Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

URD Spec-U exhaust supercharged application

bobber bill

Reaction score
Current:

- TRD supercharger (7psi max boost)
- JBA long tubes

- custom y-pipe with OEM cats
- Magnaflow 2.5 cat-back

Anybody go from a similar 2.5 exhaust setup to the URD 3-inch and get their money's worth in usable power?

Going have the truck properly dyno-tuned pretty soon and I'm wondering if the extra $1k will be worthwhile.

I've been hearing about fitment issues with the spec-U exhaust as well. Anybody know if URD has taken care of these issues?

Gadget

Reaction score
I am not aware of any fitment issues with the XRunner and the Spec-U exhaust. We have had reports of a very small number of people having a slight problem with the Double Cab Long Bed trucks.

G

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't speak to the differance. I do know from experience the spec u sounds incredible.

When you say you are going to have the truck properly dyno-tuned what tuning device are you running?

bobber bill

Reaction score
Good to hear that the fitment issues only affect double cab trucks. Mine shouldn't be an issue then.

I have the URD Maf cal for the time being but that can change anytime. I was told that it would be sufficient for my expectations.

If I already have a free-flowing y-pipe and add a 3" cat back, is the spec-U going to do anything more for me other than make my truck sound like a European sports car?

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Do you have a A/F gauge? Do you have the trd reflash? The MAF calibrator only affects your truck in open loop so that means your tuning will only affect the truck under wide open throttle. That means when your normally driving around your running lean. The spec-u system should give you back your low end that you lost and give you more throughout the entire powerband. Also with the urd MAF cal gadget suggests that you street tune it over dyno tunning it.

bobber bill

Reaction score
I have a narrow band a/f gauge, 12.8 at WOT.

TRD reflash done. Spoke to Gadget a couple times on the phone and he said the MAF CAL would be a good solution when dyno tuned by Autowave. They said that they do a lot of tuning for people that he sends them.

Just to clarify, how did I lose low end power?

Also.... In case I didn't make it clear before, I'm wondering if the spec-U makes a noticeable difference versus any other y-pipe/3" cat back combo...

Gadget

Reaction score
Do you have a A/F gauge? Do you have the trd reflash? The MAF calibrator only affects your truck in open loop so that means your tuning will only affect the truck under wide open throttle. That means when your normally driving around your running lean. The spec-u system should give you back your low end that you lost and give you more throughout the entire powerband. Also with the urd MAF cal gadget suggests that you street tune it over dyno tunning it.

Here we go again. When tuning the MAF Calibrator we start at idle and work out to full throttle and full RPM. There is a ton of beneficial tuning that is done in closed loop mode and it fixes a lot of problems caused by after market bolt ons and fixes a lot of problems caused by poorly designed intake systems.

G

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Here we go again. When tuning the MAF Calibrator we start at idle and work out to full throttle and full RPM. There is a ton of beneficial tuning that is done in closed loop mode and it fixes a lot of problems caused by after market bolt ons and fixes a lot of problems caused by poorly designed intake systems.

G

Highlighted for importance :top: Way too many people try to tune on the dyno first hit at WOT.

x-runner kid

Reaction score

G
Ok good to know. So it does have an effect while on closed loop?

x-runner kid

Reaction score
I have a narrow band a/f gauge, 12.8 at WOT.

TRD reflash done. Spoke to Gadget a couple times on the phone and he said the MAF CAL would be a good solution when dyno tuned by Autowave. They said that they do a lot of tuning for people that he sends them.

Just to clarify, how did I lose low end power?

Also.... In case I didn't make it clear before, I'm wondering if the spec-U makes a noticeable difference versus any other y-pipe/3" cat back combo...

With the spec-u system there is no loss of low end power. Most of the time when you open up the exhaust you loose a little low end power. Not 100% on if you exhaust combo did this but I know a few ppl who has. (3-4whp in lower rpm 5-6wtq) being that your supercharged you prob didn't. Even that being said your prob going to see a little gain through the mid to top end. Most of all the exhaust note will change. Don't know if that's worth $1k to you or not though.

bobber bill

Reaction score
If anybody has anything conclusive or relevant to add, I'd appreciate it.

No offense but I'm not looking for theoretical advice from internet bench racers.

Aspen_S/C

Reaction score
No offense but I'm not looking for theoretical advice from internet bench racers.

Some years back I found it pretty easy to get frustrated at the whole aftermarket niche in the beginning, but I learned to be patient, you will do better if you do too. Free info costs either way and the good tips take time to roll in, folks have other things to do.

And no matter how solid the info is, how perfect you think things will go after getting the beta, not being OEM it almost never works out that way. The Spec-U exhaust I have on my truck was fitted for a stock height and suspension 4x4 Tacoma, not the modified rig I have, so I had to cut the tail pipe off just past the last hanger in order for it to clear the aftermarket leaf springs. I also have a bit of resonance from the flex coupling that I toned down a bit by putting a metal hose clamp on, still not totally gone but not the nasty noise it used to make.

I'm pretty happy with the big upgrade I did but I came from stock headers & Y-pipe, no UCON-EMS, no exhaust cam gears to a considerable upgrade. With the exception of needing to do a one on one with Scott from iTronix to work out some code throwing, the whole operation is pretty fantastic.

If you try to not be in a hurry and take your time getting info, you can work out in theory if it is worth it for you or not. But only when you are motoring down the highway can you say yes or no.

And Autowave is great, wish they were in my neck of the woods, one of the best FI tuners in the West so maybe ask them what they think too.

Good luck and have fun!

XMPLRY808

Reaction score
You will notice gains with the 3" I would just go to a local exhaust shop and redo the piping cheaper. I paid dyno tuners to tune my truck with bad luck so I learned to tune it myself.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
K thanks for the wisdom

At the tops of the N/A Performance and F/I performance sections, there are Sticky'd dyno threads. Go browse through those and get find what you're looking for.

Top Bottom