Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SD X'S new build.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I figured at this point my old thread has reached a point of where i cant even consider it to be a continuation of my old build. More so entire new build all together. Im tired of reinventing the wheel. My entire truck has been just that, testing this, doing that, this breaks...etc.At this point, I just want to enjoy it. Building a drift truck is hard enough. My second stock 1gr blew for un-known reasons, i've decided to go entirely different route.

With what seems to be more and more drift cars going the v8 route, more specifically LSx route. Asking around, i finally figured out why. Power. Simple. Cheap, reliable power. No 2.0l 4 bangers strung out to the proverbial 11, pushing for 400hp for a measly 3 events before another part blows. Same goes for our engines. They aren't power monsters, and while a few brave souls are going that route, building, blowing, and repeating the process, i dont feel like dealing with all that drama. I wish bid them all good luck and thoroughly appreciate there hard work. I really hope we can find a proven recipe for power and reliability esp in a truck that is actually pushed hard. But until then, i have to my trucks current heart farewell....

Next key bit, in the Republic of Komifornia, we have very strict emissions testing. Building power is easy. Keeping your truck road legal is another thing all together. I love driving my truck, really do esp on the street. We all know the feeling, the looks, the stares, street kills and random convos with strangers about your truck.

But, comes a point where the line must be drawn. With ever increasing smog standards, i might not even be able to get my truck smogged this year (Illegally). So, it will more then likely become a track only vehicle.

So, at this point, with my mind set on all out drift truck mode...where to begin? I haven't even tested my new suspension yet. XII coil overs and new lower drop leafs...So we'll leave that for now...

Well, how about with a better engine platform...

• LS1/T-56 and entire engine wiring/ecu, gas pedal, etc...L
Year and model of donor car is pending further research, (ease of tuning, availability...etc) Leaning toward 99-02 camaro SS, trans gear ratios are better for what i want. Both sides of equation will be build to last, trans and engine. Trans will be built regardless of power levels, simply because of the abuse it will be going under. Engine will remain stock (internals), as ill be keeping (shooting for) power around 350ish or more...for now :crinklehair: So in other words, not much more then what i was at...difference will be this time, the LS wont be breaking a sweat doing it :blurock:

Engine go fast goodies

• Hottest f'n cam on the market. IDGAF about daily driveabily. I don't want this ****er to idle when im done.
  • Headers, (modified ls1 s-10 swap headers), x pipe, dual exhaust, dumping straight through through the back crash bar, corvette style. :rockon:
  • Custom intake (given) , larger TB...stuff for getting more air in. LS6 heads, mani...etc if i feel brave.
  • Tune for all of this, probably will need larger injectors too.
Best part of all the above mentioned stuff, its nothing new. Making power, reliably out fo a LSX isnt anything new.

Now, along with the trans being built. Twin disk clutch will be going in too, to handle the shock loads. Custom one piece drive-shaft and different rear gears. 4.11's with, you guessed it...Welded diff :top:

Baffled/deeper oil pan will be probably be custom due to the nature of the install, more research pending on that. Cant have any oil starvation during opposite lock. :ahhhhh:Full gauge cluster from a Camaro will come too. Will be adding coolant temp and oil pressure gauge. Probably where my boost/afr gauge is mounted. :top:

Hodrod and rexrunner, ill be P'ming you guys a lot...Trying to figure out the needed little things to make this all work. Thinks like power-steering line adapters, fuses, diagrams... :adore:

ALL 1gr parts will be soid, engine (blown, ring failure), trans, clutch/flywheel. S/C is pending sale (local only), UCON and coupe pan are pending/sold. please, PM me with dibs and needed parts as ill have alot laying around....:top: PLEASE, dont clutter this thread up with it.

Mods, feel free to lock my old thread...A new beast is being born :blurock:

First key mod. Boom!!! daily driver son! 2000 Honda civic LX, autotragic with 117k on the odo. Free, from a older family member. Put gas, oiil and keep some meat on the tires and should last a good while. :blurock:

20130511_164459_zps29c765fe.jpg

Part out and removal of 1gr has begun. Starting up top, with needed TRD accessories. Keeping everything bagged and labeled so it can go right onto who ever ends up snagging it. :top:

20130513_212958_zpsd38d6a8d.jpg

I work full time, so this will be being built on weekends only. Will update as progress is made.

