Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tacoma vs Colorado ?!?

Redline

Reaction score
There is a big hype that the new 2015 Chevrolet Colorado will be Tacoma's competition this upcoming year. Personally i seen this truck at SEMA it was rather nice interior and exterior. The Colorado Delivers 305 HP and 26 mpg and will be releasing a diesel next year sometime. The only problem that with Chevy they have never really made a reliable mid size pickup s-10 and the older Colorado. it seems there is no consistency in reliability for instance two of my family members owned an s10 one truck went 250k til it gave up and the other went 110k and finally failed. VS a Toyota you can expect high mileage out of any vehicle. Im at 165k with my XR and still going strong. My father owned a Toyota pickup and must have gone at least 400k til he rebuilt it. Thoughts anyone? i posted a link on a comparison page Chevrolet has on their web

http://www.chevrolet.com/colorado-small-truck/colorado-vs-tacoma.html

metalpeddler88

Reaction score
Seems like the Colorado is offering a lot. Guess my mentality is the more features there are, the more issues that could arise, needing repair. Seen it in many vehicles. Digital dashboards power going out. Cruise control failing. Sunroofs leaking. Etc...
Granted, our quality seems to have gotten better, but then again newer vehicles aren't really designed to last hundreds of thousands of miles, or many many years. Just like new phones. :disappointed:
But like any other truck or car, just have to take care of it and make repairs too keep it going. I'd like to see how the new Colorado fairs within it's first year. My guess is some people will be finding problems. Leave it to the consumer for final testing. :smile:

Last edited:

Edgeman

Reaction score
Looks like Chevy is getting serious:

Chevrolet’s ZR2 Concept is the Diesel-Powered Off-Roader You Want
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...diesel-powered-off-roader-you-want/ar-BBeTobC

Underhood, the Colorado ZR2 concept is powered by the new 2.8-liter Duramax turbo-diesel I-4 engine that boasts an estimated 181 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque, mounted to a six-speed transmission. The engine is slated to be a production option for the Colorado for the 2016 model year

My biggest beef with Toyota: they sell diesel powered Hilux pickups all over the world...except here, their biggest market. What's up with that?

justin13703

Reaction score
I saw the new Colorado a few weeks back. If I had to make a decision between a new tacoma and a new Colorado, it would be the Colorado hands down. Half because of how toyota screwed me and laughed about it, and half because the Colorado is just a nicer truck. I loved my tacoma but the new colorados are real nice and this is only their first year back.

I had an s10 when I was in high school and I loved it. And the problem with reliability with new Tacomas is the transmission. The amount of these transmissions that go out or have major problems under 100k is staggering. Hell mine went through 3 throwout bearings and pretty much completely went out by 60k.

Last edited:

KrazyIvan

Reaction score
I saw the new Colorado a few weeks back. If I had to make a decision between a new tacoma and a new Colorado, it would be the Colorado hands down. Half because of how toyota screwed me and laughed about it, and half because the Colorado is just a nicer truck. I loved my tacoma but the new colorados are real nice and this is only their first year back.

I had an s10 when I was in high school and I loved it. And the problem with reliability with new Tacomas is the transmission. The amount of these transmissions that go out or have major problems under 100k is staggering. Hell mine went through 3 throwout bearings and pretty much completely went out by 60k.

Lack of demand? Requirements to make them smog legal? Diesel is not as sexy and kewl as hybrids? :dontknow:

It seems like almost every car model in the rest of the world has a diesel engine option...while here one is limited to work trucks and occasional high end European makes :argh:

If an actual diesel Hilux came to the US, I would immediately buy 2 of those suckers.

I never buy a first generation or current year redesign models...i part because I don't want to pay an early adopter premium and in part I don't want to be a guinea pig for whatever issues could not be predicted.

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
Lack of demand? Requirements to make them smog legal? Diesel is not as sexy and kewl as hybrids? :dontknow:

It seems like almost every car model in the rest of the world has a diesel engine option...while here one is limited to work trucks and occasional high end European makes :argh:

If an actual diesel Hilux came to the US, I would immediately buy 2 of those suckers.

I never buy a first generation or current year redesign models...i part because I don't want to pay an early adopter premium and in part I don't want to be a guinea pig for whatever issues could not be predicted.

I think you meant to quote edgeman on that lol

But as for the diesel topic, I think the reason most companies are slow to bring diesel options to the American market, is that most people over here are absolutely terrified of Diesel engines. They think they're loud clunky dirty inefficient fragile things. When in reality it's the complete opposite. The amount of power and mileage that can be squeezed out of a small diesel is amazing.

Me and the old lady just bought a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze turbo diesel for her about 2 months ago. The power and mileage of this thing is unbelievable. Damn near 300 lb/ft of torque and has averaged around 55mpg on road trips. With less than 5k miles on it. My dad also has a diesel jetta, an 05 I think, and that has also been a great motor.

But yes when it comes down to it I think diesels really aren't offered in America because people over here are terrified of them and don't want to even try them out. Unfortunately

Judas

Reaction score
The people around here that are interested in diesels, want nothing to do with Toyotas....

Edgeman

Reaction score
I was sold on Toyota diesels when I saw that Top Gear episode where they tried to kill it, but were unsuccessful. Craziest thing I've ever seen, and I instantly wanted a new Toyota turbo-diesel powered Tacoma!

Redline

Reaction score
I was sold on Toyota diesels when I saw that Top Gear episode where they tried to kill it, but were unsuccessful. Craziest thing I've ever seen, and I instantly wanted a new Toyota turbo-diesel powered Tacoma!

That episode was insane and I bet that helped Toyota sales!!!!! I too would like a diesel !!!!

Top Bottom