Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hood Scoop

brokenvendetta

Reaction score
Does removing the plastic insert behind the scoop grille insert have a negative affect? It's stupid to have a aesthetic scoop. And someone, please, make some sort of mod for making the scoop functional !!!

rexrunner

Reaction score
some have posted over at CT that removing the plastic piece does lower the engine temp. The stock intake is sealed into the fender so I dont see any way of hp numbers being increased. I would just leave it in there to keep the engine cleaner.

brokenvendetta

Reaction score
Removing the black plastic doesnt help performance wise. BUT...
I have opened mine, along with a bunch of other people here and there. I like it to act kinda like a vent for the engine bay area.
Heres a quick write up from PB
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t88907.html

Yeah, I just read that writeup on TN a day or so ago. All I really wanted to know is if anyone had any negative affects to doing it. Like you mentioned, I really just want to open it up to give the engine some more airflow, not really looking for any better performance.

How soon after you got your XR did you open it up? Does the engine get a lot more dirty?

XRobber

Reaction score
The majority of the free mods I did like within a month of getting my truck. The engine doesnt really get dirty, but I also clean it almost every week. My truck shows at different car shows often, so I have to stay on top of it.

brokenvendetta

Reaction score
What products do you recommend for engine cleanup? I haven't gotten her too dirty yet, but then again, I don't show her either, so I'm probably not quite as picky.

Jonathan

Reaction score
still wondering why this is in forced induction........bc the poster thinks he can beat a SC Xr to 60? i donno if that counts lol;)

brokenvendetta

Reaction score
oh i can! :D

especially if it happens to be a s/c xr whose engine might not quite be as s/c as it used to be!;) :eek:
(but i won't mention any names, cause that just sucks!)

SWB X

Reaction score
im still lost on where your going with that broken V.
I have the open hood scoop and yes it does allow the engine to become more dirty but, its not that bad. It is amazing after you drive it, how much heat you can feel coming out of the scope.

brokenvendetta

Reaction score
sorry i put the thread in the wrong section earlier, fellas. i wasn't paying attention to where i was!

and bad x, i have just heard one or two places about the scoop getting warped and whatnot, so i'm just making sure i don't mess up my purdy truck, that's all.

Last edited:

DOGO X

Reaction score
please don't turn this forum as CT!

The only disavantage is youe engine bay will collect more dust!

i don't know :bird:

Xacto

Reaction score
if you put the mesh back in, that will act as a support. Plus, the scoop is pretty well supported, there will be no warping. I had a temp. gauge, and i dropped a full 15 degrees after 20 minutes of driving rather than before the scoop was open.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
please don't turn this forum as CT!

Don't go there... that's the whole goal of this XR-U. But, at the same time - we want the posts to be in the right place. Especially with a new forum where ppl may not be familiar with all the sub-forum options. No one here is gonna yell at you though for posting in the wrong forum - we'll just politely move it and you'll never hear about it again. No "read this or don't post" threads at XR-U. :rock:

DOGO X

Reaction score
Don't go there... that's the whole goal of this XR-U. But, at the same time - we want the posts to be in the right place. Especially with a new forum where ppl may not be familiar with all the sub-forum options. No one here is gonna yell at you though for posting in the wrong forum - we'll just politely move it and you'll never hear about it again. No "read this or don't post" threads at XR-U. :rock:

That is what I was trying to said. :biggrin:

X-Rizzo

Reaction score
All I did was dremmel off the back plastic pieces so the mesh and support posts are still there.

HPIM1019.jpg

X-Rizzo

Reaction score
that looks pretty good man :top:
Yeah thanks. It was a lot easier than taking the whole thing out and now I have nothing to worry about as far as warping. Also, I don't really understand why people are so worried about dirt getting through the scoop....that's what the engine cover is for. Come on people.:bird: :laugh:

CBRBob

Reaction score
Why not just drive around with the hood latched, but open then......?

Top Bottom