Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Idea for an actual, affordable brake upgrade-$500

Reaction score
I actually cant believe no one has thought of this yet. Lexus uses the same bolt patter and hub bore as our trucks. Our rotor is 10.8" diameter, the 04 Lexus LS430 uses a 12.4" rotor. The LS430 also uses a 4 piston aluminum caliper. The calipers run about $80 plus $40 core ..ish. Rotors range from $50 to whatever in crossdrilled/slotted/whatever.

Scarebird is a company that makes brackets for classic cars to upgrade the brakes or convert from drum to disc. But I see on their site they have a honda civic kit, so this shows they might consider something for something outside their norm. Their prices are sensable too. This means you can use a factory available part, with options of whatever is available for the LS430. You won't have to worry about some comapany not carrying it anymore.

I'm going to email them and see if they're interested. Chime in if you're interested.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm interested to see how this turns out. Purely for the knowledge,since I have a six lug.

Hard Taco

Formerly Known As "Sn3akrs"
Reaction score
Yeah but performance brakes is raping us on the bracket cost

Reaction score
Ok cool. How much is PBU charging? Just registered but .....waiting for the owner to approve? And just looking at that, pretty sure I can fabricate that. Won't look as pretty, but I'm modifying a salvage XR as a utility truck and would like the extra stopping power.

Last edited:

XTINCT_yota

Reaction score
As far as it goes, PBU is pretty good stuff. I actually put together a pretty good kit for just about $500. If you can have someone make the brackets at the same quality or better, at a lower price, then you'd be saving people some money. GL with the kit.

813XRUNNER

Reaction score
really interested in upgrading the brakes on the 07 XRunner without having to pay so much for the name brand big brake kits. I seen what "performance brakes unlimited" has made for XR and I really like the tundra calipers with the brembo rotors but I cant seem to wrap my head around the 1K price tag. Any suggestions?? or should I just bite the bullet?

x-runner kid

Reaction score
really interested in upgrading the brakes on the 07 XRunner without having to pay so much for the name brand big brake kits. I seen what "performance brakes unlimited" has made for XR and I really like the tundra calipers with the brembo rotors but I cant seem to wrap my head around the 1K price tag. Any suggestions?? or should I just bite the bullet?

I bought the brackets and then everything else I sourced for myself. My bbk only cost me about $650.

813XRUNNER

Reaction score
Thanks! I searched online and called around for pricing on the other parts besides the Bat caliper bracket and it almost added up 600 bucks. The Brembo Rotors are not cheap. I decided to bite the bullet and order the complete PBU brake kit today. Its 50% cheaper than most BBK out in the market. Super Excited!! :rockon:This mod was long overdue. Will let you guys know how it goes and will try to post some pictures.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Those that have bought the PBU kit what brake lines did you get? Everything else seem pretty simple except finding the right lines to use

Edgeman

Reaction score
Consider me interested too. Finally did my front pads, and reviewed the videos on youtube before doing the job. Well, all of those must have been 4x4 Tacomas with 4-piston fixed calipers instead of our single piston floating calipers. My initial thought was "how can we put those calipers on our X-runners?" Since XRU was down for the transition, I posted on TW (and don't think anyone ever replied). Glad XRU is finally back online!

Yes I'm very interested! I'll probably also install SS brake lines when I do the upgrade.

Just saw the PBU brackets are up to $399 now. Starting to look a little too pricy...

Top Bottom