Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Do Aftermarket speakers really sound that much better than stock?

shaX 07

Reaction score

Lets assume you compare the same Aftermarket Deck (a decently sounding one) using stock speakers vs using the same deck with a decent set of Aftermarket speakers..

Is the sound difference going to be super drastic, or hardly noticeable?

I've almost decided I don't want to put a sub in my XR due to the space it would take up, and I figured maybe a nice deck/speaker set up can sound really good with a decent amount of bass...

Oh and BTW, when I say "set of decent Aftermarket speakers" I don't mean the most expensive ones on the market.. I'm talking probably some high rated Kicker or Pioneer speakers that run between $60-100 bucks a pair.

DOGSTOY06

Banned
Reaction score
I would say yes. although my stereo installers were surprised how well the stock speakers sounded by the small magnets they found on the stock speakers.you don't have to have 1000 watts to have good sound,just the right combo.:top:

InkedRunner

Reaction score
I think the speakers sound pretty nice stock myself. I am not sure $60-100 range will give you much more. Just my opinion. I still have stock head unit and speakers though. So I am not that much help.

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
I think the speakers sound pretty nice stock myself. I am not sure $60-100 range will give you much more. Just my opinion. I still have stock head unit and speakers though. So I am not that much help.

If you listened to a nice aftermarket system, and then a stock one. its almost night and day difference.

Justin

InkedRunner

Reaction score
If you listened to a nice aftermarket system, and then a stock one. its almost night and day difference.

Justin

Oh I am sure it is. I will not say stock is the best by far. But just not sure 60-100 bucks will push it that far. If so I would probably put some aftermarket speakers in for that price.

joman

Reaction score
i would personally spend a lil money for a sound system...good face deck and speakers....all prices pending... with 100 you can get some really good speakers... and add anoher 200-250 you can get a good face deck...perferably double din.....or single depending on your taste.....

Xfataldesires

Reaction score
i say yes cause depending on the brand and out put from the deck speakers make a big defference if you take your stock speakers then compare them with aftermarket you can here the sound quialty come a lot better

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
Oh I am sure it is. I will not say stock is the best by far. But just not sure 60-100 bucks will push it that far. If so I would probably put some aftermarket speakers in for that price.

a nice 2 or 3 way speaker will give you better fill.

I would rather just save and run a nice set of components. thats the best bang for the buck

Justin

shaX 07

Reaction score
I would say yes. although my stereo installers were surprised how well the stock speakers sounded by the small magnets they found on the stock speakers.you don't have to have 1000 watts to have good sound,just the right combo.:top:

Can you let use know what you're running for a set up, and include prices for what you bought..

What do you think of this set up:

Deck: ($250.00)
Pioneer DEH-P6000UB
CD receiver with built-in MOSFET amplifier (14 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
  • Easy EQ 7-band equalizer with six preset tone settings
  • loudness
  • Sound Retriever for improving sound of compressed music files
  • high- and low-pass filters

Front Speakers: ($70.00)

Kicker KS693 6x9's
  • 3-way 6" x 9" speakers (pair)
  • CIMP (Curvilinear Injection-Molded Polypropylene) woofer cone with Santoprene™ surround
  • 1" titanium dome tweeter
  • 3/4" titanium dome tweeter
  • certified for marine use
  • power range: 5-100 watts RMS (300 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 30-21,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 92 dB
  • top-mount depth: 3-1/4"
Rear Speakers: ($100.00)

Pioneer TS-A1682R 6 1/2's
  • 6-1/2"/6-3/4" 4-way car speakers (pair)
  • injection-molded polypropylene (IMPP) woofer with Aramid fiber and butyl rubber surround
  • 1/2" PET dome tweeter and 3/8" PET dome supertweeter
  • 1-1/2" lightweight diaphragm balanced-dome midrange
  • power range: 2-50 watts RMS (280 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 30-33,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 91 dB
  • top-mount depth: 2-5/16"

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
Can you let use know what you're running for a set up, and include prices for what you bought..

