Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

no power during take off

zacksblacktaco

Reaction score
yesterday I was picking up some things for Christmas and as I came to a stop light my truck suddenly decided it was gonna lose power, although it was still running I couldn't get it to move forward, it was like I was in neutral but it was easing forward at a very slow pace and after i got a little bit of speed built up it acted like it was stuck in first gear, revving high but never shifted to second or gaining any more speed above 10mph after being in the store for 10mins or so I came back out and my truck wouldn't start but my battery voltage seemed good (13v) on my ultra gauge. I asked for a jump got it started and took off but this is the second episode ive had with the loss of power.
ive been told its a bad torque converter or alternator.
any experience this type of issue or have any knowledge as to what is causing it?

justin13703

Reaction score
Any check engine lights or codes? When you say that it wouldn't start do you mean it wouldn't crank at all or it cranked but didn't fire up?

Doesn't sound like an alternator issue to me. I don't see how the alt would have anything to do with basically putting your truck into limp mode and not shifting lol. Plus if you're actually at 13 volts then it is keeping a full charge.

dramad1

Reaction score
Do you have an aftermarket alarm? Can't tell I'm on my phone. My truck was having issues starting and the reason was my alarm needed to be re synced. Just a thought.

zacksblacktaco

Reaction score
No codes but earlier today it wouldn't start again turned over to acc. And ultragauge read 11.68volts is it possible for a battery to effect the way my truck runs once its started
No alarm system either

autobodyX

Reaction score
CLEAN The battery cable ends, the negative/ground will give strange problems like yours.

zacksblacktaco

Reaction score
I'm picking up a new battery in the morning hopefully ends my issues otherwise ill update this thread
Thanks for all your help guy's

justin13703

Reaction score
So when you say it won't start what exactly is it doing? Not cranking at all? You can try the battery but I feel like whatever the issue is is the same thing causing your driving problems, which isn't being caused by your battery. The biggest load a battery has to put out is to crank the motor, so once it's started there's a relatively small load on it. And it does seem like the alt is charging it because it's staying around 12 volts. I guess the battery is possible, but I'd say unlikely

zacksblacktaco

Reaction score
It cranks but won't turn over all the way.
In about an hour I'm going to town so I'll hit it an see if it starts

zacksblacktaco

Reaction score
Went out this morning turned over the key and kicked over like magic... Idk what's going on now

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Is that with the new battery or current old battery?

Sometimes to much moisture in the starter, around the brushes can cause problems for the battery and starting issues. But not driving issues.

Have you checked your fluid levels, to make sure all is topped off?

zacksblacktaco

Reaction score
all my fluids look good, started this morning with no problems with the old battery took off to town, stopped a couple places and all seemed well but as I was heading home I was once again at a stop light and he same thing happened this time stuck in first gear for about 3/4 of a mile pulled off the side of the road turned it off. started back up started to take off and it started bucking then lost power called a buddy to come give me a jump and it took right off so I stopped by advanced and got a brand new red top Optima
buddy owns a shop and said that since I have no codes or constant missing in the tranny that is possible the battery is sending voltage spike and causing this to go all crazy so now with the new battery im being hopeful that my experiences as of late will go away
(my ultragauge read 13.8 volts when the truck shut itself down)

justin13703

Reaction score
When my maf sensor started going out it would buck real bad and have barely any power and go into limp mode. Never kept it from starting though

Dewey7

Reaction score
I have had this issue mine was a battery. It reads proper voltage but would not start. The battery in mine could not sustain voltage under load I replaced it problem fixed. Hope this helps.

justin13703

Reaction score
I have had this issue mine was a battery. It reads proper voltage but would not start. The battery in mine could not sustain voltage under load I replaced it problem fixed. Hope this helps.

That doesn't explain his driving issue though.

I would do a little more investigating before you just throw a new transmission at it, probably is something much simpler than that

zacksblacktaco

Reaction score
I'm just thinking worse case scenario. I'm gonna find out what it is for sure before I buy anything

Edgeman

Reaction score
I'm picking up a new battery in the morning hopefully ends my issues otherwise ill update this thread
Thanks for all your help guy's

Dude, don't just buy a battery because you think you might need one! AutoZone, Advance Auto and the rest of those places will test your battery (free) to see if it's functioning correctly. Call first to confirm they perform free battery testing, just to be sure...and ask if they perform the test while it's still in your truck, or if you have to pull it and take it into the store. Never buy a battery unless you actually need a battery, but that goes for all parts. It can get expensive if you troubleshoot problems by throwing new parts at your truck.

Back to batteries: the only way to properly test a battery is under a load. It may show the correct voltage, and still not provide sufficient cranking amps. Generally speaking, the only time you'll notice a weak (or bad) battery is when you crank the engine...that's when it has the greatest amperage requirement.

Good luck!

zacksblacktaco

Reaction score
Back to batteries: the only way to properly test a battery is under a load. It may show the correct voltage, and still not provide sufficient cranking amps. Generally speaking, the only time you'll notice a weak (or bad) battery is when you crank the engine...that's when it has the greatest amperage requirement.

Good luck!

thank you for the advice but I got the new battery after several instances of not being able to start and im now waiting for a more definite cause to my problems since the starting issue seems to have gone for the most part.
its shifting hard now thumping periodically when shifting and sometimes when coming to a stop.
im beginning to th

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Do an oil change and make sure there are no metal shavings. (Worst case scenario.)

Top Bottom