Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Forced Cold Air Intake

Coupe

Reaction score
O.K.

I have been working on this awhile and it grew into a little more of a project than I originally thought.

I wanted to make the Hood Scoop functional. After examining the profile of the truck and the numerous discussions on this, I decided to go another route.

I wanted to put an intake to the grille. I saw two (2) ways to do this.

1. Lower grille funnel and run a hose to under the inner fender and come up into the engine compartment under the air box (TRD intake).

2. My second approach was to take the URD and Volant intake and blend the best ideas from them. This was the path I took.

I already had a TRD intake, so this is the basis of my start.

I cut a 3" diameter hole into the TRD box and glues in a short piece of aluminum tubing. This was done with a quick setting 2-part epoxy.

sept01011-1.jpg
sept01007-1.jpg

I siliconed a plastic mesh to the inside of this aluminum tube. This does two (2) things.

1. It keeps big crud out of the intake box.
2. It acts as a coalescer. If water gets into the duct, water will coalese on the mesh and then drip to the bottom of the intake box. It will drain out of the original air intake into the box or it will drain to the grille. The duct is sloped downward to the grille.

I shot a little black paint on it, just to make it a little cleaner.
sept01001-1.jpg

I bought a straight section of 3" diameter silicone tubing and joined it to a 45 degree bend. I joined the sections with a 1 1/2" long piece of 3" aluminum tubing. I bought both of ebay. These are common supplies for making intercoolers.
sept01032-1.jpg

sept01031-1.jpg

sept01030-1.jpg

sept01029-1.jpg

The black plastic ties was to holds everything together during the mock up process. ( I did not have my hose clamps yet)

I originally started with 4" hose, but found it a little tough to fit. As a result, I dropped down to 3"

Here is a pict of a 4" hose at the mock up stage.
sept01019.jpg

The end of the 3" 45 degree lateral, I put a 3" X 4" silicone adapter or reducer. I keep red tubing under the hood for wow factor. Once the tubing is in front of the radiator support, I switched to black. This keep the scoop and duct from being an eyesore form the front of the truck.

sept01008-2.jpg

Where the 45 degree lateral goes through the radiator support (behind the headlight) had to be opened up. I believe this step is also a requirement of a URD. I stole another idea from URD and used a plastic trim piece to clean-up the cut-out. I used a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to make the cut-out. I went through about six (6) wheels.
HPIM2614.jpg

HPIM2618.jpg

I bought a used Hallcraft intake for a C5 Corvette of ebay. I like the curvature of the intake. I cut this in two (2) sections and used a bench grinder to shape the bell in the middle of the intake. This could also be done with a stock Corvette intake, the aftermarket Hallcraft just looked right to me. I would not buy one of these new, because of the cost. Once I got it to the shape I wanted, I used silicone and glued it to the 3" x 2" reducer.

HPIM2475.jpg

This is what it looked like when I got happy with it.

sept01026-1.jpg

This is what it looks like, when assembled.

sept01004-3.jpg
sept01003-4.jpg

sept01008-3.jpg

A couple of things, I did here. I rolled the 45 degree lateral downward to the scope. This will inhibit water from entering the intake box. The scoop is also nicely tucked to one side of the grille, so not to block the radiator.

This is a pic with the grille reinstalled.

sept01015-3.jpg

I need to do some testing, but on my maiden voyage tonight, air intake temps were 1~2 degrees over ambient temp ( as read by the scan gauge).

At idle at a stop light, temps rose to 10 ~ 12 degrees over ambient. They dropped 5~6 degrees at 30 ~40 mph.

I will give a follow up in a week or two.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Nicely done!!! This is quickly growing into a popular mod with the qwest for lower intake temps. :rock:

NixXR462

Reaction score
thats nothing you should see ntinhris forced intake job. it looks so good you'd think it came that way. yours looks good too. good job.

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
I would open up the end of it more, but that is just me. Otherwise, definitely good work!:top:

eXuser01

Reaction score
sweet coupe that looks good ill be keeping an eye on this thread

Vince77

Reaction score
Damn nice work man. Looks pretty clean. :top:

WCD

Reaction score
I wonder how much CFM you're pushing through the intake now compared to the original?
Nicely done. :top:

Coupe

Reaction score
I wonder how much CFM you're pushing through the intake now compared to the original?
Nicely done. :top:

Thanks

I would guess the cfm would be the same, only cooler. Since I am n/a, the engine can only process is much air as the engine can pump. Under extreme acceleration, I have made it easier for the air to come into the engine.

xXLuckyiAMXx07

Reaction score
wow that is the most creative mod ever

i got to give it you man awesome job....ima try to do something like this.. all i need is to sell my K&N and get a trd CAI hehe ill do something similar to yours!

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Nice work dude!

I think it's a great idea and it can only help :top:

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
Thats a really nice setup....:top:

Much nicer than Steves.....:biggrin::laugh:

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Cool bro. Very cool. I need to get a scan guage to see if there is any difference in air temps with my ram air intake....

I think because it angeled down...it shouldn't be an issue. I have the Volant ram air that sits right on top of the radiator.......and I haven't had a problem.

what about rain

Last edited:

Tapp

Reaction score
what about rain

what do you mean what about rain??? its not going to get to the filter..and what little does will just work itself out..its at a slope!!!

Very nice work Coupe!!! Looks great!!!!:top:

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
what do you mean what about rain??? its not going to get to the filter..and what little does will just work itself out..its at a slope!!!

Very nice work Coupe!!! Looks great!!!!:top:

Be nice to Matt, he sits on the bus next to me in the morning....:laugh:

Top Bottom