Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dipstick Issues

SSSXR

Reaction score
Went to check my oil level yesterday.

Tried to pull the dipstick out, didn't budge.

Used two hands, yanked on it, came out maybe 1/4".

Tried a few more times. (I could see the whole front end lifting when I pulled)

This is where it is now. LOL

v8hhed.jpg

I noticed the little black o-ring seals were missing.

My best guess is being winter they froze to the metal pipe and are now jammed/wedged in there preventing me from pulling out the dipstick.

I've thought about getting a small torch and heating up the pipe in hopes it will expand and i can pull it out...

What do the experts think?

Murderface

Reaction score
Why not pot small amount of oil down in it and try to work it around to see if it will break free. I wouldn't try a torch at all

triumphx

Reaction score
If the dipstick tube bolts to the block, i would just unbolt it so you dont end up with that oring in your oil. Not sure if it does but thats your best bet

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
...or shoot some penetrating lube down the tube to free it up.
Once out, change the oil ASAP.

triumphx

Reaction score
After removing it, run a borecleaner for a firearm down it to free the orings up if they dont come out by themselves

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my moms truck. It eventually came out though. As for taking the whole dipstick out there is a bracket with a bolt to hold it in place but it just preses into the motor and seals with o rings like the dipstick. I have a spare stock stick and the tube off my old motor if you need any parts.

Also. Where there hell have u been? Haven't seen u on here much lately. Also when did you get headers? Lol

Last edited:

X-roller

Reaction score
get some pliers and twist it as close to the base as possible.... if it's going to break there isn't much you can do.... if it does then you should have some of the dip stick protruding out still and grab that... after you get the dipstick out I would recommend replacing it whether it breaks or not unless it was frozen on there...

Gadget

Reaction score
Yep, squirt some oil or WD-40 down the tube and let it soak. You should be able to work it out after a while.

G

SSSXR

Reaction score
*bows to xru experts*

thank you, Ill let you know how it goes. might have to wait until the weekend to do it though.

Sly - whatup, yaaa i've been on the rollercoaster of life the past few months i still check in but haven't been posting. been hanging out with a girl on and off too so you know how that goes. lol

got the headers from the last URD group buy on Tacoma world, less than a year ago i think. i dunno. doesn't look like ill be able to spend any money on the truck anytime soon though :,(

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
spending money on girls.....think'n with your dipstick eh Andrew:biggrin:

Reaction score
I have the same issue with mine now. Tried the WD-40 and a little oil in from the top to no avail. I'm pulling up on the yellow plastic ring with a 6" extension for a 1/2" socket wrench and cannot make it move.

Top Bottom