Head Unit - Pioneer AVH-P69800DVD - $650 (Ebay)

Front Speakers - Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS components - 250 (best money spent)

Rear Speakers - Diamond Audio D6 D661i - 100 ( ebay)

4-channel - Pheonix Gold Titanium 500.4 (900 new) 175 - Audio Forum

Sub Amp - Pheonix Gold Tantrum 500.2 (750 new) 150 - Audio Forum

Sub - Diamond D6 (135 off ebay) in a sweet sub box :rolleyez:

if I were you , a nice headunit and a set of front components and leave the rears stock. the fronts will give you the best fill and you can tune the rears to mids with the headunit.

shaX 07

Reaction score
Head Unit - Pioneer AVH-P69800DVD - $650 (Ebay)

Front Speakers - Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS components - 250 (best money spent)

Rear Speakers - Diamond Audio D6 D661i - 100 ( ebay)

4-channel - Pheonix Gold Titanium 500.4 (900 new) 175 - Audio Forum

Sub Amp - Pheonix Gold Tantrum 500.2 (750 new) 150 - Audio Forum

Sub - Diamond D6 (135 off ebay) in a sweet sub box :rolleyez:

if I were you , a nice headunit and a set of front components and leave the rears stock. the fronts will give you the best fill and you can tune the rears to mids with the headunit.

I thought the front speakers were 6x9? And you're running 6 3/4? I'm confused.. you can run multiple sizes in the front?

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
I thought the front speakers were 6x9? And you're running 6 3/4? I'm confused.. you can run multiple sizes in the front?

yeah, Tacotunes.com and Mr Marv make adapters to run round speakers :top:

I like Mr Marvs

2ef0_1.JPG

Justin

Last edited:

Tapp

Reaction score
a nice 2 or 3 way speaker will give you better fill.

I would rather just save and run a nice set of components. thats the best bang for the buck

Justin

after being in your truck, my stereo just isnt the same anymore!!:frown:

Scratchy

Reaction score

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
Ummmm YES!

and I'm not tryint o be an azz....

The stock speakers in the X are horrid! I bought 2 sest of Alpine SPR-17LS Type R Components, Alpine MRP-F240 amp and,Alpine CDA-9853 HU...on EBAY for $640...

If you take your time and look on Ebay you can find really good deals on car stereo stuff....just be carteful and tak eyour time...

Oh ya, I also had 2 JL 10w3v2's in a custom box with a rockford amp and cap.....it sounded sick as hell!!!!! But I sold the subs oon Ebay.

IMO: my highs and Mids can't be beat...even though my back tweaters are bolwn...JC I gotta replace them!! MY rear tweeters are pointed right at your head, but I will say the speakers ppositions in the front aren't the greatest....a nice kick panel setup would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
I SAY YES...get an aftermarket system!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :top::rock:

Last edited:

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score

Justin

He listend to my Alpines on the way home from the meet...don't think he paid much attention though....:thumpdown: PK where we ate lunch Inked....

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
i would personally spend a lil money for a sound system...good face deck and speakers....all prices pending... with 100 you can get some really good speakers... and add anoher 200-250 you can get a good face deck...perferably double din.....or single depending on your taste.....

But you gots to get an amp....a head unit won't push aftermarket speakers to their fullest.

morcheez

Reaction score
currently i have an alpine hu and the factory speakers with hi-pass filters on them , and a jl 10w3v3 ...i am pleased with it enough and dont feel the need to buy any other speakers to replace the stockers in the near future

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
currently i have an alpine hu and the factory speakers with hi-pass filters on them , and a jl 10w3v3 ...i am pleased with it enough and dont feel the need to buy any other speakers to replace the stockers in the near future

Not to knock you, but I have never understood the idea of running a good sub with stock mids and highs.....:dontknow:
Honestly, no offense in any way man....

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score

Lets assume you compare the same Aftermarket Deck (a decently sounding one) using stock speakers vs using the same deck with a decent set of Aftermarket speakers..

Is the sound difference going to be super drastic, or hardly noticeable?

I've almost decided I don't want to put a sub in my XR due to the space it would take up, and I figured maybe a nice deck/speaker set up can sound really good with a decent amount of bass...

Oh and BTW, when I say "set of decent Aftermarket speakers" I don't mean the most expensive ones on the market.. I'm talking probably some high rated Kicker or Pioneer speakers that run between $60-100 bucks a pair.

Check out Justin's box...FTW!!!! :rock::top:

Top Bottom