Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

holy catch can batman!!

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Changed the oil on the truck last weekend, as part of the maintenance I empty out the catch can. This is the second time I have drained it since October. Was not expecting to find this at all...

Over the winters I have come to expect this which is normal:

I am slightly concerned to say the least to what this is and why its happening... I mean on the plus side shows that the catch can is doing something!

rennurx

Reaction score
Something tells me that much is not normal..

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
yes sir, that and I have no real idea how long it was full for...

Gadget

Reaction score
When you drive it, how long do you drive it and at what speed?

Do you have the OEM oil cooler/warmer installed?

G

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
you are crazy good G, my typical drive is only 10 min to work. I have a remote start that I use to warm up the truck to a water temp of at least 120F, and yes I have an OEM oil cooler installed

Gadget

Reaction score
Yea, you need to get that puppy out on the highway and drive at highway speeds for a couple of hours to cook the water out of the oil. Water in the oil and combustion blow by mix and form acids and eat your engine.

The additive package in the oil helps neutralize the acids, but you can use that up pretty fast with your extreme short trip cold weather driving style.

You probably should be changing your oil way more often.

Where does the water come from??? For every gal of fuel burned 8 gals or water is produced and a lot of it gets by the rings.

That is some nasty looking stuff for sure.

G

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah that looks nasty! I usually take it out over the weekends on long hauls averaging prob 250 miles a week. As I am sure it wasn't much different in Maryland it was an unusually cold winter this year! I will certainly put forth more frequent oil changes this year!

when the rebuilt motor went in the oil was changed about 4 times over a month and a half then changed just before xmas and now. All due to time not km... rebuilt motor has but only 6k miles on it since October...

lamia2super

Reaction score
Maybe you have a crack some where and your coolant is mixing with the oil

easts1d3

Reaction score
You need to take a drive down the 401 to Windsor and get that motor nice and warm for a few hours like G said

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Damn that's crazy how much you have in there. After seeing yours I immediately checked/emptied mine. Luckily mine wasn't that full. How often do you check yours? I usually empty mine every oil change but emptied mine a little earlier after I seen yours haha.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah the oil was fine,it's what you see in the catch basin next to the can.. a little more shavings on the greddy plug than I would want but still not many k on the new motor(at least that's what I am telling myself)

I will keep an eye on this and post up what's in there!

You need to take a drive down the 401 to Windsor and get that motor nice and warm for a few hours like G said

That's the plan my man:top:
Was out ripping around Toronto last night for the ball game

Last edited:

I<3JDM

Reaction score
Yea, you need to get that puppy out on the highway and drive at highway speeds for a couple of hours to cook the water out of the oil. Water in the oil and combustion blow by mix and form acids and eat your engine.

The additive package in the oil helps neutralize the acids, but you can use that up pretty fast with your extreme short trip cold weather driving style.

You probably should be changing your oil way more often.

Where does the water come from??? For every gal of fuel burned 8 gals or water is produced and a lot of it gets by the rings.

That is some nasty looking stuff for sure.

G

Good info- that explains everything when I saw that gunk in the f150.

Doublld

Reaction score
This is why I didn't run a catch can setup plus the ventilation isn't that good. That's why I went with the exhaust savage system. Much better creates vacuum and you don't have to empty anything

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
This is why I didn't run a catch can setup plus the ventilation isn't that good. That's why I went with the exhaust savage system. Much better creates vacuum and you don't have to empty anything

More details? Pictures?

Doublld

Reaction score
More details? Pictures?

http://www.verociousmotorsports.com...ld-Bungs/Vibrant-E-Vac-Exhaust-Scavenger.html this is the part. What I did was had an10 bungs welded on my valve covers. Then I welded the exhaust scavenger piece in my downpipe ran hoses from my valve covers to the exhaust pieces it creates 3 inches of vacuum also I don't notice any smoke or anything out the back if anyone has that concern. I'll try an find pics
you can see the blue an fittings on the valve covers. I don't have a pic of them attached to the down pipe. I'll take one 2moro

Top Bottom