Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Frame Recall in progress!

easts1d3

Reaction score
As some of you may know there is a campaign for 2004-2008 tacomas for frames rotting out.
My truck was approved to get a new frame, control arms, leaf springs, brake lines and all the hardware!

Last edited:

Hard Taco

Formerly Known As "Sn3akrs"
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of work. Glad I live in a climate that doesn't see harsh winters

hiflyer

Reaction score
woah! that's intense! glad warrenty is covering it!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh wow! That is one heck of a job. Glad it is covered though. Makes me iffy about my frame. Even though I live in a more temperate climate.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
My frame is way worse than that....they better cover it. Jesiah, did you have the "dime size" hole everyone keeps talking about that's required for replacement? Also did you truck go in with your drop installed?

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
My frame is way worse than that....they better cover it. Jesiah, did you have the "dime size" hole everyone keeps talking about that's required for replacement? Also did you truck go in with your drop installed?

The hole is in his last pic. Left of the small rectangular hole on the frame

Yes his drop was still on

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Oh boy I hope it's the same as before.. I have a feeling there's gonna b a lot of different things that u didn't see before or notice that u will now. It's like awarped frame it's never the same again...

justin13703

Reaction score
Oh boy I hope it's the same as before.. I have a feeling there's gonna b a lot of different things that u didn't see before or notice that u will now. It's like awarped frame it's never the same again...

Better than hitting a pothole and having your frame break in half lol

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score

Annnd that's why I won't let them touch my truck lol

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Trying to cut corners and save costs. Coming back to get them in the end.

easts1d3

Reaction score

Yeah my drop kit and tcai were installed when it went in for the frame swap, my Trac bar was installed at the initial assessment. And it was deemed irrelevant to the frame rotting away..

They have been helpful with installing new "non" oem parts and with splitting my motor from my transmission to replace the throw out bearing and grease the fork pivot point.

They swapped my xbrace over to the new frame since it is powder coated and I'm keeping the new xbrace to powdercoat and to sell to someone.
I also was able to keep the new oem leaf springs incase I need them in the future! :top:

Parts replaced by Toyota
-frame
-upper and lower control arms
-leaf springs
-brake lines
-2 body mounts

Parts I bought that they installed free of charge
-sway bar end links
-inner / outer tierod ends
-u joints
-throw out bearing
-idler pulleys and belt
-motor mounts
-front brakes

If I had ordered the proper front shocks and strut mounts they would have replaced those too

My truck will be ready for me monday to be picked up

Jwall

Reaction score
wow man they really worked with ya and hooked ya up. good to hear !! were any of the parta u paid for needed to be replaced or just because they are there and saves ya time and money down the road

Micro

Reaction score
This is the one big gripe I have with Toyota. A frame that won't outlast the drivetrain. I've been seeing this in Toyotas since they started making pickup trucks. I have a frame rotted '98 Tacoma that mostly sits now. My x-runner may very well be the last Toyota I ever buy and I've had a ton.

When I bought my x-runner the only thing I shopped for was a perfect frame. Sucks when that's all I worry about. It's great you're getting your frame replaced and Toyota has to make some effort here to avoid lawsuits. But as a consumer I lose all faith when you can't figure a way to rectify chassis rot problems after 30 years. If they just don't care and want to keep running warranty fixes that's even worse.

Everyone check your frame and take advantage of the replacement. These things rot in all environments, not just the bad ones. Then keep up on frame maintenance just like you do oil changes.

justin13703

Reaction score
Man that's cool that they helped you out and didn't give you issues for your mods. If I would have taken mine to my Toyota dealership with an air freshener in it they would have told me that's the reason my frame rotted and to get lost

easts1d3

Reaction score
wow man they really worked with ya and hooked ya up. good to hear !! were any of the parta u paid for needed to be replaced or just because they are there and saves ya time and money down the road

My brakes needed to done, everything else i kinda just replaced it since they have it all taken apart.

The clutch release for no longer rattles and it doesnt squeak when i push the clutch in, im pretty stoked about that.

I got my truck back today and everything looks and runs good! :rockon:

Gadget

Reaction score
Have they said anything about what is different about the new frame that it will not have the same problems of the older frame?

This kind of thing is of great concern. They had this problem with the Gen 1 Tacomas with the US made frames, now it has spread to the Gen 2 Tacomas. Is there any evidence they have done anything to solve this problem?

G

easts1d3

Reaction score
Have they said anything about what is different about the new frame that it will not have the same problems of the older frame?

This kind of thing is of great concern. They had this problem with the Gen 1 Tacomas with the US made frames, now it has spread to the Gen 2 Tacomas. Is there any evidence they have done anything to solve this problem?

G

I was told that it has been through a different corrosion preventative process, whatever that process is I don't know.
But Toyota says DO NOT undercoat the frame. maybe because it has a similar coating to the new chevy frames that if you undercoat the frame, the undercoating will fall right off the next day

Top Bottom