Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Transmission Fluid Change

Darker6

Reaction score
changed the oil yesterday, i felt a difference for sure, but it still grinds 5th for me =/ i'll just keep easing her in 5th..

apparently, the previous owner had changed it not so long ago, seeing i drained pretty clean oil out the tranny, haha.. oh well, at least i got to know my truck better.. and felt good knowing previous owner took good care of her =)

Shacho

Reaction score
Just completed the fluid change and wanted to echo with pics what have already been put out about filling the tranny via the shifter.

IMAG0012.jpg
Shifter removed from base plate mount via pushing down on inter tab and rotating counter-clockwise

IMAG0013.jpg
Access to service tranny

IMAG0015.jpg
Servicing tranny with the good stuff (MT-90)

IMAG0016.jpg
Re-installed everything that was removed to gain access. The hard part of this process was jacking the truck up/down. This forum/other's write-up were extremely helpful. Thanks!!:top:

Attachments

• IMAG0014_BURST002_COVER.jpg
    IMAG0014_BURST002_COVER.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 335
Reaction score
The problem actual stems from additives. The factory recommendation is for gpi 4 or 5 and it comes with five witch was the original factory spec. However it was later found that some of the materials used particularly the synchros being brass that the additives in the gpi 5 doesn’t stick well so the gpi 4 is what should be used if I’m not mistaken.

Reaction score
Does anyone here double clutch during high rpm gear changes. I recommend practicing during normal driving condition and it will become second nature. There are many advantages to doing this but most importantly it allows the transmission input shaft to slow down its rotation which I turn allows the next gear choice to mesh more smoothly. Give it a try and let me know what you all think

Top Bottom