Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Getting the 09+ Stock sub to work with an aftermarket Head unit

spithead051

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I am trying to install a Kenwood DNX691HD head unit into my truck and have everything working except for the factory sub. I really don't want to install an aftermarket sub and amp as my cab is pretty tight on space as is.

Is there something special in the wiring that I need to do in order to get it to work? I matched up all of the wires per the harness directions but the damn thing doesn't produce a thump.

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Subscribed, really want to know for my future upgrade! Really wish I could help but haven't gotten that far in my build!

Vandy01

Reaction score
I had the same problem with the same head unit. Feel your ceiling speakers see if there working. If not go into your head unit settings. Make sure to turn on the rear speakers. They come "front only" default. If the ceiling speakers are working go ahead and re seed the connection at the sub.

spithead051

Reaction score
The ceiling speakers are working. I even adjusted the fade so that it was only sending audio to the back speakers. The subwoofer lights up when I turn the knob to the light position so it appears to have power just no signal.

xrgilly

Reaction score
hmmm i had a clarion dd head unit in mine and it didn't have an issue….perhaps the harness is for an 05 08 and is missing something? seems odd

spithead051

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the new harness connected to the stock harness:

I just noticed that the tan wire does not have a corresponding wire on the new harness. I can plug a wire in but I have no idea where it connects onto the new harness.

Vandy01

Reaction score
The subs audio is run through the same wires that do the ceiling speakers(rear speakers). The sub doesn't have an independent channel.

spithead051

Reaction score
I cranked the bass boost and subwoofer level settings to the max and I can barely hear the sub make noise when I turn the volume near max. It looks like it is getting signal but not enough power for the amp? that is built into it.

xrgilly

Reaction score
crazy question but is the sub switch on the sub in the on position ? if i remember it had an on and off switch

spithead051

Reaction score
crazy question but is the sub switch on the sub in the on position ? if i remember it had an on and off switch

Haha not that crazy. Yes it is on, I've left it in the on+light position so that it is also lit up.

xrgilly

Reaction score
if u have everything apart still have u tried to re install the factory hu to see if the problem goes away?

xrgilly

Reaction score
very odd

that sub gets its signal from the rear speakers( roof speakers) so if they are working the sub should be ….. wish i could be more help but I'm stumped… short of taking apart the sub box to test for power

justin13703

Reaction score
The factory sub should have a power sense wire to tell the built in amp to turn on. Your radio probably has two blue wires coming out of it, one solid blue and one blue with a white stripe. The vehicle harness you bought probably has a few blue wires on it. Connect all of the blue wires on the vehicle harness side to the blue/white stripe wire on the radio and let me know if that fixes it. Leave the solid blue wire from the radio connected to nothing.

xrgilly

Reaction score
The factory sub should have a power sense wire to tell the built in amp to turn on. Your radio probably has two blue wires coming out of it, one solid blue and one blue with a white stripe. The vehicle harness you bought probably has a few blue wires on it. Connect all of the blue wires on the vehicle harness side to the blue/white stripe wire on the radio and let me know if that fixes it.

looking at a photo i found of the factory sub removed it looks as if it has a blue wire with a white stripe on it

justin13703

Reaction score
looking at a photo i found of the factory sub removed it looks as if it has a blue wire with a white stripe on it

That is one of the ones that will be connected to the blue/white from the radio.

spithead051

Reaction score
I'll provide an update Monday evening as I will be away from the truck for a few days. I really appreciate all of the advice so far.

spithead051

Reaction score
So still no progress. I am running it up to one of my buddies who is a car stereo installer to put his mind to work on it.

Top Bottom