Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

higher psi radiator cap?

STONER-X

Reaction score
I have a feeling mine going bad or is bad....

Looking for something a few psi higher.. 18 or so??

Gadget

Reaction score
Why do you want a higher PSI cap? Are you having trouble with your current one venting now?

G

STONER-X

Reaction score
I have posted about it before how my truck tends to run a tad hotter than most here.... 189-190ish at a light... which isn't much hotter but it is still a few degrees (187-189 seems more normal). .. since I have gone with the top mount sitting at a light I see 194-196 a lot more than I like.... Also during medium acceleration it pops up to 192 sometimes 194 at freeway speeds...

it has done this since I have been supercharged (6000 miles) just seems to do it a lot easier not that I have the extra pipes up top (85000 miles)...

I just wonder is my cap vents too early causing the few degree rise.. If I am going to swap caps I was thinking I might as well go up a few degrees to compensate for the extra under hood temp

Gadget

Reaction score
No that has nothing to do with the cap.

The thermostat controls the minimum temp, not the max temp. The max temp is controlled by the capacity of the cooling system.

Over time aluminum radiators have something weird happen to them and the metal gets more brittle and becomes less heat conductive. The other weird thing that happens is the spot in the radiator directly in front of the fan clutch tends to collect more deposits and such so the thermostat in the fan clutch does not get air as hot as the rest of the air coming through so you can get a lazy fan clutch action and it not blow as it should when it should causing temps to rise at lower speeds. You can diagnose this by using one of those IR thermometers and checking the temp in the center of the radiator in front of the clutch to the areas around it. If you see a big difference that is what is going on. The only real fix is a new radiator.

Now when the system heats up enough to build enough pressure to vent the cap, you are talking way hotter than you are seeing and you will see it blowing out of the tank. Normally when you see this, you have a failed head gasket.

I really doubt you need a higher pressure cap. It is good practice every few years to install a new one, but at the same pressure rating as stock.

In summary, don't waste your money on a higher pressure cap.

G

STONER-X

Reaction score
Thanks G that helped a lot and made perfect since... I guess I'll be on the hunt for a better cooling system..

Gadget

Reaction score
It might just be the sensor is off a tad and you are really just fine.

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wrapping your exhaust and charge pipes will help keep down the engine bay temps as well.

My cooling system gets as low as 175*. High of 185*. I love my radiator and SPAL fans. Lol.

STONER-X

Reaction score
I would love to wrap my pipes but I don't want to do it to my truck while it is a DD...

Gadget

Reaction score
What difference does it make being a daily driver?

G

Top Bottom