Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Just a rant

metalpeddler88

Reaction score
Sorry, but I feel the need to rant.

I recently tried to sign up for a non-vehicle related forum (I'll withhold the name of the forum for now). First, they require a registration request. Odd, but I figured it was to keep out the spammers. Well, over 24 hours went by, and nothing. I tried to log in, just to see, and get a message saying that I was banned. I hadn't even gotten the chance to do anything! So I sent an email asking why. I got two separate responses. The first email explained I was instantly blocked because I used a free yahoo email address (the one I use for everything). The forum apparently only accepts email accounts that you pay for, or a gmail account. Ok, so I am not about to pay for an email, I guess I'll just use a gmail account. But wait, I got another email stating a second reason. My username I chose (same one as here and other forums) was not allowed. My username isn't offensive to anybody, otherwise I am sure I would have heard about it within the past 10 years. Well, it's not the letters in there, it's the number! Apparently "88" is forbidden at the forum. They indirectly accused me of being a neo-nazi because the number 8. At this point, I am beyond p*****. I look up why 88 is a neo-nazi reference, thanks to wikipedia. (Neo-Nazis use the number 88 as an abbreviation for the salute [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_salute"]Heil Hitler[/ame]. The letter H is eighth in the alphabet, whereby 88 becomes HH.) Even though most people will see 88 and say, "Oh! You must have been born in 88". The forum admins looked past the obvious intention of the 88, and indirectly accused me of something asinine. I responded back with a "thank you for the response", and a small smart ass comment. Needless to say, that forum is not one I want to be part of anymore. I understand that the forum is "private", and can make up their own rules/guidelines. But if they are going to be that picky, they need to implement a filtering system that automatically says "invalid username or email". That way I don't wait for 24 hours to find out I was declined and banned! And since most forums share the same basic rules and guidelines, I don't generally read all the fine print of the multiple page user agreement. I am sure others don't either, just click next.
:wtf:
Ok, rant over. Thanks for bearing with me here. Now I need a drink.

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
The Chinese view "8" as a luck number, like American's view "7."

What Wiki has to say about the number 88:

Cultural significance

In Chinese culture

Further information: numbers in Chinese culture

Number 88 symbolizes fortune and good luck in Chinese culture, since the word 8 sounds similar to the word Fā (发, which implies 发财, or wealth, in Mandarin or Cantonese). The number 8 is considered to be the luckiest number in Chinese culture, and prices in Chinese supermarkets often contain many 8s. The shape of the Chinese character for 8 (八) implies that a person will have a great, wide future as the character starts narrow and gets wider toward the bottom. The Chinese government has been auctioning auto license plates containing many 8s for tens of thousands of dollars. The 2008 Beijing Olympics opened on 8/8/08 at 8 p.m.[1]

In addition, 88 is also used to mean "bye bye (再 见)" in Chinese-language chats, text messages, SMSs and IMs. 88 is pronounced in Chinese Mandarin language as "ba ba" ("bā ba" to be precise), simulating the sound of the English language "bye bye".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/88_(number)

2 references above the Neo-Nazi entry...

rennurx

Reaction score
My favorite number is 8.. guess I should change it haha.. I am curious as to what forum u were trying to go on tho..

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
And ppl think Xru is "over moderated" :argh::laugh:

metalpeddler88

Reaction score
Its just crazy. I can understand some filtering, but insta-banning people because of the number 8... speechless. Give me a chance at least. But it's their forum, their rules. Perhaps they've had some issues in the past. Who knows. They actually sent another response, saying "You don't know what you don't know". Followed by another excerpt from Wikipedia of "Nazi Symbolism". At least they aren't being complete arses, trying to explain why.
Now that I've had a day to chill, it's kinda funny now. But now I will never look at the number 8 the same now. :stupid:

Reaction score
Wow, sounds like when I was in Junior High. So many stupid rules and objections just to fit in. It just ain't worth it.

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
They must hate the Back To The Future trilogy...

88 miles per hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom