Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Normal Wear

lawlessjr

Reaction score
Here's the story, I took my truck into the dearlership last week to have a 3rd gear grind looked at. I've got Mt-90 and a quikshift installed and 17,000 miles. I get a call monday from them telling me that they have to get approval from the reginal guy to tear apart the transmission to find were it is coming from. Yesterday I get a call from the shop foreman telling me to come down and drive the truck because they can't duplicate the noise. SO I go down there drive with the foreman, it grinds 3rd for a good 5 miles, then it warms uip and it shift fine. Today I get a call from the service manager telling me that beacuse of the way I drive the truck the syncros have worn out and i will have to pay to have the trans torn apart and diagnoised. At this point I am like hey the truck is still way under warranty and you are telling me that i have worn out the syncros before I wore out the factory wiper blades. He goes on the tell me that syncros are normal wear item and therefor toyota wont replace them. I know they are wear items, but to wear out in 17,000 miles I call B.S. I call Toyota and they tell that their hands are tied because the dealer has not properly diagnoised it yet. So I look to the advice of my fellow XRU family, what would you do.

Rant over, sorry for the long post but its been a mind numbing day. Thanks, Mark

ICEMAN

"I drive in the dirt"
Reaction score
I think DeathShadow will have his .02 for you!

morcheez

Reaction score
my third gear grinds everyonce in a while in the mornings when its not warmed up ...but it only does it once...and only when its really cold...hope my problem doesnt end up like yours...i think its crazy they can call it normal wear after 17000 miles ...goodluck sir

xrunner5-0

Reaction score
I dont seem to have this problem, but with my past history with my stealership you will really have to fight! Good Luck.

BlackCat

Reaction score
Threaten arbitration.

Ask them why would the synchros be bad when cold but fine when warm ? Yes, synchros are "wear items", but they typically outlast the vehicles they're installed in.

On another point, try replacing the tranny oil. I don't know how old your current oil is, but I had shifting issues on my Mazda, it occasionally wanted to clip 3rd gear. I changed the oil (I was within the change interval anyway), and the problem vanished. Not sure what the story is there, but might be worth a try if you can't convince the dealer to honor your warranty.

s/chargedxrunner06

Toyota Master Tech
Reaction score
That's BS :thumpdown: , tell them you want a 1-800 number for Toyota and that you want to talk to the district representive about this, granted some of the ways of driveing does have some issue to do with the trans failure but on the other hand the trans should be able to handle some of that anyway, unless it's just total abuse then it should be covered 6 years 60K miles. good luck :top: and keep us informed

4VsX

Reaction score
Ive worked at so many dealers. Sometimes they can be nice and sometimes they can just be plain rude. I just see people fight and they win. They threaten to do this and that, blah blah. The way I see it, I would warranty that for you. Its stupid. :bird:

s/chargedxrunner06

Toyota Master Tech
Reaction score
Ive worked at so many dealers. Sometimes they can be nice and sometimes they can just be plain rude. I just see people fight and they win. They threaten to do this and that, blah blah. The way I see it, I would warranty that for you. Its stupid. :bird:
Same here X 2 on that :top:

quicky06

Reaction score
if synchros are a wear item then so are piston rings. its a powertrain warrenty. the only part of ur powertrain not covered is the clutch

Stevenredx

Reaction score
As the guys have already stated, it should be covered under warranty. I just had mine replaced because of the 3rd gear and 5th gear syncro issues. Here is the number to corporate to file a complaint on the dealer you took the truck to = 800-331-4331

lawlessjr

Reaction score
I've called that number and was told that until I give the appoval of allowing them to tear down my trans they can't really do any thing. If they find something do to abuse then I would have to pay for the diag. F-that. But i got to thinking last night, that I am going to change the fuild back to standard 75w-90 gear oil. I'm thinking the syncro is a little sensitive and the synthtic fuild just to slippery for it. Its worth a shot, we will see. But the crap that, that dealer gave me I will never go back there, luckily I have 3 dealers with 15 miles of my house. well now 2 :top:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I've called that number and was told that until I give the appoval of allowing them to tear down my trans they can't really do any thing. If they find something do to abuse then I would have to pay for the diag. F-that. But i got to thinking last night, that I am going to change the fuild back to standard 75w-90 gear oil. I'm thinking the syncro is a little sensitive and the synthtic fuild just to slippery for it. Its worth a shot, we will see. But the crap that, that dealer gave me I will never go back there, luckily I have 3 dealers with 15 miles of my house. well now 2 :top:

Very simple. Call up corporate and ask THEM to SEND YOU the arbitration paperwork. The dealer service manager will be contacted by Toyota (trust me). Then go into Toyota and ask for documentation of attempted repair. Also ask for a written statement saying they wont repair the issue. Build a case against them and if necessary file it with the state and get the arbitration rolling. They will call uncle, Toyota takes arbitration very seriously and they should.

Tell them (corporate and the dealer) you want another X-Runner to drive to prove that this is not just a problem on your truck. Ask that the field rep be present.

Pull up the multiple page thread on gear grinding problems, print it out, highlight all the people who state they have issues, drop it in the service managers lap.

I can make any X-Runner grind with out MT-90 in it. When you are out on your test drive explain to the guy EXACTLY how to reproduce the problem. If he cant demonstrate it for him.

When I took care of my grind issue I was informed that Toyota KNOWS about it. They like to beat around the bush though.

Last edited:

lawlessjr

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, where would I be without all of you. This is why I love this site. I will go over my paperwork and see if they wrote any thing down if not I'll go get that written statement. From what it wounds like, I have a long road ahead of me, but it is worth it cause I like this truck to much to sell it and get something else. thanks again.

Tapp

Reaction score
wow bro, i really hope they take care of this for you!!!... good luck bro!!:top:

yermomsbox

Reaction score
I have the same issue however im at 84.5K and have an extended wty thru carmax. What ever became of your issue? What should I do? Is the fluid change the best bet?

rebXehle420

Reaction score
My trucks brand new 7000km on it and 3rd gear sort of "chatters" into gear, not quite grind, since i bought it. Its not bad enough yet to take it in and it only happens every once in awhile.. Thats bullshit though that they wont do anything... Normal wear item loooool. I hope they dont give me such a hard time

justin13703

Reaction score
My trucks brand new 7000km on it and 3rd gear sort of "chatters" into gear, not quite grind, since i bought it. Its not bad enough yet to take it in and it only happens every once in awhile.. Thats bullshit though that they wont do anything... Normal wear item loooool. I hope they dont give me such a hard time

Read through this thread and be prepared for Toyota to do the same thing to you when you take it in.

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=53670

Long story short, if they tell you they need to take it apart before they decide to cover it or not, tell them to piss off. They're just gonna tear it down, deny the warranty because of a BS reason, and then try to hit you with a 1k dollar bill for labor since they didn't cover it.

Top Bottom