Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Limited Slip Dif Chatter/Noise

nnywg

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been a long time creeper here but decided to come out of the woodwork.

About 3 months ago, I had the transmission and dif oils changed by my dealer - they were due per Toyota's recommended service intervals. Since then I've done a bit of AutoX (less than 10 runs total) and haven't racked up enough mileage for another oil change. But my dif sounds terrible in first gear and turning, so I think some/one of the clutch plates in the dif are toast. I'm an engineer and don't believe in coincidences. Truck only has 71,000 miles on it and I've owned it since new.

Only power mods are an AFE intake and the URD SpecU headers & exhaust. At most that's a 10-15% torque gain, and I don't think Toyota are built that feeble - a supercharge from TRD for example would put more power through this dif. I have had no transmission issues that seem to be widely known.

Just wondered what your thoughts were? Is this a known issue? I've done searches and found nothing.

Gadget

Reaction score
My LSD failed in about 30,000 miles. It first started to bark and rumble when the clutches should be locking up, then it quit all together.

I replaced it with the Detroit TrueTrac and that has been rock solid since.

G

nnywg

Reaction score
I've heard good things about those TrueTracs - but which part number did you order? The X-Runner isn't listed under the application guide...

EDIT: You've answered this before here -
The new diffs are different then the old ones from the first Gen Taco.

The good new is that the carrier is the same. So, you can install a TrueTrac from a Gen I 8.4 Taco and it will fit just fine. I have one in my X.

Gadget

From the Eaton Page it looks like 913A541 is the part number.

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
You can order that through URD.

G

nnywg

Reaction score
probably will...been eyeing those stoptech brakes for a long, long time as well. Sadly our exchange rate is absolutely atrocious right now.

Gadget

Reaction score
I can now get the 335 StopTech BBK with the two piece rotors if you want that kit.

G

nnywg

Reaction score
I'll send you an e-mail when I'm ready - Slightly broke at the moment due to installing a garage heater so I could finish my project car this coming winter. The X isn't supposed to be the project car...

Doublld

Reaction score
I'll send you an e-mail when I'm ready - Slightly broke at the moment due to installing a garage heater so I could finish my project car this coming winter. The X isn't supposed to be the project car...

i have a stock third member from a 4x4 im willing to part ways with

Top Bottom