Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DIY Intake Manifold Spacer

bobber bill

Reaction score
If anybody is interested in making their own intake manifold spacer, you can do it with a spare OEM upper manifold.

Parts needed:

- spare upper intake manifold
- 6 extended manifold mounting screws and washer (I'll update with actual size)
- new manifold gasket
- pair of balls to cut the manifold

Process:

- simply machine/remove the intake runners from the mounting flange on the manifold.
- make the top of your cut on the spacer perfectly flat (this is the top of your spacer, must be smooth and flat for the gasket to seal)
- install between lower manifold and upper manifold using new extended hardware

I like these a lot better than aluminum spacers for a number of reasons:

- lighter weight
- less heat transfer
- OEM quality material
- full 1" thick (which is double the effective thickness and theoretical improvement vs currently available 1/2" aluminum spacer)

I've done this and tested it thousands of miles, on and off road in a prerunner (real prerunning desert race courses and large whoops at high speed) with zero problems. Zero leaks or damages.

It's really hard to get this across to people on Tacomaworld, because they're all convinced that this is a BS mod and most of them are too chicken shit to do anything that doesn't come with a factory warranty. I'm pretty sure XR owners are more handy and aware of the actual benefits of a manifold spacer.

I don't make these to sell, just passing on the info for those who are equipped to make their own.

Pictures should be pretty self explanatory. If anybody is in the Socal LA / OC area, you are welcome to check mine out since I no longer need it. I also have a good spare manifold if anybody local needs one.

Pictures before install / testing:

After testing, still perfect. No leaks or damages.

Installed. Fits better than a glove:

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice. Someone else did this some years ago, but I don't believe they made a "How-to" thread.

iniazy

Reaction score
Very nice. I think you only benefit from the extended length of the runners if you are N/A. It doesn't make any difference for FI folks.

Mr.X

Reaction score
Have you dyno'd this, I understand the concept of it but the other spacer on the market I believe makes low end but loses top end power. Does this act the same way? Or is the extra thickness a key factor to sustain power?

bobber bill

Reaction score
No actual dyno, just user experience.

Strong low to mid range gains. There may be a slight top end loss, but definitely nothing that is noticeable.

The difference in length effectively doubles the improvement in flow and plenum volume.

Gadget

Reaction score
The URD DynoLab is open to anyone that wants to verify any benefit to this.

G

Coupe

Reaction score
There are a couple of stays (supports) on the driver's side that help support the manifold. Did you make longer ones? or are you running without them?

Reaction score
In order to test fitment, I could go to a scrapyard, get 2 intake manifold flanges, cut one, and try to see if they seal, then take mine off, then install the two test fit ones?

bobber bill

Reaction score
There are a couple of stays (supports) on the driver's side that help support the manifold. Did you make longer ones? or are you running without them?

Got rid of the supports. There were zero issues after thousands of miles of testing over a period of 3 years. Hundreds of those miles were high speed off road (prerunning racecourse).

Should be fine for a street truck.

In order to test fitment, I could go to a scrapyard, get 2 intake manifold flanges, cut one, and try to see if they seal, then take mine off, then install the two test fit ones?

You only need 1 extra manifold flange. You will get that from a spare intake manifold, once you machine it off with a mill or some other means.

As long as you are able to make the cut perfectly flat and smooth, you shouldn't have any issues with sealing. You should use a new OEM manifold gasket as well.

Reaction score
Got rid of the supports. There were zero issues after thousands of miles of testing over a period of 3 years. Hundreds of those miles were high speed off road (prerunning racecourse).

Should be fine for a street truck.

You only need 1 extra manifold flange. You will get that from a spare intake manifold, once you machine it off with a mill or some other means.

As long as you are able to make the cut perfectly flat and smooth, you shouldn't have any issues with sealing. You should use a new OEM manifold gasket as well.
I don't have a mill.... what other means is there?

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Dremel tool will do it just fine with a cutting wheel

Reaction score
Bobber bill hooked me up, and so far I am loving this. Before my truck ran uneven and shifted hard because my mods were all top in with no low end...this seemed to smooth it all out through the powerband.

XMPLRY808

Reaction score
Nice mod... Dang I just threw my stock intake manifold away after installing the trd supercharger.

iniazy

Reaction score
Nice mod... Dang I just threw my stock intake manifold away after installing the trd supercharger.

I doubt you'll see any benefit, with a supercharger. I think it improves the flow of air, if you have the free-flowing air of an NA.

Top Bottom