Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rock Chips

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
Anyone else having problems with the molding around the rear wheels chipping? Mine are chipping really bad at the bottom front...

rich017

Reaction score
i have minor chipping and im pretty sure everyone on this site has some chip marks. It all depends on what roads you drive on. Dirt/gravel roads kill our trucks

Hi_On_X

Reaction score
I got the chip too, Freakin' sucks Man! :thumpdown:

06ATLBSP

"Snickers"
Reaction score
This unfortunately is a very common problem and in fact is one of the few complaints I have about this truck. In some instances the dealer will repaint them, as they did with me, but you really have to be persistent with them. Good luck tryin to get it fixed.

I would put some 3M clear bra material on em if they ever repaint them so it dosnt happed again.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
My dealer re-painted mine no questions asked. They told me they had painted another XR as well due to this.

DJmckay

Reaction score
yeah i have the same problemits all about the way the body kit is molded the front tire kicks rocks up and chips the hell out of it :thumpdown: they all do it i am going to put the colored 3M tape on it to help it out

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your chipping. Unfortunately its been an issue since the XR's been sold. So far the 3M clear body protectant tape is the best solution to prevent any chipping . It's supprising that Toyota has not put the tape on truck at the factory. I notice the TRD offroad trucks have them on their fenders.

CanuckXtruck

Reaction score
I was having the same problem, especially since I put grips on for the winter. I have installed straight flat mud flaps behind the front wheels and this has pretty much stopped the chips. The thin black flaps are hardly noticeable inside the wheel wells and are certainly less noticeable than the white leading edge of the fender flairs and bottoms of the moldings.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
I started a thread awhile back asking for pics and info on the truck to try and complain to corporate Toyota but didn't get a lot of participation for it. You guys that are having paint chip problems post up your pics in the thread linked below. Please be sure to read through post 1 for the instructions first. :top:

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=4918

xrunna07

Reaction score
yeh wait till u get a chip on ur scoop, the little plastic insert piece the size of a dime... then we will talk!!! :top:

CanuckXtruck

Reaction score
Here are a couple of pic's, sorry about the dirt but it's winter here.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 99

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. The flaps don't look all that bad. What type of flap did you buy?

rich017

Reaction score
Everyone that has paint chips needs to post and have a pic. Put it on your to do list, and DO IT!! If we get a lot of people, just maybe toyota might consider doing something.

Top Bottom