Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sleeving the engine block

Gadget

Reaction score
I have a 1GR block at Darton getting sleeved. Lots of people are asking me about this and how it is done and I think some pictures will make this make more sense.

This is the first 1GR block that Darton has done. They have done the 2GR and some other Toyota blocks, but not this one yet. They had hoped one of the cylinders sleeves from the other engines would fit, but no such luck. They have to make a complete new design.

The first step is to get a block and cut it into slices and then scan the slices to get the interior of the block design into the CAD enviroment. From there they develop the CNC program for cutting out the old cylinders and designing the new ones to press in to replace them. Our friend Torspd furnished one of his used blocks for Darton to cut up.

Here is a picture of the stock engine block:

1GR005.jpg

1GR001.jpg

If you look very closely you can see the slight color change in the cylinder top. The steel liner is very thin and the outside is the aluminum.

On the 1GR the very thin steel sleeves are cast into place when the aluminum block is cast. This block is an open deck design, typical of most modern engines today. The upper portions of the cylinder is not supported by the engine block. This is fine for N/A applications, but when converted to forced induction the upper portions of the cylinder can wiggle and move just a little bit and break the seal at the head gasket. This can be from the normal elastic action of the metal from the increased cylinder pressures or the dramatic increase in cylinder pressures if detonation occurs. The walls of the cylinders are very thin and there have been reports of the cylinders splitting open like a banana peal.

1GR003.jpg

The first step is the stock cylinders are cut away using a CNC machine.

MIDSLEEVE.jpg

MIDBLOCK.jpg

The next step is the new sleeve is pressed into the block.

NISSANVQ35MID.jpg

The block is then decked and ready for the cylinders to be honed to the correct size for the new pistons. This is a Nissan VG35 block. You will notice that is now a closed deck design and the tops of the cylinders are now supported to the engine block for one very solid assembly.

There you are. If you have any more questions give John at Darton Sleeves a call and I am sure he can answer any questions you have.

My block should be done in a few weeks then I am going to have APR assemble the rest of the engine for me with the pistons and rods I got from TTC and some other cool parts and trick work.

Gadget

Last edited:

hiflyer

Reaction score
Looks sweet gadget!

Can't wait to see what you have in store!!

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Gadget! looking forward to updates!

X-roller

Reaction score
So how much does it cost?

:biggrin:

I would love to do this!

With all this work you are putting into this truck.... You are gonna be the first to snap the Crankshaft..... Great job gadget... I look forward to seeing the finished product.....

Last edited:

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
This is awesome, i was just asked by one of my buddies if this has ever been done....:biggrin: I had no clue when he asked me about the engine blocks open/closed design...

We where discussing the week points of mah engine and ways of fixing it.

Thanks for the post G-man. Makes sense!!!!

Ray08BSPx

Reaction score
In the 4th pic there is a block in the bckground with a tag on it that says Ford Taurus SHO. Are those things suppose to be fast?

Gadget

Reaction score
Is a pickup truck with a V6 in it supposed to be fast??

G

X-roller

Reaction score
Since you are sleeving it and making it a closed deck... are you gonna stick with stock size or gonna bore it out?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guessing about two grand and up to have that done. Add a Crower crank for about $2500 and you will be good up to around 1000 HP, before you have to worry about splitting the block.

Reaction score
I know I shouldn't quote wikipedia as a source, but it says it has liners cast into it. I guess you are talking about putting big honking sleeves to try to make a semi-closed deck instead of the open one toyota gave us?

"This engine has special cast-iron cylinder liners cast into the block, which are a spiny type to improve adhesion between the liner and cylinder block. With these special thin liners it is impossible to bore the block. In the event of cylinder wall damage (scoring, deep protrusions, etc), the entire cylinder block must be replaced. For increased block rigidity, the 1GR also receives a high temperature plastic insulator/protector, which fills the empty space between the outer portion of the cylinders and block material common to open deck engines."

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wikipedia should be edited. included with pics from this website.

Super Werty

Reaction score
steel liner... cast iron liner.

Whatever its made of its not thick enough thats for sure.

darthyota

Reaction score
i thought it was a nikasil liner? and that it was only like 20thou thick

Jap

Reaction score
Who gives a shit lol

It's no good for the people who want to boost the hell out of it

Top Bottom