Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Supercharging a 2TR Prado

iniazy

Reaction score
Ok, so here's an interesting project coming up. I've got a customer for the 2TR supercharger kit sitting in my workshop. a 2TR-powered SWB Prado:
IMG-20150428-WA0005_zpsutttmg1e.jpg

The kit is again from that company I wish not to name (starts with Alpine Developments). I had it installed on a HiLux couple of years ago, but shortly afterwards and before we finish the job the guy sold the truck and took the kit off. Here's some pictures of the kit when first installed:

DSC_0346.jpg

IMG-20120925-WA0001.jpg

DSC_0381.jpg

It utilizes water-to-air intercooling with Laminova cores.

It is a short wheel base 2TR Prado, 2011 year model. The Prado is the vehicle upon which the Tacoma, 4Runner, and FJ Cruiser are based. In old models, 2009 and below, the SWB versions came with either inline four or 1GR V6. 2010+ they discontinued the V6 for the SWB and only provided it with L4.

Most likely the Prado L4 ECU is identical to the HiLux ECU, but I have yet to make sure. This is the pin layout of the HiLux ECU, can someone tell me if it is the same as the 2TR Tacoma or not?

Toyota%20Raider%202700%20bipolar%20Smt8v4_zpswhgfc9w5.jpg

I will not be starting before 14 May, will be ordering a few parts for him in the mean time.

Redlantern

Reaction score
Should contact gadget. He would know. He has a sc kit for the 2tr tacos as well. I think he uses map ecu3 for them so he most likely has the info you need.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I know where to find a dyno of an N/A 2TR for rough comparison. Curious to see how this performs after the mod.

I am also curious if there is a file for the UCON that makes it work for the 2TR? Since you have one, you could test it on the Prado.

iniazy

Reaction score
I know where to find a dyno of an N/A 2TR for rough comparison. Curious to see how this performs after the mod.

I am also curious if there is a file for the UCON that makes it work for the 2TR? Since you have one, you could test it on the Prado.

No way. The UCON is specifically designed for the 1GR ECU, and the plugs will not go into the 2TR ECU.

That's why Gadget uses the MAP-ECU3 for the 2TR Tacoma.

I don't have the UCON anymore, it's been sent back to Gadget to be replaced with a universal MAP-ECU3, still waiting for it to get to him.

The HiLux 2TR makes 118 HP on the wheels. With the supercharger it should make around 200 to 215 WHP.

sounds pretty sketch to me

Yeah, but the guy had to choose between buying a new URD unit for $4000+ not including shipping and customs charges all the way to Saudi Arabia, and between getting one for $1500, no shipping charges.

I told him the problems faced previously and we agreed that he will not pay anything until he tests the car after installation and is satisfied with it.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. I understand now.

Sounds like a good practice to me. :top:

iniazy

Reaction score
Anyone can tell me if the Tacoma 2TR uses a Toyota AFR sensor or a conventional narrowband O2 sensor?

The 2TR HiLux uses a single 1-volt narrowband O2 sensor, my assumption is they will be the same, but I've just seen a diagram somewhere that cast some doubt upon me.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I cannot help technically, but I can offer this. Compare the 2TR's pre-cat sensor to your vehicle's pre-cat sensors. If the harness plugs are the same, swap them and make sure that you get no check engine lights. If you have a Scangauge to see if the swapped sensors are reading properly then there you have it.

Otherwise, compare part numbers and see if they are the same.

iniazy

Reaction score
I cannot help technically, but I can offer this. Compare the 2TR's pre-cat sensor to your vehicle's pre-cat sensors. If the harness plugs are the same, swap them and make sure that you get no check engine lights. If you have a Scangauge to see if the swapped sensors are reading properly then there you have it.

Otherwise, compare part numbers and see if they are the same.

Yeah, part numbers is much easier :) Thanks.

iniazy

Reaction score
It looks like it's a AFR. (edit: I was wrong. HiLux uses single O2 and Prado/Tacoma uses AFR upstream and O2 downstream).

