Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Air assist info.

CBRBob

Reaction score
Air assist info. UPDATED

I figured I'd throw this out there since so many people ask me about it.
It is intended to level out the ride height once the vehicle has been loaded up. This will work if you lowered the truck or not. Personally mine has 2" blocks. Lowered with blocks or not, the relationship of the frame to the spring is the same. Keep in mind, currently I have removed the bumpstop brackets and reloacted the bump stops to the frame itself(takes an hour with a grinder to grind off the rivets).

Here is the kit....
http://airlift.iwebcat.com/_Members/lookups/partdetail.asp?hdnPN=491611&hdnSts=0&hdnUK=31387&hdnQ=3&hdnLK=647&hdnLT=1&hdnSW=5361&hdnOEM=1&hdnUniv=0&hdnMM=149606&hdnVQ=643&hdnAPFlag=&hdnWN=1&

I did have to modify the lower bracket to move it away from the anti-roll bar. When inflated it rubbed the bar. Just notch the bracket around the block or spring perch enough to let it move away. When the u-bolts contact the springs, it is moved far enough.

Here are some pics......
P1080007a.jpg

P1080012a.jpg

PB090008.JPG

PB090010.JPG

PB090014.JPG

PB090016.JPG

I added an onboard compressor with a pressure sensor in the line. I have a switch to turn it on and off as well. I sometimes load a racebike in the bed and use this to level the ride height. Sometimes I pull an enclosed trailer. They both drop the rear about the same amount. What I did was add air to restore the ride height, took a pressure reading and adjusted the inline sensor to shut off at that pressure. After I load up, I turn on the compressor and it shuts off automatically. Then I shut off the switch. To lower the rear, you take off the cap and let air out(just like on a tire). I mounted the switch and valvecap to the bracket on the back of the rear fenderwell on the drivers side. I mounted the air compressor to the underside of the driver side bed storage pocket. I ran the air lines above the spare tire crossmember. I ran a fused 12ga. power line from the battery to the rear of the truck (I am powering other things in the trailer) so I tapped off that.

This pic I had the XR only 1month. I put on a 1" block to level out the rear but I had the Air Assist kit on by then. Not soon later, I added the SOS front kit and went to a 2" block.
xrtrail1.jpg

I believe the best price/availability was through Summit Racing.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=air-59564

With this kit it is basically invisible, does not change the ride quality(harshness etc). It is meant to restore ride height so you don't bottom out when carrying weight.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

XDsm

Reaction score
That's pretty sweet. Nice info:top:

GSX-Runner

Reaction score
I'v been doing allot of research on this since this was brought up I found that the slamair kit would be ideal for me, the only problem I found is, I read somewhere that this kit won't work with blocks. Haven't been able to confirm that. Seems to me it would not matter cause the bags sit further back on the springs. Here is what the website says about the slamair kit.

Slam Air
59100/59200
Adjustable Air Springs For Lowered Trucks

Restore load capacity and eliminate bottoming out!
Lowering a truck reduces suspension travel and load carrying capacity. Adding SlamAir helper springs solves these problems economically! They supplement the lowered truck’s leaf springs to provide adjustable spring rate for ride comfort, safety and variable loads. Add a driver-controlled compressor system and raise the rear on-the-fly for speed bumps or sloped driveways! Systems available for most lowered trucks with a 2 inch to 6 inch drop, including trucks with flipped axles and notched frames.

• Air adjustable from 5 to 100 psi
• Eliminates bottoming out
• Restores load capacity
• Easy to install in two hours or less!
• Detailed illustrated instruction manual
• Each kit complete with air springs, air lines, brackets, fittings, mounting hardware, everything you need!
• Two year limited warranty

The SlamAir kits offer up to 1,800 lbs. of load support and are designed for mini and 1/2 ton pickups and vans. Includes exclusive alignment tool for simple, fail-safe installation.

CBRBob

Reaction score
This is a RideControl kit #59564, not a SlamAir kit. I have had the kit on since Sept. '06.

I had a similar kit on my ranger for 5-6 years.

DOGO X

Reaction score
Thanks so much! Summit Racing here we go.... :biggrin:

EDIT:

Did you bought the air tank and else from them too? I could't find it on the Summit page.

CBRBob

Reaction score
Did you bought the air tank and else from them too? I could't find it on the Summit page.

No air tank, just get the compressor kit. It comes with the inline pressure sensor.

DOGO X

Reaction score
No air tank, just get the compressor kit. It comes with the inline pressure sensor.

I couldn't find on the summit do you have the part number?

Thanks! :top:

Last edited:

DOGO X

Reaction score
Last edited:

GSX-Runner

Reaction score
This is a RideControl kit #59564, not a SlamAir kit. I have had the kit on since Sept. '06.

I had a similar kit on my ranger for 5-6 years.

If I get 3" blocks will I be able to adjust ride level to avoid bottoming out while driving?

Top Bottom