Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ACDelco or...RedLine MT

Reaction score
I tried the search function at least a dozen times I promise.

From Wiki:

"The AY-6 is a 6-speed manual transmission manufactured by Aisin. It is designed for longitudinal engine applications and can handle up to (-->| 345 ft·lbf |<--) (468 N·m) of torque.
General Motors used the AY-6 as RPO MV1, MV5, and MV7.
Gear ratios:
1 2 3 4 5 6 R
4.17 2.19 1.49 1.19 1.00 0.84 3.67
Applications:
2004 Holden VZ Commodore
2005 Cadillac CTS
2005Toyota Tacoma
2006 Holden VE Commodore
2006 Lexus IS220d
2006 Lexus IS250
2006 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2010 Chevrolet Camaro
2010 Lexus IS200d"

-So, I initially was going to try and put in some liquimoly for my trans fluid swap, but could literally not find any for sale not from far easter Europe or Asia...

I got some Redline MT-85 two quarts: you all had me convinced it was top of the line stuff.
I figured since I live in MD the 85w would help me out and I have some MoS2 I had on hand incase I decided to add a little in...
I guess try and patch up the 2nd gear lock out on downshifts that I bought the truck 8 months ago with (just about 77k miles) but since the weather got warmer and I was not ready to pull the trigger on a trans fluid change so early I left it and learned to half shift down into 2nd as in putting slight pressure into 2nd gear gate and then kick the clutch, sometimes she will grab 2nd no clutch, its not so bad...

I stlll want to make sure if I should go with this MT85 (by winter time since yes I am crazy and will be using it in the snow with pretty proper tires of course) with a smidge of mos2 by next summer {?} possibly (the regular can)

or buy the ACDelco synchro. (with whatever friction modifier that variety has)
or even the regular ACDelco synchromesh and add my smidge of LM MoS2.
^which I assume is what GM uses in all the other cars with the ay6 factory fluid...so all biast asside it could very well be superior if GM has the bind on Toyota when it comes to manual trans fluids but sorry to nooby speculate on that, so there it is. hoping some of you guys have good things to say about the ACDelco because I cant find any mention of it here, but aparently Ford Tremec guys praise it and I don't think I've really heard any real complaints from the GM ay6 crew with their GM fluid. Dang I hope Im not reposting anything but I feel like this is a solid thread topic guys pls feel free to chime in and get your posts up, heh.

Really not sure here... coming from a 4cyl ranger that always shifted plenty good enough for itsself im a little stuck on this new thing I've had for 8 months with obvious shifting...unfortunates. Ones im definately trying to 1remedy and not do the oposite. Tho im not sure but it seems like mine has survived the 77k pretty decently well. some older guy cruised around in it I guess then some punk who didnt know what an oil change was ran with it for a few months before I picked her up.

Thats definately at least 2 cents there in that OP i hope lol. how many can you guys spare me:argh:

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm partial to MT-90. Love the stuff. Only fluid I run.

Phracker

Reaction score
I had a nagging transmission when I first bought my Tacoma. With only 40K miles on it, I was surprised that the 2nd and 5th syncro had already started to fail. The truck was running Royal Purple and had a surprising amount wear suspended in the fluid when it was drained (Similar to 70's metal flake paint). I think the transmission can survive so long as the operator isn't a "can't find them, grind them" type of driver.

I've always been a fan of Amsoil products since the late 90's. Personally have ran it in high mileage BMW's (83 633 with 186k miles and 89 325is with 152k miles) both with getrag 265/240 respectively. Never had issues shifting, even on a cold day. The Tacoma got 75w-90 Severe gear and it has helped with my syncro issues. The only time it puts up a fight now is spirited driving and that's alot better then what I started with.

I grew up in a house using it, so I'm a tad biased. Father runs their products in his Kubota, Bobcat and a wide collection of cars. Now I know I'm no longer talking about manual transmission fluid, but the product has proved itself to me over countless years of earth moving, spirited driving and a son (i.e. Me) that loved to redline everything (Including the lawn mower).

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a nagging transmission when I first bought my Tacoma. With only 40K miles on it, I was surprised that the 2nd and 5th syncro had already started to fail. The truck was running Royal Purple and had a surprising amount wear suspended in the fluid when it was drained (Similar to 70's metal flake paint). I think the transmission can survive so long as the operator isn't a "can't find them, grind them" type of driver.

I've always been a fan of Amsoil products since the late 90's. Personally have ran it in high mileage BMW's (83 633 with 186k miles and 89 325is with 152k miles) both with getrag 265/240 respectively. Never had issues shifting, even on a cold day. The Tacoma got 75w-90 Severe gear and it has helped with my syncro issues. The only time it puts up a fight now is spirited driving and that's alot better then what I started with.

I grew up in a house using it, so I'm a tad biased. Father runs their products in his Kubota, Bobcat and a wide collection of cars. Now I know I'm no longer talking about manual transmission fluid, but the product has proved itself to me over countless years of earth moving, spirited driving and a son (i.e. Me) that loved to redline everything (Including the lawn mower).

Can't go wrong with Amsoil either. Great stuff from what I'm told.

