Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Installed TRD Supercharger, now what...

30Birdy

Reaction score
After I finish installing the kit on my truck, what do I need to do before I take it to the dealer to get reflashed? Should I start it to prime fuel and adjust coolant levels, etc...? Is it safe to drive it there?

justin13703

Reaction score
Just take it easy on it and don't let it see boost and you'll be fine.

30Birdy

Reaction score
Anybody install their own supercharger and then drive it to the dealer to flash the new calibration?

TRON

Reaction score
Yes many people have done this... Like Justin said, stay out of boost, drive there slow and go get your reflash:top:

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
also don't let the dealer charge you anymore than an hour, you might even be able to talk them down to half an hour of labor. It really doesn't take long, trust me I've done a few ;)

Process:
Hookup techstream
Perform "health check"
click the yes next to the engine calibration ID
Load the "TIS webpage"
Download and open the new software
reflash ecu

This all takes about 15 minutes if an experienced tech does it. Best of luck and as the others said, drive it easy and stay out of boost and you will be fine :)

30Birdy

Reaction score
Got to page 24 and quit because sunset. The crank bolt and fan bolts are the hardest parts so far. Don't want to nit pick, but I had to retap one on the idler studs and one of the lock nuts was messed up right out of the bag. I probably won't get back to it until Tuesday now.

iniazy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Be sure to torque your crank pulley bolt to 180 lbs.ft. If you have a manual it is easy, shift to 4th gear, have someone hold the breaks and torque. If it is automatic, it is quite tricky to torque it. There are many techniques for it, best thing is remove the starter motor and have someone stick a big fat flat screwdriver into the starter ring gear on the flex plate.

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
Put your socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt, then put the breaker bar against the frame rail and tape it there if necessary. Tap the starter, it will break the crank pulley bolt loose. (I believe its the passenger side frame rail, but check before doing it! I haven't done it this way in a long time as I usually pull the radiator and use impact on it if I can't get it with a wobble and impact. Also be sure to stay clear of pinching hoses or smashing things with the breaker bar during the process, this is why I mentioned tape it, so it doesn't go all willy nilly on your soft underbelly parts ;) )

Retorquing - best method is mentioned above unless you have a nice chain or strap wrench, if you use a chain wrench use an old piece of drive belt or get some leather to wrap around the crank pulley to protect it from the teeth on the chain wrench.

30Birdy

Reaction score
Back at it today and finished it all up. Purged fuel, engine coolant and supercharger coolant. I have to wait until Friday to get it in to the dealer for the reflash.

The crank bolt was a cinch with a manual 3/4 impact(a.k.a. snap wrench). Torqued new one with 4th gear and Ebrake, no problem.

One lock nut was deformed, one stud had to be retapped and one spark plug missed electrode. Who do I complain to about that. The local dealer made me buy a whole set of plugs. Ouch, out $50.

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
At a dealer you can only buy sets, they only come in packs of 4. Dealers see a VERY low turnover of these plugs this is why they do this. But as torspd said, get them from urd or lc engineering these companies sell 1 at a time or all of them if needed. If you go to a dealer and get plugs you usually will only be able to buy 4 or 8.

30Birdy

Reaction score
Supercharger reflash at the dealer last night. Finally got to drive it around. Way not impressed. Guess I'll have to throw the wallet at it some more. Pulley, intake, E fans, Hmmmmm.

Can XR

Reaction score
Supercharger reflash at the dealer last night. Finally got to drive it around. Way not impressed. Guess I'll have to throw the wallet at it some more. Pulley, intake, E fans, Hmmmmm.

What other mods do you have ?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
With that as the only bolt-on, it only bumps the whp to approximately 260-270. Exhaust components, intake, pulley, and tune will give it close to another 100.

madtrucker

Reaction score
Wow, I'm surprised to hear that. My s/c really gave the truck some pep. It was noticeable, way more torquee.

Top Bottom