Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Clutch chatter or some other weird noise.

BlueTaco

Reaction score
I don't know if it's really clutch chatter, but I'm having this issue where, if I accelerate in 1st from about 1300-1800 RPMS, I get this nice rattling sound coming from what sounds like the tranny. A strange thing about this noise is that if I accelerate uber gently, I don't hear any noise, but if I accelerate a little quicker, not enough to jerk you though, I can always replicate the noise. The truck has been doing it for some time now, even before I installed the stage 2 clutch. I can't feel anything vibrating the truck when it does it.

Anybody else notice this? Or can help explain what it is? If needed, I can try to video tape the scenarios and hopefully the camera i have can pick up the noise its making. It really sounds like metal balls rolling around in a metal pan.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I don't know if it's really clutch chatter, but I'm having this issue where, if I accelerate in 1st from about 1300-1800 RPMS, I get this nice rattling sound coming from what sounds like the tranny. A strange thing about this noise is that if I accelerate uber gently, I don't hear any noise, but if I accelerate a little quicker, not enough to jerk you though, I can always replicate the noise. The truck has been doing it for some time now, even before I installed the stage 2 clutch. I can't feel anything vibrating the truck when it does it.

Anybody else notice this? Or can help explain what it is? If needed, I can try to video tape the scenarios and hopefully the camera i have can pick up the noise its making. It really sounds like metal balls rolling around in a metal pan.

doesn't really sound like clutch chatter. Clutch chatter usually only happens when you are releasing the clutch and it starts to catch. Could be the throwout bearing making noise. there are a lot of problems with that in this truck :dontknow:

BlueTaco

Reaction score
hmm supposedly the dealership replaced the throwout bearing when they installed the new clutch. they said they couldn't get the throwout bearing the came with the clutch to work, like it was the wrong one.

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
i would have said it could be the longtubes on stock exhaust, but i remember you have a catback.

i didnt notice it when you were here so i cant really be of much help. wish i could though.

BlueTaco

Reaction score
i wonder if i should tighten all the bolts on the headers again, just to be sure.

BlueTaco

Reaction score
lmao i'm not a complete r-tard when it comes to vehicles.

08XRunner808

Reaction score
does it only make sound at low rpms? if so my truck does it too i hope its normal lol

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
I think I know exactly what you're talking about. Mine does that too. I just thought it was the nature of the truck (like too much play in the gears inside the transmission). It makes the entire truck resonate and happens every single time.

My truck and I have a serious love-hate relationship. This is a part of it.

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
are you sure its only in 1st gear? i know if your in to low of a gear at a low speed the tranny will rattle and you move very sluggish until you get up to a little higher speed.

Last edited:

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
^ Happens to me in second too, but what you're describing feel similar but not exactly the same.

Xtacy

Reaction score
i think it could be your DTLT...mine does that too sometimes or when i step on it, its almost like a v8 rumble, or like a mine turbo spool

BlueTaco

Reaction score
It does it in any gear if the RPMs are in the 1300-1800 range. It has yet to do it past that range though. It'll still do it if I'm really light on the acceleration, but the noise is really faint and becomes noticeably louder if i accelerate normally. I hope its nothing serious.

The truck isn't moving sluggishly when I do it, it feels typical for the amount of gas I'm giving it. It's weird that it only does it in that rpm range though. I was driving it today and had a long stretch of road in front of me, so i shifted into 4th gear early enough so the rpms would fall in that range and it still did it.

rat7761

Reaction score
Don't worry, the noise is not clutch chatter. The noise is coming from the transmission. This is a normal condition for this transmission. Mine does it all the time. I can replicate the noise every time in any gear at about 1,500 RPM. It sounds almost lke a heat shield rattle. It's not a cause for concern other than being irritating. It's caused by excessive clearance in the gears in the trans. Mine got louder after I installed the Stage 2 clutch. Been running fine ever since and I take my truck to the dragstrip often.

Last edited:

vinnieb0i

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old post, I am having some chatter in my transmission now too.

So this is my chattering. It chatters at a dead stop, with clutch engaged and in neutral. It will go away when I dis-engage the chatter, but if i engage it again, it comes on back. Anyone else have this problem?

My tranny hasn't had in problems yet, no changes to stock drivetrain, I have MT-90 Redline oil and a B&M short shifter. The short shifter i know makes more tranny noise inside the cab, but this new chatter just started, been 3 years since I had my B&M short shifter.

Murderface

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old post, I am having some chatter in my transmission now too.

So this is my chattering. It chatters at a dead stop, with clutch engaged and in neutral. It will go away when I dis-engage the chatter, but if i engage it again, it comes on back. Anyone else have this problem?

My tranny hasn't had in problems yet, no changes to stock drivetrain, I have MT-90 Redline oil and a B&M short shifter. The short shifter i know makes more tranny noise inside the cab, but this new chatter just started, been 3 years since I had my B&M short shifter.

If the noise goes away when u apply the clutch then it's the TO bearing

Top Bottom