Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

AFE Twisted Steel Headers?

Darkside-X

Reaction score
Like the title says. Anyone ever use the AFE Twisted Steel Headers? I want to order headers asap but I don't want longtubes. I want to either get shorties and weld stock cats on or use these AFE. Downside is that AFE is $1200. Any input will help, even recommending which shorties are good. Thanks!
http://afepower.com/shop/details_ne...odel=Tacoma&year=2013&engine=4.0L&&brandID=99

UPDATED WITH NEW MODS AND PICTURES

Last edited:

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Sweet! Shorties for 2012+ that price tag hurts but looks like a good savings to add the y pipe!

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Whats the pipe above the header? EGR piping? I have the older 1GRFE.

Reaction score
I think it's funny that even with cats, they still aren't CA legal.

I would assume that gains are similar to other brands of shorty header for the 1GR.

Darkside-X

Reaction score
Sweet! Shorties for 2012+ that price tag hurts but looks like a good savings to add the y pipe!

The shorties on URD are around $400 but then I got to cut and weld my stock cats on. The AFE come with "high flow" cats. From what I have heard, all stock cats now days are actually high flow. The after market hight flow may only give you few hp over stock. I don't really want to do cutting and welding of my cats, but also don't want to spend $1250 on AFE.

Red-XR-Pride

Reaction score
Its all worthless to. Are you getting it tunes after you put them on? Because if you arent you most likely will not see gains. If anything a lose if power

Darkside-X

Reaction score
I don't think Ill lose any power from an exhaust, especially since I got the trd charger on it. I'm also going to be getting smaller pulley and already have the urd tcai (not installed yet) for my truck. The funny thing is, most of the time and exhaust and intake is always a first choice of an upgrade to let the vehicle breath better for future mods. Plus the newer trucks like mine don't have any plug and play tuners and I'm still lookng for something I can get for mine (2013).

cmart357

Reaction score
I just had the thorley short tubes welded in a few weeks ago and there nice. It was a great addition to the few other mods I have on the truck and it made my exhaust sound quite a bit better with deeper tone and a little more rumble on deceleration. Felt like a little bump in power and im sure it will be better when I get my maf cal tuned. Dyno proven better then stock and being smog legal is nice.

Darkside-X

Reaction score
I just had the thorley short tubes welded in a few weeks ago and there nice. It was a great addition to the few other mods I have on the truck and it made my exhaust sound quite a bit better with deeper tone and a little more rumble on deceleration. Felt like a little bump in power and im sure it will be better when I get my maf cal tuned. Dyno proven better then stock and being smog legal is nice.

I ended up ordering the thorley shorties and spec-u exhaust instead of the AFE headers. I'm still waiting for them to ship tho... is been a few weeks now. Also got a bunch more ordered on top of that. I'll let you know how I like it when it's all installed.

Darkside-X

Reaction score
I ended up ordering the thorley shorties and spec-u exhaust instead of the AFE headers. I'm still waiting for them to ship tho... is been a few weeks now. Also got a bunch more ordered on top of that. I'll let you know how I like it when it's all installed.

UPDATE:
I ended up getting the AFE twisted Steel Headers, and I love them. Second pic is the AFE vs the Doug Thorley

Attachments

• 20150408_140911.jpg
    20150408_140911.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 213
  • 20150318_172023.jpg
    20150318_172023.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 225

Darkside-X

Reaction score
What did you pay for them?

G

I ended up paying $1075 shipped. I talked to you on phone a week or so ago about them. So far I am liking them. No issues bolting up and the brace and y pipe matched up perfect. No check engine light either. Only downfall is that they are only 409 grade SS and I am hoping they don't rust out. Kinda disappointed now that I saw you have the equal lengths coming now for the newer trucks.

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
UPDATE:
I ended up getting the AFE twisted Steel Headers, and I love them. Second pic is the AFE vs the Doug Thorley

Nice,
Me, I would have waited for the URD Long tubes and pick-up the URD Y-pipe and have cats welded into the URD Y-pipe. I have done this on a few other auto's we have owned. The worst issue I have had is CEL P-0421. To fix that CEL. I drill out a spark plug anti-fowler and used it as a spacer on the rear 02 sensor. The .99 cent part works like a champ. Moves the rear 02 up so it doesn't get too much flow across it.
Trust me I though the same thing your thinking right now! That guy so full of $h!t his eyes are even brown. But trust me I was going nuts too. So after spending all kinds of CASH on tunes and all the other BS I had nothing more to lose and pony up the $3.00 for two spark plug fowlers and drill the one out and installed it. SHIT the damn thing worked! :stupid: OMG yes it WORKED! :dontknow: :hmmmm2:
Oh, all cats are not the same! High Flow cats are *mostly* metallic 200 cell count or less. Ceramic cats are *mostly* OEM.

AZ

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Nice,
Me, I would have waited for the URD Long tubes and pick-up the URD Y-pipe and have cats welded into the URD Y-pipe. I have done this on a few other auto's we have owned. The worst issue I have had is CEL P-0421. To fix that CEL. I drill out a spark plug anti-fowler and used it as a spacer on the rear 02 sensor. The .99 cent part works like a champ. Moves the rear 02 up so it doesn't get too much flow across it.
Trust me I though the same thing your thinking right now! That guy so full of $h!t his eyes are even brown. But trust me I was going nuts too. So after spending all kinds of CASH on tunes and all the other BS I had nothing more to lose and pony up the $3.00 for two spark plug fowlers and drill the one out and installed it. SHIT the damn thing worked! :stupid: OMG yes it WORKED! :dontknow: :hmmmm2:
Oh, all cats are not the same! High Flow cats are *mostly* metallic 200 cell count or less. Ceramic cats are *mostly* OEM.

AZ

Although more expensive than your fix, I have used this defouler

https://www.modernperformance.com/product/Vibrant_Oxygen_Sensor_Defouler/calibersrt4_exhaust_universal

Hard Taco

Formerly Known As "Sn3akrs"
Reaction score
I just got an Afe exhaust. I'm curious on this because I haven't seen anyone running it on an X

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score

hrspwr236

Reaction score
I have heard owners with that setup with get a "to lean" code on bank 2.

PPE in Tempe sells different sizes of tubes like the one you have posted. It might be just trial and error mostly errors in my case.

Oh, The AFE headers do look better the the DT's!

AZ

The kit comes with a few different size tubes to adjust the sensor placement. Worked great on my SRT4.

Top Bottom