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
Agreed, Amsoil and Redline are both top notch oils. I've used both and like both. I run the Redline in mine currently. I bought my truck with 50k and had to have the synchronizers replaced. My rebuild is all on the forums under "replacement sychronizers" if you ever need that info.

Reaction score
I appreciate all the input fellas thanks. Would you say the amsoil severe gear (the one being referenced) pretty dang similar to the ACDelco fluid?
Tho one is gear oil and one is syncromesh trans fluid.

I also read pennzoil / amsoil are pretty similar, but I really wanted to find the best fluid for this Aisin Ay6 and what I gathered from my few days googling this subject it seemed like the ACDelco was praised, but im sure it is very similar to Amsoil and pennzoil.

What about adding just a few drops of MoS2 solid lubricant ? Ive read posts pretty much declaring the OK to do so (imho), but wanted to ask about adding it to the redline MT85. Which im also wondering if anyone might have anything to chime in about this fluid beinng too thin.
or just plain stupid to use MoS2 in Redline MT oil.

I just figure the ACDelco with "friction modifier" is already concocted with a similar concept in mind.
hmm, patience is key isnt it.

Trust me I've been wanting to swap this trans fluid for a long time Id just hate to dump out $40 or w/e it was worth of redline and becuse I decided to MoS2 it because I done a dumb thing..

Last edited:

Phracker

Reaction score
The major difference between GL-5 & GL-4 is the addition of EP additives. It's a double edge sword as I spoke to my Amsoil dealer and realized why my choice of fluid is a result of the last owner.

Amsoil datasheet discloses that severe gear is a GL-5 lubricant. If your syncros are not shot, you use a the standard manual transmission & gear lube which is rated as a GL-4 lubricant.

The last owner had royal purple in the truck. Royal purple sells both a GL-3 and a GL-4/5 lubricant (So it's GL-5). If I had sampled my fluid, I could have determined the wear as a result of which fluid was used. If he used the GL-5 product, it will protect your gears but your syncros will begin to fail sooner as a result of the high EP content in the fluid. The more EP protections, the harder the protective film is between the gears. Less wear will occur on the gear face but the sacrificial layer is now stronger than the softer metals inside of a transmission (i.e. brass syncros) and so a few microns of brass will get pulled off as the system rotates. If he used GL-3, then the system lacked protection all around and I was getting extended wear on my transmission as a result.

The Amsoil guys advice over the phone was simple. If you're not having syncro issues, stay with any GL-4 product with no additional additives. If you already have issues with the transmission, ask yourself how bad it is. You can use a band aid like the a GL-5 lube or add MoS2. The other choice is you can replace the syncros or swap the transmission. If you use MoS2 be careful because that again is a EP additive and once you go that direction you may have to live with the results. I've never used it myself, but have heard alot of people speak highly of it in the motorcycle community.

I see ACdelco has 10-4059 GL-4 75w-90 product. Redline MT90 or MT85 are also good choices because they are GL-4 and full synthetic. I don't know anyone who runs Pennzoil to really comment on it.

85 and 90 weight is another thing. Viscosity that is too high could prevent shifting the gears until the transmission warms up. If it is too low, it could cause the synchronizer and dog gear to engage too quickly, resulting in grinding or hard shifts. When it doubt, see how cold/warm it gets where you live.

Last edited:

Phracker

Reaction score
Agreed, Amsoil and Redline are both top notch oils. I've used both and like both. I run the Redline in mine currently. I bought my truck with 50k and had to have the synchronizers replaced. My rebuild is all on the forums under "replacement sychronizers" if you ever need that info.

I'm looking into this as my next project.

Reaction score
Awesome post Phracker

I'm about to just mix 1 qt each GM fluid and redline... jk I'll probably pour in the Redline once the weather gets more normal, I guess.

XMPLRY808

Reaction score
I bought the load of gl4 mtf cause the type of brand I bought on their website there's only gl5 l so I went to the store and bought all their mtf lol

TRON

Reaction score
Redline MT 90 is great except for the winter months

volcomstone_1223

Reaction score
I put MT-90 in my trans about 10k miles ago and since then ive had the trans get stuck in 6th a few times, 5th gear synchro is gone 6th synchro is almost gone and sometimes to engage 1st I have to start to let the clutch out before it will fully engage, not sure if is the oil or trans but wasn't that bad before I flushed the trans.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I put MT-90 in my trans about 10k miles ago and since then ive had the trans get stuck in 6th a few times, 5th gear synchro is gone 6th synchro is almost gone and sometimes to engage 1st I have to start to let the clutch out before it will fully engage, not sure if is the oil or trans but wasn't that bad before I flushed the trans.

It's the trans, never heard of anyone have these problems with a fluid change.....unless you put in regular gear oil and not actual MT-90.

justin13703

Reaction score

It's the trans. Not even the best oil out there can save those pieces of crap. Just know that if you hadn't put in the MT-90, the problems would have shown up twice as fast.

volcomstone_1223

Reaction score
It's the trans. Not even the best oil out there can save those pieces of crap. Just know that if you hadn't put in the MT-90, the problems would have shown up twice as fast.

Yeah I figured, oh yeah drag strip probably didn't help either. :laugh:

Top Bottom