This weekend, oil pan and the rest of the TRD goodies are coming off. Maybe start removing more engine acces. Headers, exhaust, heater lines, drain block, oil...etc. Trans and drive shaft if i can find some muscle to help. Goal to have engine coming out by next weekend. Start removing wiring, toyota control stuff, oh, entire HVAC system is coming out too. Shedding those LBS. :top:

Once everything is running. Cage is going to shortly follow.

Just like the Phoenix, Stephanie is going to rise from the ashes. Bigger, badder, angrier. Now featuring power from the US of A :rockon:

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Good to hear Kev!!!!! The LSX is definitely a great choice for your situation. Like I already said before, if my transmission or engine goes, I'm going LSX route too. :top:

Could you make a detailed list of all the things needed (with part numbers) and tips for the install as you go? I'm sure it would help others along in the future and possibly me too.

Redlantern

Reaction score
Sweet man. I like your plan. Lsx engines are awesome. If you just switch out the cam and do reverse headers for a turbo I'm sure you'll reach your goals easy. Be sure to check ls1tech for lots of info too. As far as tuning goes, megasquirt is what a lot of them are running.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Sweet man. I like your plan. Lsx engines are awesome. If you just switch out the cam and do reverse headers for a turbo I'm sure you'll reach your goals easy. Be sure to check ls1tech for lots of info too. As far as tuning goes, megasquirt is what a lot of them are running.

Boost will come later on. 350 some odd horsepower will be a sinch for a ls series engine. Remember, reliability is goal. Even with the outer safety zone of the ls being north 500...I will throw rods and pistons before I go all out and start forcing air into it :top:

Reaction score
We can make this happen for you, we've got about a bajillion different LS hybrid vehicles we've done. The huge factor in doing an LS swap (especially one intended for drifting) is setting the right components in place to do the job as intended.

Buying the cheapest junkyard donor you can get your hands on is a sweet feeling at 1st, till you get to the end and realize how many misc little items you had to purchase to make that donor work vs. starting with a more expensive initial donor that had better suited attributes in place from day 1.

The 99-02 donor is OK for a foundation, but really if you want to have a solid and easy power band you could do better piece mealing it vs. a full donor, alot of the donor items won't be needed when it comes down it it.

This is the reciepe i recommend:
- LS_, don't care what block, then put 6.0 rotating assembly in it w/ 1x/24x reluctor system
- LS3 top end if on a budget or worked cathedral top end w/ fast bits if you can spend a little
- Do not go balls out on the cam, drift cars with flat power bands are easier to drive and adjust when on the edge, so a cam spec'd to produce a broad and flat power curve that gives up a little top end will result in a engine profile that you can use weather you enter a corner at 3krpm or 6krpm
- Wiring, don't even touch the factory stuff, go full aftermarket, we distribute the best harnesses out there that retain full OBD compliance for diagnostics, and have all the outputs needed to run a bank of aftermarket gauges. Do NOT use any company that is popular with Honda swaps to run your LS motor.
- Headers, if cali legal not gonna happen. For a cali friendly setup your initial best bet is factory LS7 headers and cats, if you want to push the envelope a little bit you could run holley LS swap headers and retrofit factory cats, or run ARH hugger headers and then factory 5th gen cats. All depends how much you want to push the envelope.
- Fueling, go return fuel system and be done with it. I don't recall if your truck was stock tank or not but you can shed some weight if you go ahead and go fuel cell and that will make a return system cake. If you want to glam it up w/ surge tank system too then that would be cool, but don't fiddle with dead heading or all that crap, just accept a return system and you'll lead a much more stress free life. You'll def need injectors, factory LS3's will likely do the trick if you keep it under 450hp all motor.

The real simple way is throw it on a transport and ship it here. Nothing we can't stick an LS in ;-)

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
:word: right there. :top: And have worked on/sponsored a few LS swapped drift vehicles already. :D

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Sweet Kev look forward to seein you tear up the streets with that american V8!!!

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
We can make this happen for you, we've got about a bajillion different LS hybrid vehicles we've done. The huge factor in doing an LS swap (especially one intended for drifting) is setting the right components in place to do the job as intended.

