Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sleeving the engine block

5000XD

Reaction score
Wait, got a better one! Stick it on your key box and every key of every vehicle in there gains 50hp! It works for me :laugh:

Attachments

• IMAG0142.jpg
    IMAG0142.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 155

zacksblacktaco

Reaction score
im thinking about putting a URD sticker on dads camaro lol.
when you get a block sleeved it increases the strength of the block.
to handle the HP out put you will need stronger rods and pistons
so my question is what does compression ratio do?
another question, how long will a sleeved block hold up with a urd stageIII with the 92mm supercharger?
i know that no one seems to have this setup but im just looking for the some educated info.
another thing is that i have an automatic transmission so would it even handled that kind of power? what could i swap in or do to strengthen it up?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
im thinking about putting a URD sticker on dads camaro lol.
when you get a block sleeved it increases the strength of the block.
to handle the HP out put you will need stronger rods and pistons
so my question is what does compression ratio do?
another question, how long will a sleeved block hold up with a urd stageIII with the 92mm supercharger?
i know that no one seems to have this setup but im just looking for the some educated info.
another thing is that i have an automatic transmission so would it even handled that kind of power? what could i swap in or do to strengthen it up?

The MID sleeves do more than just make the block stronger. They aid in keeping the cylinders cooler, and also prevent cylinder wobble, which is a known problem for Open deck engines. The sleeves are also repairable.

Increasing the compression ratio increases the pressure in the combustion chamber. Makes more power due to higher pressure making more volatile explosions. But to add boost on top of higher compression is generally not safe, due to the potential for spontaneous combustion increasing significantly. Otherwise known as Knock. That is why when people start pushing higher levels of boost, they usually lower the compression ratio. The aid in reducing knock potential.

For our engines, in most cases, 9.0:1 would be as low as you would want to go. It still keeps enough low end N/A power, pre-boost.

A sleeved and forged internal block would last a very long time, with that s/c on there. As long as the tuning and fueling were up to par.

A shift kit would be absolutely necessary for your automatic. Later on, you could add in carbon fiber clutch packs and what not.

zacksblacktaco

Reaction score
okay thanks for the detailed response, couple questions tho.
what is a shift kit and where could i get it?
who make good forged internals?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
ITP shift kit. Talk with Gadget about them.

Last edited by a moderator:

livinginsa

Reaction score
If we really wanted to know the truth, why don't they just post their correspondence. He says and she said, and they said doesn't say anything. I think that is where the truth would really come out. Show me the email correspondense, email, and the truth would come out. Gadget, post the emails, and we will believe. I still think there is two sides to this story.

Gadget

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Two pallets of stuff arrived today. I just unloaded them with the BobCat and moved them into the back bay at URD. I will try to break the stuff down and look things over tomorrow.

Some other thing was shipped by APR to my house. I have not gotten that as I am not there in the daytime to sign for it. I hope that is the new timing chain cover that I paid for a very long time ago that did not make the shipment because it was installed on some other engine.

I am really hoping all my stuff is here in good shape so it can be used and finally put this to an end and move forward with the project.

G

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Gadget, Im glad that your issue With APR was finally resolved. Sounds like both parties are satisfied with the outcome after so long.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just one in my build thread I believe. Of the block on its side, with the torque plates installed. No updates so far this week.

Gadget

Reaction score
Been doing a lot of thinking,,,

I am leaning toward letting the whole engine assembly go to a new home.

Sleeved block, the first 1GR Darton Sleeved block ever.

Entire rotating assembly, balanced shot penned crank, JE Pistons coated with stock compression, forged rods

Heads ported and polished with complete valve job.

The heads are O-Ringed and the block has receiver grooves and two sets of copper head gaskets.

Left to be done, bores need to be honed to fit the pistons and proper sized bearings for the crank need to be installed. Still need head studs and new bolts/studs for the lower end, timing chain cover and new timing chains. Will likely need both parts of the oil pan. Not sure where that ended up.

There are Web cams setup for a supercharger application installed in the heads. Looking into that further, may keep those for a rainy day.

I have a lot of money tied up in this project and as you all know way more time. I have not decided what I will let it go for, but it will be a lot less than I have in it.

Anyway this is the way I am leaning here.

G

hiflyer

Reaction score
hmmm, what's it worth and will you ship to montana?

i can cross the border ;)

still deciding on what i wanna do with my truck tho

get a new 2013 in the spring or a low mile 2007/08 and pimp it out

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
I could also be interested there G... Would make the trek to URD hq....

Toon714

Reaction score
Hmmmm. Pm me a price g.
I might be interested if the price is right for me.

hiflyer

Reaction score
;)

no idea what things would cost, but it's be sweet!

been a pretty good year as well so may be feasible :)

Top Bottom