There's a guy in the UAE who has bought URD's 2TR kit for a HiLux and used the AFR calibrator, and looks like it's working fine with him.

That explains why I've always had trouble tuning the HiLux in the past; I used to intercept the O2 sensor and modify its voltage. Yet another BIG failure in the Alpine Developments installation instructions. MAN! That caused me so much trouble in the past.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well you've got figured out now. What a hassle.

iniazy

Reaction score
Perfect Power wired to the harness extension:
DSC_0310_zpskyny1stz.jpg

I know it can't tune based on MAP, but I'm hoping it will do with stock injectors. The SMT8 V4 has \built-in dual channel AFR adjusters, but I've never tried it properly before. So I'll try it here and see if they work. If not, then a MAP-ECU will be in the works.

Now just waiting for the guy to bring his Prado in.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well you already have the extension harness. If it does come to be that you switch to the Map-ECU, then wiring wise, you already have one piece of that puzzle.

That is a tuning device which is not common State side. Never have seen it before. Does it only adjust the AFR, with no MAF intercept?

iniazy

Reaction score
Well you already have the extension harness. If it does come to be that you switch to the Map-ECU, then wiring wise, you already have one piece of that puzzle.

That is a tuning device which is not common State side. Never have seen it before. Does it only adjust the AFR, with no MAF intercept?

It does MAF intercept and AFR adjust, and advance and retard timing. But the biggest drawback is that it uses TPS for engine load, which is not a very good idea with FI. It may work for N/A. I'm hoping it would work here since I'm not changing the injectors. It does have a 1D MAP table, more like a compensation table actually, and requires an external MAP sensor.

This is the one I had in my Fortuner V6 before I removed it and installed the MAP-ECU, because it wasn't capable of handling the larger injectors.

iniazy

Reaction score
Prado is in my driveway, getting ready to go under the knife.

I welded a widebad sensor bung in the exhaust pipe yesterday upstream of the first Cat, and plugged it with a screw, in preparation for plugging in the AFR gauge. The guys at the exhaust shop were kind enough to do it for me for free, long time customer.

Now I need to find a MAF housing. The MAF sensor in this Prado is quite different than the HiLux, the latter uses the same Denso sensor that is in the 1GR engine, but this one is quite different, looks just like the tacoma's.

Also, another difference is the Prado has a rear O2 sensor, while in the HiLux there was only one AFR sensor, no O2 sensors.

I took the car for a spin, and I have to say what was Toyota thinking, fitting this engine in this car. It is immensely underpowered, really sluggish. Much more so than the HiLux, I think the Prado is considerably heavier. Especially with this four speed auto. I understand now why the owner wants so desperately up the power.

Here's a picture of the Prado in my driveway:
DSC_0332_zpsifstnhvi.jpg

A picture of the engine bay:
DSC_0331_zps39ouwycu.jpg

I'll be out this evening looking for a MAF housing for this MAF sensor. I wonder if there's an adapter to plug in the 1GR-style MAF sensor to this harness.

I would be grateful if someone can share the wiring diagram of the 2TR engine to the MAP-ECU3.

Last edited:

iniazy

Reaction score
I just discovered a revelation! The HiLux actually does use a single narrow-band sensor. I just found an old defective O2 sensor that I pulled from a HiLux several years ago, and checked the part number and plug shape, and cross-checking it with RockAuto parts, it turns out to be a heated O2 sensor, not an AFR sensor.

While in the Prado (and I'm guessing the Tacoma 2TR as well) it has a front AFR and rear O2.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Which year model Hilux?

I would imagine to keep costs down, that Hilux's using the 1GR would have AFR sensors pre cat, and O2 post cat, just like here in the States. I could be wrong though.

Also, if you can take a close up of the MAF sensor, from the part which meters the air, as well as its flange, that we could find something online.

Top Bottom