Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

76mm throttle body question ?

Can XR

Reaction score
So I just finished instilling the 76mm throttle body. When I started it up after I let it sit for about 15 minutes while the idle tried to sort it self out. The idle did settle around 1600 rpm. Then I took it for a drive and it threw a CEL. So my question is should I have let it sit and idle longer ? Also for the people who have one instilled how long did it take for the idle to return to normal ? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone :canada:

Dave

Can XR

Reaction score
Not sure don't have a code reader. Hopefully I can find out tomorrow

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
Try disconnecting the battery and see if it resets itself.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no gasket on that adapter. Spray carb cleaner or whatever flammable around the flange, and make sure you don't have a vacuum leak. If you do, you might need to add a thin layer of silicone. If you don't, then you definitely need to get the CEL read.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was proactive with mine and ran a thin bead of silicone around the mating surface between the TB and the adapter.

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
Same, I used silicone to seal between the throttle body and the adapter. If you have lean codes this is probably the cause.

Also, mine takes about 10 mins to relearn the idle after clearing codes or disconnecting the battery. (I have an automatic) haven't seen or heard about a manual relearning although gadget says it takes longer.

Can XR

Reaction score
So the CEL was a lean code. I siliconed the throttle body and adapter. Truck is running great now except for when I push in the clutch when moving the RPM's jump to about 2200 and back down to idle. It keeps doing this until I come to a complete stop. Is this part of the relearn or something else ?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
The manual will take longer. From my experience, it never "learned" to be exactly the same as the stock TB. It always idled higher on cold starts, then would settle down. Overall though a worthy upgrade. I am betting that having an auto would make it respond more closely to stock than a manual.

XeddeX

Reaction score
Tor is correct.... I have the 76mm TB on my N/A '08 DCSB auto transmission. Worthy upgrade but it must have gasket material on both sides of the adapter plate. I used some paper gasket material instead of running a bead of RTV, etc.

With the 76mm TB, on cold start, the engine jumps to ~1200rpm before settling down to 800-900rpm at idle. There is no "hunting" of idle and idle quality is just like stock. No CEL at all.

TRON

Reaction score
^^^ "worthy upgrade meaning?" Comparable to ltdts?

Can XR

Reaction score
Tor is correct.... I have the 76mm TB on my N/A '08 DCSB auto transmission. Worthy upgrade but it must have gasket material on both sides of the adapter plate. I used some paper gasket material instead of running a bead of RTV, etc.

With the 76mm TB, on cold start, the engine jumps to ~1200rpm before settling down to 800-900rpm at idle. There is no "hunting" of idle and idle quality is just like stock. No CEL at all.

I disconnected the battery for a while and let it idle for about 30 minutes. The truck is now doing the same thing yours is. I don't know about anyone else but I feel that there a lot better throttle response. But it could just be me.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed a better throttle response and more pickup.

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
Anyone know what size coupler to buy that's needed for the 76mm throttlebody to URD charge pipe?

woodex m.e.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any dyno gains to be had from this? Even if it is small, better throttle response would be nice. Also, if one had a supercharger would you go with the 70mm conversion or the 76mm? Would this effect the AF ratios on the stock reflash?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
3" to 3.25" will work. I believe that is what I have. *** EDIT *** Needs to be 3.5", as said lower in the thread.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
The TRD s/c will have a smaller I.D. than either of the larger TB's. It would have to be port matched.

Top Bottom