Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

High pitched whining sound during start up

nutt14

Reaction score
Hey guys! was wondering if you guys could help me figure something out. Every morning when I start my truck to warm it up I get this ridiculous high pitched whining sound coming from the engine and I can't pin point where it is coming from. It only last around 10 seconds after start up then goes away and only during the winter months. Truck rides fine and everything and never makes the sound after the truck has warmed up. I will try to post a vid soon. thx!

Coupe

Reaction score
You might have a bearing going out in one of the idler pulleys.

nutt14

Reaction score
I am replacing the belts this weekend, I inspected them and a few cracks here and there I didn't think they were to bad. Also will check the pulleys and will post results later. I appreciate the help from you guys thanks a bunch!

cmart357

Reaction score
Yeah I have had that noise on plenty of cars. Strong odds are a loose/bad belt or pulley. Got the same noise on my econo s#*t box geo but im waiting till it breaks. The xrunner gets all the attention in the garage these days :)

nutt14

Reaction score
welp I changed my belts and it took just over 2 hrs. The super charger belt was worn pretty bad but the other had no signs of wear. first time changing the belts on this truck and im at 50k miles. Oh and the squeal is gone btw

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Took a while to get to it, but easy enough fix. :top:

Top Bottom