Buying the cheapest junkyard donor you can get your hands on is a sweet feeling at 1st, till you get to the end and realize how many misc little items you had to purchase to make that donor work vs. starting with a more expensive initial donor that had better suited attributes in place from day 1.

The 99-02 donor is OK for a foundation, but really if you want to have a solid and easy power band you could do better piece mealing it vs. a full donor, alot of the donor items won't be needed when it comes down it it.

This is the reciepe i recommend:
- LS_, don't care what block, then put 6.0 rotating assembly in it w/ 1x/24x reluctor system
- LS3 top end if on a budget or worked cathedral top end w/ fast bits if you can spend a little
- Do not go balls out on the cam, drift cars with flat power bands are easier to drive and adjust when on the edge, so a cam spec'd to produce a broad and flat power curve that gives up a little top end will result in a engine profile that you can use weather you enter a corner at 3krpm or 6krpm
- Wiring, don't even touch the factory stuff, go full aftermarket, we distribute the best harnesses out there that retain full OBD compliance for diagnostics, and have all the outputs needed to run a bank of aftermarket gauges. Do NOT use any company that is popular with Honda swaps to run your LS motor.
- Headers, if cali legal not gonna happen. For a cali friendly setup your initial best bet is factory LS7 headers and cats, if you want to push the envelope a little bit you could run holley LS swap headers and retrofit factory cats, or run ARH hugger headers and then factory 5th gen cats. All depends how much you want to push the envelope.
- Fueling, go return fuel system and be done with it. I don't recall if your truck was stock tank or not but you can shed some weight if you go ahead and go fuel cell and that will make a return system cake. If you want to glam it up w/ surge tank system too then that would be cool, but don't fiddle with dead heading or all that crap, just accept a return system and you'll lead a much more stress free life. You'll def need injectors, factory LS3's will likely do the trick if you keep it under 450hp all motor.

The real simple way is throw it on a transport and ship it here. Nothing we can't stick an LS in ;-)

You guys must think im some kind of sort of fool to let a honda shop touch my baby. :laugh:

I perfectly capable of doing the swap my self. No offense, but im kinda anal about letting shops touch my truck. And then there is cost of having that shipped and built there far exceeds my buget.

Now piecing together the engine.... I might need to get in contact with you guys and have that portion built. With one of your harnesses that would leave that portion of the build up to the experts and make life much easier. Pm some qoutes for engine like you guys described, or througg e-mail if easier. :adore:

dramad1

Reaction score
This weekend, oil pan and the rest of the TRD goodies are coming off. Maybe start removing more engine acces. Headers, exhaust, heater lines, drain block, oil...etc. Trans and drive shaft if i can find some muscle to help. Goal to have engine coming out by next weekend. Start removing wiring, toyota control stuff, oh, entire HVAC system is coming out too. Shedding those LBS. :top:

If I ain't doing sh!t, it will depend if the wife works and i have my boys. I'm down to lend a hand if you need it. Just let me know.
Sounds like an adventurious build if that's even a word.

Outburst

Reaction score
If I ain't doing sh!t, it will depend if the wife works and i have my boys. I'm down to lend a hand if you need it. Just let me know.
Sounds like an adventurious build if that's even a word.

If im free im also down to help!

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Wow, appreciate the help guys!!!

plan on maybe pulling the engine, not this weekend but the next. Who ever helps with this, can get dibs on parts before i actually list em for sale on here. Headers, oem oil cooler, spare parts, o2 sim,...etc

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
So I wanna pull the engine this weekend, but I cant get a cherry picker over here due to my lack of a truck. Lol. So if anyone is for sure gonna be wanting to help, let me know as I might need you to swing by my buddies house and grab his picker!

Please and thanks!

dramad1

Reaction score
As of now, I can cruise down to help on Saturday.where does your boy live? I may be able to pick it up. Post up or pm me. Are you gonna need anything else?

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
As of now, I can cruise down to help on Saturday.where does your boy live? I may be able to pick it up. Post up or pm me. Are you gonna need anything else?

Off greenfield in clantee. Assuming you come down the 67 out of bfe, then hes on your way. :top:

Top Bottom