts you at about 4,600 feet (?). What kind of psi are you getting from the TRD at that elevation on 100+ degree afternoons?

30Birdy

Reaction score
Can't tell yet. I just received my custom Speed Hut gauges. I need to get them installed this weekend. Then I'll be able to see.

30Birdy

Reaction score
It looks like one needle width over 4 psi on my Speedhut guage. AFR seems alittle fat up here too. Guess I''ll install the URD pump and stealth pulley soon too ;-)

Tom2769

Reaction score
30, that's not bad for your elevation. I found a kink in my boost gauge line. Replaced the line and now I'm consistently showing just a tick over 4psi too, but I think I should be higher at this elevation. Looking forward to the cooler temps...

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
What all exhaust modifications do you have Tom?

Tom2769

Reaction score
Stock manifolds and y pipe with a magnaflow 3" catback. Once it cools down enough to work in the garage, I'm planning on spec U headers and exhaust - the drone is getting old. I suppose the lower back pressure of the catback could be bringing down my measured boost a bit...

XMPLRY808

Reaction score
I only get 4.8 psi here in Hawaii but I run open headers lol

Top Bottom