Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

OFFICIAL: Rear Fender Flare Paint Issue

TRDrunner07

Reaction score
mine started to chip! i cant upload any pictures just yet but mine is an 07 with 30K miles

boost10

Reaction score
mine is the same as most sbp on this thread ...2008 40k

xrunner4.0

Reaction score
I can't believe Toyota gets away with this bullshit...my truck doesn't have 5k miles yet and I can already see both back flares starting to chip at the very bottom. I wonder if I can get the dealer to repaint under warranty?

nutt14

Reaction score
holy crap i thought it was just me having this problem, i will post pics of mine soon. I have a 2008 SWB with 13k miles on it and thos rear fenders are just eye soars for me ><

JiNsEiGaNaI

Reaction score
mine chipping too, ill try to get pics, 08 BSP, purchse date is unknown cuz i bought it used, 23K miles

gearhead899

Reaction score
I can't believe Toyota gets away with this bullshit...my truck doesn't have 5k miles yet and I can already see both back flares starting to chip at the very bottom. I wonder if I can get the dealer to repaint under warranty?
same here! also a 2011 black xr with only 5k miles. i too can also see chips already... its BS!

XBlue

Reaction score
I have 2 xrunners so far first one was a 05 RR with 51,000 and my current x is a 07 SWB with 42,000. Both of them had the same issue, i used to work for toyota and there was never any service bullentins. I will post pics soon!!!

X_Less

Reaction score
07 RR with 53K miles... Has these chips too... Not going to bother with pictures since this thread was made in 07 and nothing got done.

Canadian Girl

Reaction score
I am battling with Toyota Canada Over this....... fight is taking a while but hopefully some resolve soon

BoomerZoomer

Reaction score
Fender Flare condition on my "New" 2010 with 3011 miles

I drove from Portland, OR to Reno, NV last weekend. My rear flares now look like this. 3011 miles on the 2010 X-Runner. (Sorry about the reflections in the phonots, but I try to keep the truck shiny clean.) The dealer where I purchased the truck in December 2011, says no warranty, normal wear due to road conditions.

Attachments

• RightSideSMALL.JPG
    RightSideSMALL.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 301
  • LeftSideSMALL.JPG
    LeftSideSMALL.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 291

davesX

Reaction score
I have discovered the problem with our paint, the reason it chips so bad is because Toyota did a crap job at painting our trucks.,.. I just repainted my entire truck because of chips and as I was doing the repair I found out very fast that Toyota put very little paint and clear on these trucks... which makes your paint chip and fade very easy..so the best advise I can give is to get your truck painted by a reliable shop that uses good materials..

12X-Runner

Reaction score
New here. Old thread. But it seems nothing has changed. My 2012 is at 60k and still has the same issue. Great job, Toyota.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Ya it's Def a big issue and never was one that was fixed. I used the clear rock guard stuff from 3m that's a spray on type. Love it because after it dries you can't even tell its there.

30Birdy

Reaction score
I am considering protective film on the leading edges of the rear flares too. I just haven't decided if I want spray on or clear adhesive sheets.

Helimx

"Dutch Rudder Master"
Reaction score
Ya it's Def a big issue and never was one that was fixed. I used the clear rock guard stuff from 3m that's a spray on type. Love it because after it dries you can't even tell its there.

can you link to the stuff you used please?

x-runner kid

Reaction score
I am considering protective film on the leading edges of the rear flares too. I just haven't decided if I want spray on or clear adhesive sheets.

I have used the clear sheets and to be honest I didn't like them. They were much more visible and much less durable. The stuff I used is very easy to apply it's sort of like putting plasti dip on. You just mask the area and then spray and before it dries taking the masking tape on the edges off. At first it's a foggy color but trust me after about an hour you can't even tell its there.

Top Bottom