Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

4inch block vs djm cnotch vs removing leaf spring with 2inch block?

joman

Reaction score
ok guys after reading this thread i'm a lil curious to know what is better?
http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=34495
4 inch block?
c notch? for the djm kit
removing a leaf spring and 2inch block?

my unltimate goal is to be lowered 4inches in the rear..

i've done a lot of research and i could not find anything that would satisfy me because the end result is it your preference. So i'm calling in all the lowered guys and the suspension gurus for your input. which is better what i listed about? this does not include the trac bar so lets leave that out of teh equation.. i know there is the option of the sittin sic track kit...but lets include that as well...

ultimately i want to me 3/4 so i hope that helps..

thanks in advance!

DemonXrunner

Reaction score
I think that if you have the money def go with leafs, but I have heard that you may get some occasional bottoming out action on bad roads. The DJM kit you cant go wrong with.

Me personally I would notch the frame regardless of what kit i go with to ensure that I will never bottom out.

Hope I was able to help and not confuse you! :)

Vince77

Reaction score
I think you should just go the the DJM 3/4 drop. But no matter what, if your lowered 4" in the back you'll need to notch the frame. It would be a rough ride without it.

lvxr

Reaction score
if you're not going to notch it definitely use the 4in block, it'll be a bit stiffer. removing a leaf and using a 2 inch block will get you there but the rear will be so soft that you'll be bottoming out on everything. either way you're going to be bottoming out a lot with no notch, but i guess it would be a little better with the 4in block.

If you're going to c-notch then dont worry about bottoming out, BUT then i'd still go with the 4in block for stiffness. Removing a leaf makes it feel soft, almost too soft unless you have stiff shocks. also, your towing capacity goes to shiet if you remove a leaf...

hope this helps.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
dont remove a leaf, get the full DJM kit with the notch, thats the best, safest way to do it

look up DJMDirect on the boards and he can hook you up with the kit.

If the trac bar doesnt matter then I dont think that thread applies to you, so no worries about that canister either

micpun

Reaction score
Alright, i guess my turn to chime in.

I cant say ive drove/rode in a DJM notch with 4" blocks, so I dont know how it would compare to just 4" blocks compared to my setup. I contemplated the same thing that you are going thru right now.

I decided to go a route that no one has. I got the composite leafs that have a 2.25" drop and got 1.75" blocks made with tapered the angle. I also did get the c-notch. Without the notch your truck will definitely be sitting on the axle. The big thing was for me to get the QA1's. With the QA1's I really dont bottom out all that much. I have them dailed up to 8 (they go up to 12). I definitely bottomed out more with the stock leaf and 2" block without a notch. Grumpy had a chance to drive my truck but it wasnt a long test drive but we went over a few railroad tracks going 35+ with no problems. I dont think my way would be the "best way" per say but what ever way you go, the QA1's will, in my opinion, have to be a for sure purchase.

Last edited:

lvxr

Reaction score
i really need some QA1's .....my belltechs suck

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
^ooo Ive been wondering about blocks on the composites, but Ive also heard that if you have a notch its possible for the leafs to, I guess over extend, and de-arch which sounds bad lol

micpun

Reaction score
i got bigger bumpstops to less the travel and ward against that.

joman

Reaction score
ok thanks for everyone's replies and quick response..you guys rock. :rockon:

everyone answered my question and more...i just needed more insight...

again thanks guys.

DemonXrunner

Reaction score
Is it really physically possible for the leaf to over extend? I never though there was enough weight on the bed to cause this. Now with some weight in the bed I can see that happening.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
we are talking the composites, not the metal ones, I would bet even with an empty bed, a big bump hit the wrong way could do it to

DemonXrunner

Reaction score
Oh shit that def changes my mind about the composite leafs. Specially since I put my ATV in the bed.

micpun

Reaction score
man, i need to find the pics but grumpy has composite leafs and we had at least 10 people sitting/standing in the back of his truck as we drove around the parking lot.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
:hmmmm2: do yo have a notch, how much does the atv weigh? Id talk to shane dirtectly to be sure but...

if you dont have a notch and have bump stops, then there is no chance of the leaf, basically flexing completely flat and/or bending up, the opposite way

micpun

Reaction score
heres pics

DSCF2402.jpg

DSCF2403.jpg

DSCF2404.jpg

i got bigger bumpstops to limit the travel of the composite leafs. there is about 2" of room before the axle hits the bumpstops, which is the same amount of travel as a stock oem leaf, no c notch and 2" block. So the chance of hyperflexing it the way im doing it is the same chance of hyperflexing it any other person would.

kelson

Reaction score
you could always go 4x4 leaf and 2.5 in block :smile:

micpun

Reaction score
i wanna say that means only a overall drop of 1.5" in the back. the stock xrunners are lower than 4x4.

kelson

Reaction score
i wanna say that means only a overall drop of 1.5" in the back. the stock xrunners are lower than 4x4.

no. http://www.customtacos.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=133181

i have them on the back of my truck. its about a 4" drop total, with 2" blocks.

so since your trucks are about 1" lower, it would equate to around an inch drop with just the 4x4 leafs, and then you could either go 2, 2.5 or 3 in blocks depending. idk your trucks are heavier and no x runner has tried this setup yet.

Murderface

Reaction score
U def can't have a notch and run the composite leafs or u will hyper flex them and crack them.
If this was already mentioned just ignore this post

Top Bottom