Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Re-Installing My Supercharger

iniazy

Reaction score
That's what Scott was suspecting. But if that were the case the car wouldn't run with the UCON off without anything connected to the ECU. And without any codes thrown whatsoever.

iniazy

Reaction score
So my UCON reached Gadget and he tested it on the bench and in a truck, it works perfectly. I actually expected it to work.

This is a real puzzle. It is being shipped back to me, so I will give it another go. I'll talk my friend, a Fortuner V6 owner, into allowing me to install it on his Fortuner and test it. If it works, then I'll probably replace the harness, get one from the junk yard. Scott and Torpsd would be correct in that the problem is with the old wiring.

I was also thinking possibly the UCON is preventing the key from transmitting its immobilizer signal to the ECU, but Gadget assured me that the truck in which it was tested was equipped with Toyota immobilizer.

Last edited:

iniazy

Reaction score
I started installing the cam gears while I wait for my UCON to come back. Man, that screw is impossible to break loose! I used an adjustable spanner to hold the hex part of the cam gear, but I think I need to buy a proper open-ended 24 mm spanner to do it properly.

I tried doubling the spanner as the instructions suggest, but the two spanners were flexing a lot without breaking the screw loose, so I am now using the handle of a high lift jack to extend its length.

Going out tomorrow morning to buy some tools.

PS: I figured even if the UCON didn't work out, I'd still like to have those cam gears installed. But I hope it does work out.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Breaking that bolt loose is very tough the first time. I use a long shank boxed end wrench on the bolt, and a long handled crescent wrench on the camshaft. Two people working together really help the first time.

iniazy

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I was thinking last night. Two people. Four arms are better than only two.

iniazy

Reaction score
DONE!

Cam gears installed. Went out to buy some proper tools, a boxed 17mm spanner, really high quality, and an open 24 mm spanner. To hold the cam shaft from rotating, on the passenger side, I used a technique I found on-line, using a 90 degree aluminum piece to protect the head aluminum casting:

DSC_0207_zpsixccrjwz.jpg

On the driver side I just let the spanner lean on the other cam shaft, with some padding. I used my hi-lift jack hndle bar to extend the length of the 17 mm spanner, and managed to break both loose with some serious effort.

Here's the part I hate most: taking my aluminum intake manifold off and putting it back on. It requires liquid gasket maker which is why I hate doing it.

DSC_0208_zps0c5za9nc.jpg

No more pictures, since the replacement of the cam sprockets is a procedure documented many times I wasn't keen on documenting it again.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done. I like the aluminum angle to protect the head. Should be able to notice a slight difference. If not, you engne will certainly enjoy the added benefit of cooler combustion temps. :top:

iniazy

Reaction score
Well, I have verified that:

1. UCON Flex has absolutely no compatibility issues with the Fortuner ECU.
2. It works perfectly

I borrowed the Tuna (Fortuner nick name) from a friend with stock everything, and plugged in the UCON, and the engine fired up perfectly. So I know now that I have a problem with my truck.

I'll try to trace all my wires to verify that all grounds are ok; if I must, I'll replace the whole engine harness.

I'm happy and upset in the same time. Happy that I can use the amazing UCON, and upset because that's a whole lot more work for me to do.

Oh, why couldn't it just run and save me the trouble?!! My truck is the absolute definition of Murphy's law.

Stock fortuner:
DSC_0266_zpsk0hcsu5r.jpg

Hooked up:
DSC_0267_zpsn4ry0sp5.jpg

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
It is the path of progress. That is good.

Redlantern

Reaction score
At least u know it works! Just pick up a full harness from the junkyard or something. Is the fortuner dime a dozen there?

iniazy

Reaction score
Oh yes, plenty of it. V6 are less common than I4 though.

I started digging into my harness connections and reached the crankshaft position sensor. I thought since I'm there I'll replace the crankshaft sensor just in case it turns out to be the culprit. It didn't.

Last edited:

iniazy

Reaction score
Old wiring harness finally pulled out, and the new one plugged in:
DSC_0268_zpsetvdvivo.jpg

It was a PITA to pull out, I gave up on doing it myself and towed the truck to a friend's shop to finish the job. The difficult part is unplugging the auto transmission. Too tight.

Picked up a harness from the junk yard, which turned out to be in really decent condition.

So now the new harness is in, but I can't run the truck yet, because my MAF sensor plug is too short. In the old harness I cut up the wrapping around the harness to free it up and make it reach the new MAF sensor location, but I don't want to do that with the new harness, so I'm waiting for my harness extension to come from URD. Once that's in (probably end of next week or begining of the week after that), I'll see if the engine will run with the UCON. Oh, please please run!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was just about to mention the MAF extension harness, then read a little further and didn't need to. Oh the stories we write of these modding adventures.

How long until the MAF extension arrives?

iniazy

Reaction score
Another week or two. Takes a bit of time to cross the ocean ;)

iniazy

Reaction score
Bad news. Murphy is knocking my door again. Even with the new harness the engine wouldn't start with the UCON Flex. So I have replaced the entire harness, replaced the crank position sensor, and still I'm getting the following error codes: P0351 through P0356. Engine runs without the UCON.

I'm going to try one last attempt, and that is to try another newer model ECU. Then I'll have to go find another system.

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
Put a fresh battery in the truck.

G

iniazy

Reaction score
Scott recommended the same thing. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. I'll do that.

Gadget

Reaction score
You have to spin the engine between 70 and 100 RPM for a clean start. Otherwise the UCON cannot pick out the missing teeth in the timing wheel and won't fire the ignitors properly.

iniazy

Reaction score
I hooked up the battery to a powerful battery charger and jump starter at my friend's shop, and cranked at 13 Volts. Still wouldn't start.

I also went today and pulled a FJ Cruiser ECU from the scrap yard, and hooked it up to my truck, which gave the exact same result. It fires up without the UCON but not with it. I was surprised that it fired up without programming my key on it!

Anyone got a wiring harness diagram, to compare it with mine? Perhaps something is missing.

Also, my Fortuner is an Automatic, and the one I tested it in, which worked, was a manual. I wonder if that makes any difference.

Gadget

Reaction score
Did you get the ground wires on the back of the cylinder heads reconnected properly?

Top Bottom