Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Air Locker or Tru-Trac

Darkside-X

Reaction score
So I'm looking into either a Detroit Tru Trac or TJM Air locker for drifting. Any thoughts or experience? I'm leaning toward the air locker due to the fact of 50/50 split and I can turn on or off at will. But the tru trac is much cheaper.

UPDATED WITH MY NEW TJM AIR LOCKER AND TJM AIT PUMP. PICTURES START ON PAGE 4:

Last edited:

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
So I'm looking into either a Detroit Tru Trac or TJM Air locker for drifting. Any thoughts or experience? I'm leaning toward the air locker due to the fact of 50/50 split and I can turn on or off at will. But the tru trac is much cheaper.

If its for drifting...dont waste your time. Just go air locker. To expensive. Welded diff. Coming up on 5 years with mine. Torsen diffs work fine for road racing, but drifting can make for some strang handling characteristics. 100% locked you know what its going to do 100% of the time.:top:

Darkside-X

Reaction score
I didn't want to weld due to being able to turn it on and off for dd use. I also want to to do some course racing which I think would be good to be able to turn it off. So it looks like air locker is going to be way to go. I assume when is locked it acts like a welded diff correct?

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I didn't want to weld due to being able to turn it on and off for dd use. I also want to to do some course racing which I think would be good to be able to turn it off. So it looks like air locker is going to be way to go. I assume when is locked it acts like a welded diff correct?

Depends on road course speeds, your power and grip. Locked it will behave EXACTLY like a welded diff. If I were you, I would just get used to racing with it locked. Eventually, you get used to it, and it becomes second nature. :top:

darthyota

Reaction score
Listen to sdxrunner he knows what hes talking about. I had a truck for a few years that i put a spool in that was also my dd it was super predictable and nothing to break.

Reaction score
Too bad there isn't an Auburn ECTED option for our trucks. LSD when off and a spool when you want it locked up. I do hear that the cone clutches do have to be replaced every so often. I hate having an open diff but I don't want to lose me locker.

darthyota

Reaction score
well i have something similar but unfortunately its not 100% correct for our trucks but if you reggae and have a third out of a fj cruiser or a 4runner it should work for you

Darkside-X

Reaction score
Listen to sdxrunner he knows what hes talking about. I had a truck for a few years that i put a spool in that was also my dd it was super predictable and nothing to break.

Yeah I'm glad he chimed in, I cab probably learn a few things from him. Well as far as the air locker goes I will have more to worry about breaking, but I get the advantage of turning it on and off. Altho I've never owed one, but what I've read is it gives an equal 50/50 ratio to each wheel unlike a tru trac or other lsd's. So in other words it 100% once it's locked and open diff when unlocked.

kwigs160966

Reaction score
I am looking for a diff for drag racing I watch the video of the arb air locker and it was pretty convincing. Does anyone have any recomendations

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Yeah I'm glad he chimed in, I cab probably learn a few things from him. Well as far as the air locker goes I will have more to worry about breaking, but I get the advantage of turning it on and off. Altho I've never owed one, but what I've read is it gives an equal 50/50 ratio to each wheel unlike a tru trac or other lsd's. So in other words it 100% once it's locked and open diff when unlocked.

Becuase the air locker wont be under constant stress, it will more then likely but LESS wear on drivetrain, then a daily driven and tracked vehicle with a welded diff.

A welded diff eliminates the ability for a difference in wheel speed in all conditions. An air locker, when locked does EXACTLY the same thing. A spool would be the better version of a welded diff (less chance of failure). But are not available for our 8.25"/8.4" rear ends.

Lunchbox lockers/racheting lockers work fine for wheeling but can fail and be unpredictable when they lock/unlock. Nothing you want in drifting.

Clutch type lsds can fail over time, and need to be set up properly for the motorsport you are doing. Drifting in particular, a 2way lsd (lockin under acceleration and deceleration) set up for drifting would be set up so tight, that it would be terrible for daily driving and fail prematurely.

But if you have the money (and they actually make em) a 2way is the way to go for drifting. :top:

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
:smile:
I am looking for a diff for drag racing I watch the video of the arb air locker and it was pretty convincing. Does anyone have any recomendations

Anything that can put the power to both wheels. Air locker would be fine, though odds are trutrac would be fine and cost half as much. :top:

Darkside-X

Reaction score
Thanks for the input SD. I'm going to try the air locker and see how it works for me. I also remember reading you made a toggle for the lsd/traction control. You mind sharing the info with me SD?

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Thanks for the input SD. I'm going to try the air locker and see how it works for me. I also remember reading you made a toggle for the lsd/traction control. You mind sharing the info with me SD?

I made a deactivation switch for the abs. Easy way is just pull both abs fuses. My truck doesnt have autolsd or traction control. If you are referring to the 90l gas pedal recall reflash bypass, that only effect hitting the brakes and gas at the same time. That I just cut the wire. I madea a thread on it, did affect the cruise control a bit. I made thread explaining it.:top:

darthyota

Reaction score
You dont even have to pull both fuses. Pulling one is enough to disable the abs and tc systems

Darkside-X

Reaction score
I'm hoping an air locker will handle higher speeds. Most used are for slow wheeling. I did see a video of an old fox body mustang with an arb air locker he used for drifting. You guys think the tru trac would be worthless for drifting?

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
You dont even have to pull both fuses. Pulling one is enough to disable the abs and tc systems

On non traction control equiped vehicles you have to pull both to get it 100% off. I wasn't sure about the newer trucks.:top:

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I'm hoping an air locker will handle higher speeds. Most used are for slow wheeling. I did see a video of an old fox body mustang with an arb air locker he used for drifting. You guys think the tru trac would be worthless for drifting?

Order of worthless to best.
Open diff
viscous
helical (tru trac)
Welded/spool/elocker
2way clutch type.

Ive never heard good things about helical diffs for drifting. But iv never heard bad either. Main reason is most drift cars come oem either have clutch type or a viscous. And odds are both are blown by the time the car becomes a drift build. So either a 2way or welded goes in to replace it.

Im sure someone has used it before. Try googling "helical differential drift". See what you find. Im not going to be your google.

darthyota

Reaction score
On non traction control equiped vehicles you have to pull both to get it 100% off. I wasn't sure about the newer trucks.:top:

huh and i figured to would be the same on the older trucks as the newer ones i guess we both learned something :top:

Darkside-X

Reaction score
Order of worthless to best.
Open diff
viscous
helical (tru trac)
Welded/spool/elocker
2way clutch type.

Ive never heard good things about helical diffs for drifting. But iv never heard bad either. Main reason is most drift cars come oem either have clutch type or a viscous. And odds are both are blown by the time the car becomes a drift build. So either a 2way or welded goes in to replace it.

Im sure someone has used it before. Try googling "helical differential drift". See what you find. Im not going to be your google.

LOL.. Wasn't expecting you to be my Google, I just know you have some drifting knowledge which I lack in. Even though I've been a mechanic all my life, I never got into rear ends or transmissions other than clutches and axel seals.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
huh and i figured to would be the same on the older trucks as the newer ones i guess we both learned something :top:

I looked how I had my shit hooked up. One kills the abs, but the ebd is still on. The other kills both.:top:

Top Bottom