Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

A testament to tuning the X-Runner....

Blue10XR

Reaction score
I just wanted to post a little lesson I learned with my first attempt at tuning.

I had no previous experience in tuning, none the less with a 1GRFE. 2010 X-Runner
I probably had no business trying to do this but I admit I am a little hard headed and dedicated to learning so here goes....

I purchased a set of 80lb injectors harness adapters and a fuel pump upgrade from Gadget (URD).
I spoke to him about tuning these injectors in and he almost talked me out of it but I said the hell with it and made the purchase. At worst I would but an alternate ECU and chop the harness up and really get crazy if I couldn't get it to work.

I installed the injectors on Sunday and the truck ran the same day but was running pretty poorly as you can imagine after adding a bunch of fuel. I drove it to work and CEL was on before I got halfway to work (about 24 miles). I knew it wasn't running well so I babied it both ways.

I took Tuesday off to try and dial it in a bit. I can honestly say I spent the entire day and made no real progress. I was struggling to get anywhere fast. I was either running really rich and tripping the CEL or too lean and pinging (detonating) with no real explanation. There was no rhyme or reason.

I was frustrated and wondering if I needed to rent a vehicle before I blew the engine on this one trying to learn to tune. Did I mention I was hard headed?

So I stopped around 8PM and took out Gadgets U-Tune manual and read it in detail without skipping one word. I found the reason for my struggles and some great examples of how/why things were acting erratically when I was trying to tune and engine with absolutely zero experience in doing so.

Gadget I want to say THANK YOU for that invaluable literature!

I am not quite tuned for max power but I have beat on the engine pretty hard and no more CEL:rockon::rockon:

I am going to dial her in some more this weekend and hopefully install the fuel pump just to have to dial it back in again, and if all goes well it will be time to bolt on the manifolds and turbo!

I don't think I did any damage to the engine because I lifted the throttle on even the slightest sound.

Gadget said it best, DO NOT TRY TO TUNE CLOSED LOOP, YOU WILL LOSE THAT BATTLE EVERY TIME!
Thanks for your help and words of advice Gadget!!

I learned a tremendous amount and I am happy to say I am well on my way to boosting this thing even if all I have is a Unichip to do it with....LTFT and STFT are a BITCH:)

To be continued....

Gadget

Reaction score
Don't quite remember saying that about closed loop tuning. You do have to tune closed loop and it is very important and serves as a base for open loop. You just can't alter the fuel mixture in closed loop unless you use the URD AFR Sensor Calibrator or the MAPECU AFR Adjust Module.

Please to hear you are making progress!!!

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Taking the steps to get things done. I approve! :adore:

Blue10XR

Reaction score
Don't quite remember saying that about closed loop tuning. You do have to tune closed loop and it is very important and serves as a base for open loop. You just can't alter the fuel mixture in closed loop unless you use the URD AFR Sensor Calibrator or the MAPECU AFR Adjust Module.

Please to hear you are making progress!!!

G
I stand corrected, you didn't say that specifically! I read where you said not to try and fight the ECU as you will lose that battle every time.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
How's the tuning coming along? Are you doing this with or without the turbo kit installed?

Blue10XR

Reaction score
Without the turbo kit for now, i figure if I cant get it running right without it I damn sure have no business trying to get it running with it...

I need to update my "mods" so for just the Unichip and the 80lb injectors form URD. Still need to install the fuel pump mod. Not looking forward to that one. I did read where you are "the man" on those upgrades..

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Fuel pump mod is super easy. Mark everything that looks like it needs it, and have your gas tank near empty.

Toyota Tech

Reaction score
Replacement of any factory piece with anything other than another factory piece is a "mod" or adding anything that didn't come from the factory with it, to include adding things from other trim packages sometimes even can be a "mod". :top:

Gadget

Reaction score
Mod_Mirrors_scooter_mod_revival.jpg

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Well I know what a mod is, you just made it sound like you were modifying the stock system. So basically your replacing the factory pump with an aftermarket one

Blue10XR

Reaction score
Well I know what a mod is, you just made it sound like you were modifying the stock system. So basically your replacing the factory pump with an aftermarket one
That is correct. Along with that process you have to modify the factory fuel pump bucket to accommodate a hose clamp to secure the pump in position. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Nah it's all good. I'll be replacing my pump sometime soon. Never changed the filter or anything so I think it might be time to upgrade.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you've got over 30k miles on the filter, it is time to change it. :top:

Blue10XR

Reaction score
All done!!! Did it today. I wasn't sure about the little hose that was on the factory pump so I took it out and kept it just in case. Nothing in the URD instructions mentioned that little detail but the pictures I saw didn't show it connected so I assume it is not necessary. I hope I did the right thing there??
It started up and ran with no leaks!!! I will go put a few bucks in the tank and drive it around a bit and check for leaks again.

Not a hard job, on a scale form 1 to 10 I say it was a five. Mostly because I don't have tiny hands.
I did break 2 small plastic pieces in the process that hold the fuel lines. CHEAP ASS PLASTIC!!
I cable tied them back in place and if I ever have to drop the tank again I'll replace them.

Top Bottom