Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Using a 4x4 transmission?

easts1d3

Reaction score
Long story short I smoked my transmission in my X-Runner and have been trying to source a used transmission to get it back on the road.

I Dont have money to upgrade to a T56 or do a ls drivetrain swap

Can the 4x4 transmissions be used if the transfer case is removed and the 2wd tail end of the transmission swaped over?

shane881510

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they are the same trans so u should able to swap them out.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
I don't see why not but I think the gear ratios are slightly different. You could probably find a used trans online or do what some guys have done and rebuild the stock trans. There was a thread about it a while back. But it's going to require a shop that knows what they are doing.

Coupe

Reaction score
This would be a good question for Torspd.

Nashman

Reaction score
the main input shaft is different most likely

every single trans from toyota has been this way

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I do not know about swapping out the trail housings. Using a 4x4 trans could work. As long as you had that driveshaft and crossmember.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
My guess would be he's trying to swap the tail section and use the XR driveshaft....

easts1d3

Reaction score
Only reasoning for using a 4x4 is because the 4x2 6 speeds are not easy to come by
There is one in canada for $2800 taxes in with 60,000 kms

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you got yours out to see what the deal is yet? If it's just a fork you may not be as hosed as you think.

easts1d3

Reaction score
No its not out yet, I drained the fluid and had no chunks of bearings or gears. Im going to being it to the dealership, they are thinking it might be the reverse idler gear that is worn out or stuck. So hopefully its a small issue like your saying.

If this would have happened 1-2 years from now i would be doing a ls swap in a heartbeat

kwigs160966

Reaction score
Lol I just took one to the scrap metal pile a couple months back because no one wanted it.

easts1d3

Reaction score
Dealership was able to fix my transmission. They said the fork went past the detent, they replaced the reverse idler gear, and my speedo sensor gear was broke.

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
Rebuild

I don't see why not but I think the gear ratios are slightly different. You could probably find a used trans online or do what some guys have done and rebuild the stock trans. There was a thread about it a while back. But it's going to require a shop that knows what they are doing.

That was me. I've put about 6k miles on mine and it's only gotten smoother as it has broken in. Here's the link to my build. I was short one synchro and didn't end up replacing the one for first gear, I mistakenly didn't order it and didn't want to wait because I needed my truck. My shop is just a local shop, but I've got a lot of confidence in my mechanic there. He's been working on cars for me for more than 12 years and builds road course race cars on the side. He did a great job and I've really enjoyed a grind free shift. Here's the link...

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54339&page=2

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
That is good news tk hear that yours is still working without issue. :top:

x-runner kid

Reaction score
That was me. I've put about 6k miles on mine and it's only gotten smoother as it has broken in. Here's the link to my build. I was short one synchro and didn't end up replacing the one for first gear, I mistakenly didn't order it and didn't want to wait because I needed my truck. My shop is just a local shop, but I've got a lot of confidence in my mechanic there. He's been working on cars for me for more than 12 years and builds road course race cars on the side. He did a great job and I've really enjoyed a grind free shift. Here's the link...

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54339&page=2

That's awesome news. A little off topic but how much did it end up costing you all together if you don't mind me asking?

Top Bottom