Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Truck turns over but will not start.

Minnesota X

Reaction score
I have a 2006 x runner that I bought two years ago. The vehicle was a theft recovery, when I got it the bulbs for the fog lights were missing, the ignition cylinder had been damaged cosmetically, and the plug for the power mirror switch was missing (the wires were all there and the switch was there, but the actual connector was missing). Because of that its hard to say if anything else has been changed that I have not found yet.
The truck came with a viper 5301 remote starter, and about a year and a half ago I put on a URD tcai, dtlt headers, URD catback, and a maf cal.
I have had no issues until about two months ago, I was driving down the road and my alarm started going off, I hit the unlock button and turned it off (this was also the way that I found out that my truck had an alarm). Around the same time I tried starting my truck, and it would turn over but not fire, a friend towed it the two miles home, and by the time it got there it fired up no problem. After that it ran fine for about a month, and now it is doing it again. It will turn over, but there is no spark or fuel being pumped, there are no engine codes, and other times it will fire right up. Once it is running, it runs perfect other then that the cruise doesn't work, when I press the button to turn it on, the light will come on and then shortly after it will turn off. Also the door lock on the driver side doesnt work all of the time, I have checked the switch and it works fine, but sometimes it will only lock, sometimes it will only unlock, and sometimes it will not do anything, and the passenger side switch works everytime.
I have taken out the maf cal, remote start, and I had it into the dealer to reflash the computer because I saw a tsb that dealt with reflashing the computer because of intermittant spark. The dealer said that there were no strange codes that could explain it, but that the computer did need to be updated. I thought this was the fix, but it is still acting up. I have checked all of the fuses and they are all good, I have checked the wiring for the remote starter and I can't see any that have come loose causing a problem, and I have checked connections to the ecu, the crank and cam positioning sensors. The only thing that seems to consistently fix it temporarily is to disconnect the battery for a while. I am running short of ideas, and I don't want to have to take it to a shop. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

triumphx

Reaction score
Remove the remote start and see what that does, sounds like a loose connection somewhere

Minnesota X

Reaction score
I removed the remote start unit, but left the wires. I looked at all of the wiring and I don't see any wires that have come loose.

Coupe

Reaction score
Some alarms have a cut out relay, that prevents the car from being started, once an alarm is set off. They are usually attached to the starter relay.

TRDreams

Reaction score
To check test relays easily just swap them into one that shares the same style relay

Minnesota X

Reaction score
I have tried replacing relays, and it doesn't make any difference. One more thing that I just remembered is that I have had this truck up to 130. Could this mean that the governor has been bypassed, and if so could that have anything to do with the issue?

MplsX

Reaction score
Unless you are driving a police car the speedos in most cars and trucks read fast, especially at higher speeds. Fire up that GPS on your fancy phone and check it out. Oh, Coupe was referring to a separate relay attached to the starter relay. So you are looking for a circuit attached to the starter relay with another relay on it.

Canadian Girl

Reaction score
It sounds like you have an ignition disable installed in the truck. Have you looked at that option ? Or looked into that?

Poke Squid

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad ground on the ecu wiring or under the dash. Good luck mang.

Minnesota X

Reaction score
Found out today that the wire at the ecm that comes from the ignition switch did not have power when the switch was turned to the run position. I jumpered power to this wire and it fired right up, however before i could start testing for the reason, the truck stopped acting up so I couldn't test for anything. I checked half a dozen times while the truck was acting up and with it jumpered it would start, without it jumpered it would not start.
So I still haven't found the problem or fixed it, but at least I have somewhere to start the next time that it acts up on me.

zacksblacktaco

Reaction score
funny you have this issue, I just got rid of my Tacoma 3 days ago for this same exact issue...
Toyota quoted me the wiring harness at 4,000$
goodluck man I hope you fix her

06XMAN

Reaction score
That's a weird issue man. Glad you found what the problem was. Keep us updated if there's any problems.

Minnesota X

Reaction score
Well it's been two months since I found the issue, and naturally it hasn't acted up since I found the problem. If it acts up again and I can fknd out why I will update what I find out.

Top Bottom