Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

LED bulbs=Radio distortion?

pledcan

Reaction score
I got some LED foglights for my truck. They are the style that have the big heatsink on the back of the bulbs...Now when my radio is on, and then the fogs are on, I get terrible reception...As soon as i turn the Fogs off, the reception is fine.

Anyone have any ideas? I like listening to the radio with my fogs on..I could turf the bulbs, but...

Thanks!

metalpeddler88

Reaction score
Not an expert here, but that almost sounds like it's interfering with the ground wire. Do you have a relay to the LED bulbs, or is it plug and play? I would try adding an additional ground wire to the wiring.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad ground somewhere. Wonder if its creating a small electromagnetic field.. that disrupts RF signals like crazy.

pledcan

Reaction score
Yes, they are just plug and play 9005 replacements... I was also thinking of trying to devise a better way of grounding them, but I was more wondering if LEDs can cause some sort of noise/disturbance on the circuit...or if this has happened to anyone else.

Thanks!

X_Less

Reaction score
Interesting... LED's can interfere with certain signals. It's possible it's happening to you.

LED's can wipeout signals... We changed all the light bulbs in my house with LED and when we did my garage my clicker stopped working, Changed the battery and re programmed it to the garage door. But unless i was just about touching the motor with the clicker it still no worky.

Changed the bulbs back to halogen and it worked again... Some googling had me discover this.

http://conversation.which.co.uk/energy-home/led-bulb-radio-interference-dab-test/

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Try wrapping aluminum foil around the bulbs that will block the electromagnetic field from interfering with the radio. See if that helps at all.

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Not on topic, but how do you like the LED fogs (power/color/spread)? :dontknow:

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Not on topic, but how do you like the LED fogs (power/color/spread)? :dontknow:

You'll love em Steve. There awesome. Nice crisp white color. With the latest kit i have u can adjust the spread of the light.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
I got some LED foglights for my truck. They are the style that have the big heatsink on the back of the bulbs...Now when my radio is on, and then the fogs are on, I get terrible reception...As soon as i turn the Fogs off, the reception is fine.

Anyone have any ideas? I like listening to the radio with my fogs on..I could turf the bulbs, but...

Thanks!

Never heard of this before...wonder what they r.

pledcan

Reaction score
Hi, Previously posted a link to bulbs that are similar.

I like them a lot, and would definitely recommend These bulbs except for this problem...

They are not to bright, (definitely brighter than stock!!), and nice and white...they also don't really give off as muck heat as I expected!

I also thought the problem was a bad ground. Or maybe circular currents or something conflicting with the antenna. But I did ground the heat sinks, and it didn't help...I dunno, I would like to try and disconnect the antenna and insulte it from the body some how...see if that works...

I've never heard of LEDs screwing up other developing devices...interesting link posted earlier. I am actually an electrician, and that's news to me! I will look into this! Hopefully I don't have to take the bulbs out.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ps. White beauty- I like the LED reverse bulbs!

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Awesome... Would have loved to have helped u with that I got a set of 4000lumens LED kits now. There wicked awesome.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
I think that heatsink... dont know why its there to begin with because LEDs dont get as hot as regular bulbs.. but i think its causing a RF problem. I work with radios and you would be surprised what can affect RF signals. The aluminum foil trick should help you out though

pledcan

Reaction score
Yippee! Okay, I think I have it sorted!!!

I believe it's RF interference! You gotta use a ferrite choke... A RF interference filter. I have some at work, so I'll try it out, and follow up on this post.

Top Bottom