Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-up: Installing Hitch Reciever

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Ok everyone. I got my Curt MFG. hitch reciever all installed and i figured i would share.

First you need to jack the truck up and chock the front wheels and throw a couple of jack stands under it. Safety first:top: Use your head and make sure the truck is solid on jackstands. And that the truck wont roll or shift off the damn things

Next, unbolt the X-brace and remove it completely from the truck. Set it aside along with the bolts that hold it on.
Hitchinstall1.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

Now loosen the bolts on the bumper brackets. They basically hold the bumper onto the truck. You want to remove the foward(towards the front of the truck) bolt and the bolt below that(as you look at the bracket) But leave all the rest of the bolts in place.
Hitchinstall2.jpg

You want to make sure and loosen all the bolts enough to get the brackets to separate from the frame. The hitch receiver mounts in between the frame and the bumper brackets.
Hitchinstall3.jpg

Push the receiver up in between the brackets and frame. I had to use my legs to lift the other side as i lifted one end up with my arms. It weighs about 40lbs. so its not heavy. Just make sure and line it up IN BETWEEN the brackets and the frame. Once you have it there use the bolts you removed from the brackets to hold it into place. Then you'll have to remove the rear most bolts in order to install the steel spacers.
In this next pic, you will see the receiver in between the brackets and frame. And you will also see the steel spacers provided in the kit you must use. (the bolts on the right side in the pic)
Hitchinstall4.jpg

Now you need to mount the X-brace back up. You'll have to use 2 of the new bolts in the kit to secure the brace. The two rear-most factory bolts that hold the brace on will be replaced by new ones. And then you will use the 2 other new bolts in the kit to help secure the receiver. I left ALL the bolts loose until i had all of them in and double checked to make sure everything was all good.
Hitchinstall6.jpg

Once i knew it was all good, i tightened all the bolts down using an impact gun. The kit instructions say to tighten it all down the around 65 foot lbs. But i banged them all down real tight using my gun.
Hitchinstall7.jpg

Well, i suppose that is it. Pretty easy. And somewhat fun. Rememeber to be safe when getting under your truck. Use common sense! Make sure it is solid, up on a good set of jackstands!

Enjoy!

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice write-up. Moved to the How-To section! :top: I did the install by myself and thought that doing it that way was a PITA so I just removed the bumper. :D

gpd005

Reaction score
I did mine on Tuesday night and almost did the same write-up. We have a lift so that made it a little easier but it's not a bad install and looks nice on there too.

XRunninT

Reaction score
Thanks for this post good write-up was thinking of adding a tow hitch but was wondering how it would look.
Looks good

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Whoa! Went to look at my thread and see it was moved. Heh, didnt think it was in the wrong spot under Exterior Mods, but i suppose it goes better here in the 'how-to' section.

Yea, i was gonna put up some better pics of the "after" but spaced out. Ill try and get some up real soon so others can get a real good look of how its gonna look when its all said and done!

Thanks for the replies!

mrguy33391

Reaction score
So what is the towing capacity of that hitch?? And bring the waverunner over here for a weekend of summer fun.

Venomous_X

Reaction score
When I installed one for a local member here, I removed the bumper as well. It didnt have instructions either lol. :top:

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Im going to be all over with that waverunner bro! I wouldnt mind doing some ocean action with it either. The capacity is 5000lbs. towing and 500lbs. tongue weight.

Removing the bumper is totally unnecessary. You just have to loosen the bolts, remove two of them and slide the hitch in there. Its really light and i was able to do it by myself no problem. But i am used to doing EVERY mod by myself so i am a bit intuitive in that regard.

As long as you are safe, it doesnt really matter how it is done. Im going to try and get some better pics up after work... if i remember:rolleyez:

Xrunner Drifter

Reaction score
Can u post some more pics of the hitch on the truck.
How much was the hitch and where did you get it?

dbredleader

Reaction score
Receiver

Took 30 min w/ a helper. Nice fit. Some bumper re-alignment was needed before final torque up.

turbomach1

Reaction score
Nice write up. Was wondering what the tow limmit was
On these trucks.

triumphx

Reaction score
I believe its 3500 lb although i pulled a 3900 lb mini excavator with no issues

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Damn. I am not sure what happened to those pics. I havent logged into Photobucket in soooooo loooooong... Sorry about that guys. I will try to get some back up..

roy365

Reaction score

Make sure you remove the x-brace bolts before you try to install the hitch. I got everything taken off/loose and tried to mount the hitch before i realized the instructions, and videos don't mention the removal of the two bolts. :hmmmm2:. Having a helper is REALLY nice when it comes to getting the bumper bolts in. You have to lift up the bumper to get the holes to align right.

There will be two holes that are empty to begin with that get used with the new hitch system. Either blow some air in them, or spray a lubricant on the bolts because there is going to be dirt inside those I promise.

Top Bottom