Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Boosting 2016 Tacoma ?

lamia2super

Reaction score
With Sema around the corner I was wondering if anyone is or could be boosting the 2016 model.

Reaction score
How hard will this new motor be to work on? I'm a noob, and I find the 4.0 is real easy to work on.

Gadget

Reaction score
There is a good bit of difference, mostly in the fueling of it.

It has 12 fuel injectors, 6 port and 6 direct injectors. I do not understand why Toyota takes this approach when others just use direct injectors. Must be a good reason.

It does complicate control, the ports are used for low speed operation and the direct injectors are used for power. The on/off switching between the two is likely to be the complication for taking control away from the stock ECU.

There is also two different fuel systems, low and high pressure. The good thing is that the ECU monitors the pressure and controls the pressure of the two systems so we can likely take control of that as well.

The cylinder heads have just one exhaust port instead of three.

I still have not seen any of these trucks in my area yet. Hopefully soon.

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Build it then boost it Gadget!

lamia2super

Reaction score
There is a good bit of difference, mostly in the fueling of it.

It has 12 fuel injectors, 6 port and 6 direct injectors. I do not understand why Toyota takes this approach when others just use direct injectors. Must be a good reason.

It does complicate control, the ports are used for low speed operation and the direct injectors are used for power. The on/off switching between the two is likely to be the complication for taking control away from the stock ECU.

There is also two different fuel systems, low and high pressure. The good thing is that the ECU monitors the pressure and controls the pressure of the two systems so we can likely take control of that as well.

The cylinder heads have just one exhaust port instead of three.

I still have not seen any of these trucks in my area yet. Hopefully soon.

G

toyota should have just added direct injection with a electric turbo...instant power and good mpgs....or maybe they will put that in their diesel motor for the tundra or international versions

BMWtech

Reaction score
At least with having port injectors to supplement the direct injection the valves likely won't get major carbon buildup.

Gadget

Reaction score
That is the one thing I was thinking as well. I know Ford had a hell of a time with carbon build up from the PCV system. Maybe the port injection can keep that down. There has to be a real good reason to add all that cost.

G

Redlantern

Reaction score
Yea. I agree. I remember getting an email saying there's going to be a sc made for it too. Trying to find it.

lamia2super

Reaction score
any leaked info out yet? im pretty interested in selling my truck for a 2016 offroad model.....might be parting out soon.....ive read that many of suspension parts are the same as the pervious model

might go with AT because they dont make a TRD OFFROAD access cab in MT. only the double cab has a MT unless i go to a sport model.....i spend so much time driving around i wanted to get something a little smoother, quieter, and can haul a little better

Gadget

Reaction score
When you are ready for suspension, let me know. If you get a manual let me know right away.

G

lamia2super

Reaction score
When you are ready for suspension, let me know. If you get a manual let me know right away.

G

manual vs auto ? what do you think is better ?

i just like the auto because more features and since the pervious manual wasn't so good

Gadget

Reaction score
Based on the Toyota's track record, I would recommend the auto.

G

lingenfelterm

Reaction score
My thoughts...

So this motor being part of the 2GR family means it's more or less a modified 2GR-FE? (D4S *direct and port injection*)? I've read it will switch between an auto cycle and atkinson cycle using the dual VVti. The 2GR-FE was a pretty solid build for Toyota... put the SE Camry in the low 14's and has been very reliable and can handle abuse pretty well. It does sound like it may be harder to "crack" in regards to modding and tuning, but I'm sure it can be done :adore: I noticed on the article, they mention the peak torque was at 4600rpms which is pretty high, but that would only be a concern if you're towing something pretty heavy. If you're doing that regularly, you probably bought the wrong Toyota model... I know, easy to confuse Tacoma and Tundra... I saw there are both 5 and 6 speeds being offered, depending what model you choose. Like others have said, it'd be hard to argue against a 6 speed AUTO with the problems we've had with our AY6's. They've got an orange TRD model in a 6 speed on the show room floor at my local dealer right now. They won't be allowed to sell it for a few weeks though, trying to generate some buzz while waiting for inventory to come in.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
That is the one thing I was thinking as well. I know Ford had a hell of a time with carbon build up from the PCV system. Maybe the port injection can keep that down. There has to be a real good reason to add all that cost.

G

Most other manufacturers with direct only end up with carbon build up on the intake valves, then large chunks break off and cause a misfire or eventually compression goes all together due to the valves not closing, from either carbon build or the rings going to shit due to bore scoring and ring failure. Lexus, on its 3 and 4gr is still battling to this date. While the direct and port injected engines (5.0l v8 and 2grfse) don't have the carbon build up issue. I've pulled manifolds off of is250s with 35k miles and the valves are completely caked. While a 06 is350 with 200k valves look brand new. Why? The port injectors clean the intake valves. Even when some of the 2grs and 5.0 burn oil, they still won't misfire and generally still drive great despite the oil consumption.

There are updated parts that are supposed to fix the oil consumption, but all cars burn some oil, therfore the carbon build up happens again. All other manufacturers with this issue just sell top engine cleans and tell the owners to eff off. Lexus at least tried to fix it...

Be happy the new tacoma shares the dual injection. Trust me. Don't hold your breath for headers tho...the new head design is interesting to say the least.

Top Bottom