Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New to xr underground - 2012 Tacoma Prerunner

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
Hi, I've been lurking in the shadows since late 2011 and recently have done some stuff I haven't seen done or have heard urban legends and no pictures etc so I finally decided it was time to make a build thread and introduce myself. My name is Bryan I work at a so-cal Toyota dealer as a team leader / diagnostic technician. I've been with Toyota for a little over 4 years and soon will be getting MDT with Toyota I just need a few more months of tenure. My family however has owned Toyotas since I was born and I've been under the hood since I could walk. My current project truck is a 2012 Tacoma double cab short bed Prerunner v-6 red off-road with the TRD elocker, I bought it in late 2011 and have never looked back. I'll get a build thread up soon, until then here's an engine shot / teaser photo.

Looking forward to talking with some of you I have seen on here for years now. Thanks for looking and boost on! :blurock:

P.s. The 7th injector is ugly right now, needs to be sanded down and cleaned up, then painted. For now it's just raw epoxy, but no vacuum leaks and it's working. Cleanup will be done when I completely finish tuning it.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Wow dude thats a clean engine bay. Welcome

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Underground! :top:
What part of SoCal are you from? :dontknow:

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I'm from Monterey / Salinas California area but currently living in Los Angeles. HATING the traffic. Traffic = no boost. But the grapevine (A local mountain road) is fun to go up at night! :)

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
Toyota Tech,
Like most Pre-runners are you running taller tires? If so I have Toyota 3rd member Toyota calls it an 8", aftermarket calls it an 8.4". With about 9k on it w/ 4.10 R&P's, for that last bit of get up & go.
It was way to low for the 2.7L 5 lug I had it in w/ street rubber. :stupid:

AZ

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
Here's a video, gauge reads -2 when the truck is off so im around 11-11.5 psi I think? :stupid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLr2QSsckuU

Just ordered my IPT shift kit to finally decide if the backfires or rev limiter (can't decide which is it):stupid: is from the unichip programming or slow shifts by the transmission. You all give it a listen and tell me what you think. (decided its rev limiter because you can hear the supercharger changing pitch / speed when it happens.)

Toyota Tech,
Like most Pre-runners are you running taller tires? If so I have Toyota 3rd member Toyota calls it an 8", aftermarket calls it an 8.4". With about 9k on it w/ 4.10 R&P's, for that last bit of get up & go.
It was way to low for the 2.7L 5 lug I had it in w/ street rubber.

AZ

Thanks but I'm already running 4.56 in the rear from low range :)

Oh and p.s. the squeaking you hear after I let off, is from the rug doctor in the back seat I just grabbed from Von's Haha

Last edited:

TRON

Reaction score
I'm just curious, why didn't you use an APR or URD 7th instead? What's up with the oil filter hose re-routing?

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
I'm just curious, why didn't you use an APR or URD 7th instead? What's up with the oil filter hose re-routing?
Question 1:
1. Cheaper to make your own
2. Get exactly the size injector you want
3. If better at fabrication than me you could hide it a little better and make it look closer to factory. They also offer smaller versions for the mini injectors.
4. Already have a URD throttle body adapter and didn't want to stack adapters, plus I would have then had to modify the intake tube.
5. You can buy the nose cone assembly for about 700-800$ (URD kit 500ish + modified intake tube? I spent under 200$ and had it mounted as you see, I plan go go back and clean it up a bit.)

Question 2:
Its an oil cooler that I plan on cleaning up with new black braided hoses and black / red fittings.
Torspd was poking me with a huge stick :stupid: for pics because his unichip sucked and I've got mine kind of working so I pre-maturely posted a pic, you should have seen it before I cleaned it up a bit :p crimp connectors on injectors... HAH

AZ Sun Lover

Banned
Reaction score
Here's a video, gauge reads -2 when the truck is off so im around 11-11.5 psi I think? :stupid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLr2QSsckuU

Just ordered my IPT shift kit to finally decide if the backfires or rev limiter (can't decide which is it):stupid: is from the unichip programming or slow shifts by the transmission. You all give it a listen and tell me what you think. (decided its rev limiter because you can hear the supercharger changing pitch / speed when it happens.)

Thanks but I'm already running 4.56 in the rear from low range :)

Oh and p.s. the squeaking you hear after I let off, is from the rug doctor in the back seat I just grabbed from Von's Haha

I got this from Youtube; This video is private. :dontknow:

Also may I ask what's an "IPT shift kit"? I hate automatics and I'm about to trade the 2015 Tacoma DCSB for a Nissan Crew Cab with a 6 speed manual.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Hello brother!!! Fellow Lexus Tech (fancy plastic toyota) tech here down here in San Diego. Only senior level at this time. Bad ass truck you got there man! I'd love to check it out some time. 11.5 psi is **** ton for a TRD would love to see what it does.:rockon:

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
IPT is a company that reworks OEM transmissions to work better for high power applications or for a sportier feel / characteristic. For example: it will shift much quicker and harder which is good for high horsepower / torque applications as mine is slipping right now when it shifts gears.

Ill fix the video now.

Amo-cat3

Reaction score
Welcome and Aloha Toyota Tech - awesome build, very innovative with your 7th injector mounting. I actually love the idea.. Quick question about your backfires, I have gotten maybe 4 backfires in the last two years and it is usually between 2nd and third shifts(auto trans), I do notice that the 2nd to third shift does lag more than other gears, so transmission lag and timing will cause backfires?

Top Bottom