Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New owner. Wanted to say hi

TacoSawce

Reaction score
New owner. Wanted to say hi (Updated with pics)

Whats up guys.

So I had a bad car accident early in July and totaled my truck. During my time off from work, I searched for a replacement vehicle and I came across a 2005 X-Runner for sale at a local dealership.

Never had any experience with these trucks, but it matched the criteria I was looking for. Much to my surprise, I got way more than I had hoped for and have fallen in love with this truck. Been scouring over these forums for the past month and have been very pleased that this community of enthusiasts exists.

The truck has 105k miles on it and was sold as is. I forgot to ask the dealership for a CarFax at the time and they refused my request for a freebie after I thought of it. I was mainly hoping for some maintenance records.

The truck is in pretty good condition. Few scratches along the sides, a dent in the bumper, some paint nicks here and there. Engine compartment is clean and the interior is solid. Seem like the truck was well taken care of. Wish I could speak to the previous owner and find out his maintenance routine and if he did any other mods aside from the obvious ones I have found.

Anyways, cheers :blurock:

That LED bar is ridiculously bright. Fun to use on certain occasions. Wheels are stock and painted black. Going to have to repaint at some point as 2 of them have significant chips.

dkrTrGv.jpg

Blacked out my emblems. Previous owner went with a dual exhaust setup. Hoping to get this girl up on a lift soon so I can see what all is underneath.

Sss3fKr.jpg

Did a lot of searching for a shiftknob. I think I made a good choice. Matches that sexy Speedway Blue.

Rlq3xDH.jpg

Bumper dent. This is one of my current annoyance triggers. Haven't yet researched getting it fixed/replaced.

3KGxZ5S.jpg

Another annoyance. Looks like someone attempted to remove the pinstriping and in doing so it created a crevice where the clear coat was. Not quite sure what to do about this.

AoLUwGi.jpg

Last edited:

MiamiChillin

Reaction score
Welcome to the Underground! Congrats on your purchase. I just got mine about a month an a half ago and I love it as well. Post up some pictures!

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the SWB and welcome to the Underground! :top:

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Welcome to the family! Post up pics, someone might know whose it was if they were one here.

madtrucker

Reaction score
My story is similar. I didn't realize what I had bought, until the ride home. Toyota will have a record of anything they did to it. Welcome to the Underground!

sixstringdave

Reaction score
Might be worth actually paying for a carfax just so you know exactly what you are getting into.

Welcome to the site

TacoSawce

Reaction score
My story is similar. I didn't realize what I had bought, until the ride home. Toyota will have a record of anything they did to it. Welcome to the Underground!

How would I obtain that information? CarFax? Or is that something I need to specifically request from the dealer?

madtrucker

Reaction score
How would I obtain that information? CarFax? Or is that something I need to specifically request from the dealer?

I was at Toyota and went to the service counter & asked for a service history on my truck. He printed it out. It's only the stuff Toyota has done to it. They put a used motor from an FJ in it. Shows where it was originally sold. Also the dreaded throw out bearing had been replaced. Stuff like that.

TacoSawce

Reaction score
Oh awesome. Will definitely give this a shot. I don't want to replace and upgrade stuff that has already been done. Wonder if I can send them an email and get the same result as going to the service desk.

Currently having an issue with my shifter. Like the whole stick shift lifts up about 1.5inches and it squeeks and rattles. Was going to get a URD short shifter but I am holding off until I can see whats going on with that squeek and the 5th gear grind. The grind doesn't sound like it comes from within the tranny, like when you try to shift too soon. More like 2 cogs having their teeth rub together right at the base of the shifter. Its odd to explain.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Welcome to the underground. Your shifter might be worn out and need to be replaced. Sounds like it has a lot of play in it. They aren't hard to pull out though.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Currently having an issue with my shifter. Like the whole stick shift lifts up about 1.5inches and it squeeks and rattles.

Sounds like your shift arm is shot. Believe it or not our shifters are 2 pieces. The first is the rod that comes out of the trans, the second is the, for a lack of a better term, the cone shaped black pipe below the shift knob. The top piece surrounds the lower. They're joined by a rubber bushing that wears out with time. The bushing is there to reduce vibration and trans noise in the cab. You'll need a new shift arm. So you have a few options.
  • OEM Replacement with URD SS kit
  • TRD Short Shift Kit
  • Coupe Modded Shifter kit

TacoSawce

Reaction score
I reviewed a lot of the short shifter threads and it looks fairly simple. I just need to pull it apart and check it out when I am able to go without my truck for a few days.

Does Coupe still craft his short shifters? I wouldnt particularly care for a shorter length shifter as I like where it currently sits. Was gonna go with the URD short throw mod though. I like how Coupe mods his shifter with the epoxy. Seems like that would be pretty sturdy and really dampen vibration.

TacoSawce

Reaction score
If its cool with the forum mods, I may just ride this thread out as kind of a journal for documenting my XR.

Checked with Toyota and they have vehicle service history records available online.

Only shows 1 logged record, which was a replacement of the throw out bearing around 70k miles. The CarFax report I generated shows a record @ 25k miles; "Differential carrier bearing(s) replaced. Differential replaced". Found that kind of surprising, as I haven't read much on here about problems with the differential. Wondering if they just worded it oddly or if the diff was really swapped.

Also, much to my surprise, CarFax.com is hella easy to exploit via URL manipulation. Did a search on a car trader site, found an ad that had a free CarFax report link. I replaced the VIN in the URL with my taco's VIN, and bam, free $40 CarFax. So if anyone out there wants a free CarFax, use this method :top:

Looks like my truck started its life in Florida. 4 previous owners.

Will try to get some pictures up today. There's one definitive mod on the front of the truck that someone here may recognize.

TacoSawce

Reaction score
Pics added to first post in thread. Lemme know what you guys think or if you recognize it!

Top Bottom